Robert M. Conway practices in the area of intellectual property law with emphasis on software and technology licensing (domestic and international), information technology business transactions (acquisition and disposition of intellectual property assets as well as joint development arrangements) and distribution agreements. Mr. Conway also practices in the areas of commercial contracting, antitrust, mergers/divestitures and computer litigation. In addition, he has comprehensive experience in the telecommunications, computer and manufacturing industries.
Prior to joining Duane Morris, Mr. Conway served as in-house counsel to Lucent Technologies, where he provided worldwide legal support to the Software Products/e-Services Business Group. He also served as in-house counsel to NCR (assistant general counsel), AT&T (executive level) and GE (group counsel).
Admitted to practice in Pennsylvania and Ohio, Mr. Conway is a 1976 graduate of The National Law Center of George Washington University (JD), a graduate of the University of Dayton, where he earned an M.B.A., and a graduate of Miami University (Ohio) (BA).
- Represented leading manufacturer of telecommunications equipment and software in software/patent/technology licensing (both domestic and international) transactions.
- Negotiated development, joint-development, consultant and sub-contracting/licensing agreements.
- Concluded acquisitions and divestitures of software and technology companies and subsidiaries having values in excess of $1 billion for Fortune 100 companies.
- Developed and implemented contracts and associated documentation for teaming, dealer, distributor, reseller, value-added reseller and sales agent transactions.
- Implemented and maintained Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and export control compliance program for multinational telecommunications company.
- Managed and negotiated $3 billion information technology outsourcing project on behalf of major equipment manufacturer.
- Initiated expedited advertising review procedure and elimination of advertising consent decree for major consumer products supplier.
- Represented Fortune 100 computer company in 2 jury trials and numerous commercial arbitrations and bench trials in state and federal courts.
- Negotiated numerous consulting services, professional services and maintenance services contracts on behalf of software and hardware vendors.
- Created contracts and associated agreements for use by clients in providing web based and e-commerce products.
- Developed strategy and negotiated contracts involving state, county and local government (or political subdivision or agency) requests for proposal or requests for bid, plus follow-on subcontracts.
- Supreme Court of Pennsylvania
- Supreme Court of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- Duane Morris LLP
- Partner, 2001-present
- Lucent Technologies, Inc., Murray Hill, New Jersey
- Managing Corporate Counsel, 1996-2001
- AT&T Corporation, Basking Ridge, New Jersey
- General Attorney, 1993-1996
- NCR Corporation, Dayton, Ohio
- Assistant General Counsel, U.S. Commercial and International, 1985-1993
- General Electric Company, Louisville, Kentucky
- Counsel, 1982-1985
- NCR Corporation, Dayton, Ohio
- Attorney, 1976-1982
Honors and Awards
- BTI Client Service All-Star, 2015 and 2016
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Ohio Bar Association
- Featured in "GCs Name Favorite IP Lawyers: Duane Morris' Robert Conway," Law360, February 7, 2016
Selected Speaking Engagements
- Panelist, Paul Kircher "Venture Talk" radio program, WWDB (860 AM), October 2004
- "Planning for Distribution," session of Law Seminars International conference "Protecting and Exploiting Internally Developed Software," March 22, 2004
- Panelist, "Intellectual Property and Why it is So Important and Valuable in Today's Economy," Paul Kircher Radio Program, Channel WWDB, June 14, 2002.