Robin L. McGrath is a partner in Duane Morris's Intellectual Property Practice Group and serves as a team lead for the firm's Fintech industry group. Robin's practice focuses on patent litigation and counseling, as well as trade secret, trademark, and copyright litigation and counseling. She has extensive courtroom experience representing both plaintiffs and defendants in patent and technology disputes involving a wide variety of industries, including fintech, payment systems, e-commerce, consumer products, communication networks, mobile phones and other portable devices. Robin has been recognized by Best Lawyers as the 2019 "Lawyer of the Year" for Patent Litigation in Atlanta and the 2017 “Lawyer of the Year" for Intellectual Property Litigation in Atlanta and by The National Law Journal as a 2018 and 2019 Woman Leader in The Law. She has also been featured as one of the leading intellectual property attorneys in Chambers, Best Lawyers in America, and Georgia Super Lawyers for more than ten years running.
Ms. McGrath is a 1995 graduate of the University of Florida, Levin College of Law, where she was managing editor of the Law Review, and a 1989 magna cum laude graduate of the University of Texas at Austin.
Areas of Practice
- Intellectual Property Law
- Represented real estate technology company in patent infringement action litigation and Federal Circuit appeal relating to online property searches and obtained summary judgment of invalidity under §101, which decision was affirmed by the Federal Circuit.
- Represented network security company in patent litigation case asserting ten network security patents.
- Represented national bank in litigation accusing text alert system of violating the Telephone Consumer Protection Act.
- Represented multiple financial institutions and technology providers in patent infringement action and successfully invalidated all four patents-in-suit in IPR proceedings.
- Represented well-known financial institution in patent infringement action relating to text banking and obtained summary judgment of non-infringement.
- Represented banking institution in patent infringement action relating to mobilebanking resulting in a dismissal with prejudice of all claims.
- Represented banking institution in patent infringement action relating to ATM and branch locators resulting in a dismissal with prejudice of all claims.
- Represented banking institution in patent infringement action relating to secure financial transactions resulting in a dismissal with prejudice of all claims.
- Represented multiple banking institutions in patent infringement action relating to ATM and Branch locator technology resulting in dismissal with prejudice of all claims.
- Represented banking institution in patent infringement action relating to notification and authorization system for financial transactions.
- Represented technology provider as plaintiff in patent infringement case resulting in a jury award of damages and entry of permanent injunction.
- Represented Inter-exchange long distance carrier in patent infringement litigation resulting in determination of invalidity and non-infringement.
- Represented one of the largest carpet manufacturers in patent infringement litigation resulting in jury verdict of patent invalidity after three week trial.
- Represented technology provider as defendant in binding mediation resulting in a complete defense victory after a four day plenary hearing.
- Represented large-scale retailer and payment card company in successful defense of patent infringement litigation.
- Represented medical manufacturer as plaintiff in trademark and breach-of-contract litigation resulting in injunction and multimillion-dollar jury verdict.
- Represented international industrial manufacturer in successful defense of patent infringement litigation.
- Represented governing, regulating and promoting body for major sporting league as plaintiff in successful trademark infringement action resulting in injunction and payment of damages.
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- Supreme Court of the United States
- University of Florida Levin College of Law, J.D., 1995
- Managing Editor, Law Review
- University of Texas at Austin, B.B.A., magna cum laude, 1989
- Duane Morris LLP
- Partner, 2017-present
- Paul Hastings
- Partner, 2011-2017
- Alston & Bird
- Partner, 2002-2011
- Associate, 1995-2002
- Ford Motor Company
- Parts and Service Zone Manager, 1989-1992
- Intellectual Property Inn of Court
- Georgia Bar Association
Honors and Awards
Listed in Georgia Super Lawyers, 2009-2019
Named a "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers in America in the area of Patent Litigation, 2019
Listed in U.S. News/Best Lawyers "The Best Lawyers in America," 2006-2019
Listed in Chambers USA: America's Leading Business Lawyers, 2017-2019
Named to the National Law Journal’s list of Cryptocurrency, Blockchain and FinTech Trailblazers, 2018
Ranked in the IAM Patent 1000, 2018
Listed as an "IP Star" in Managing Intellectual Property's IP Stars, 2017-2019
- AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®
Author, “How Fed. Circ. Missed The Intent Behind CBM,” Two-Part Series, IP Law 360, August 2017
- Author, "Supreme Court Draws Crucial Distinction In Landmark Patent Exhaustion Decision," The Intellectual Property Strategist, July 2017
- Co-author, "The Supreme Court's Decision in CLS Gives More Clarity to Patent Eligibility," Paul Hastings Client Alert, June 23, 2014
- Co-author, "Supreme Court Reverses Induced Infringement Standard Articulated By Federal Circuit," Paul Hastings Client Alert, June 4, 2014
Selected Speaking Engagements
Speaker, "Overview Of Legal Issues Facing the Fintech Industry," Duane Morris Annual Alumni CLE, Philadelphia, October 25, 2018
Speaker, “Fintech 101,” State Bar of Georgia, Seminar, April 11, 2018
- Speaker, "Helping Fintech Companies Compete in the United States," Duane Morris LLP, Webinar, November 16, 2017
- Speaker, "Operating Company vs Operating Company Litigation: A Proactive Defense," The IP Defense Summit: Atlanta, September 26, 2017