Samantha L. Haggerty practices in the areas of litigation and gaming law. Ms. Haggerty has represented gaming industry clients in the licensing and regulatory process, including online gaming and sports betting clients. She has assisted with internal investigations of gaming companies and advising clients with respect to compliance and control enhancements. She contributes regularly to the Duane Morris LLP Gaming Law Blog and serves as Secretary to the New Jersey State Bar Association’s Casino Law Section.
Admitted to practice in New Jersey and Pennsylvania, Ms. Haggerty is a 2017 graduate of Villanova University School of Law, where she was a senior staff member of the Villanova Law Review and elected to the Order of the Coif, and a cum laude graduate of Muhlenberg College.
- New Jersey
- Villanova University School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 2017
- Senior Staff Member, Villanova Law Review
- Order of the Coif
- Muhlenberg College, B.A., cum laude, 2014
- Duane Morris LLP
- Associate, 2017-present
New Jersey State Bar Association
- Young Lawyers Divison
- Casino Law Section, Secretary, 2018-present
Honors and Awards
Selected for the "20 Under 40" Young Professionals by South Jersey Biz Magazine, 2019
Selected Speaking Engagements
Moderator, "Legalized Sports Betting – Emerging Issues and Opportunities," Duane Morris CLE Seminar, April 25, 2019
Speaker, "Gaming in New York and Beyond – Looking to the Future," Duane Morris LLP, New York, August 15, 2018
Speaker, "Sports Betting Update: How Murphy V. NCAA (2018) Changed the Game" NJICLE, Webinar, August 1, 2018
- Represented, pro bono, 11-year-old child in connection with appeal of initial determination denying eligibility for children’s SSI benefits; obtained a fully favorable decision holding that child was eligible for benefits on account of child’s learning disability.
- Represented J.P. Morgan, and their co-lenders Winthrop Capital Partners and Witkoff Group, as first lien lenders in the closing of a debt restructuring and equity transfer involving the Ocean Resort Casino, a casino hotel located in Atlantic City, New Jersey.
- Successfully represented a U.S. company in an eighteen (18) month hearing before the Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board involving complicated legal issues under the Pennsylvania gaming law, comparison of the regulation of a licensee in Hong Kong with the regulation of a registered investment adviser in the United States, as well as a comparison of the regulation of an investment company in the Cayman Islands with the regulation of an investment company in the United States.
- Served as regulatory counsel to FanDuel, Inc., a U.S. one-day fantasy sports provider, in connection with its recent merger with Paddy Power Betfair, a leading international sports betting and gaming operator, to form FanDuel Group. FanDuel Group now operates the FanDuel Sportsbook at the Meadowlands Racetrack in New Jersey, becoming an early entrant to the recently expanded U.S. sports betting market.
- Advised FanDuel, Inc. in connection with the submission of one of the first applications for fantasy sports contest licenses required by the Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board.