Sandra G. Stoneman concentrates her practice in the areas of mergers and acquisitions, strategic transactions and venture capital financings, principally in the life sciences, medical technologies and high-tech sectors. Ms. Stoneman also counsels high-growth companies in domestic and international collaborations, licensing and partnering transactions, research agreements and other important commercial and operational arrangements. Additionally, Ms. Stoneman advises management teams and boards of directors on corporate governance and stakeholder matters.
Ms. Stoneman serves as a team lead for the Duane Morris Life Sciences and Medical Technologies industry group and is co-chair of the Emerging Companies group. She is also a member of the firm’s Partners Board.
Ms. Stoneman has received numerous accolades for her work, including being named a 2019 Influencer of the Law (Corporate) by The Philadelphia Inquirera 2018 Best of the Bar (Corporate) by The Philadelphia Business Journal. listed in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business (2018 and 2019) (Corporate M&A and Private Equity), LMG Life Sciences (2018 and 2019) and IFLR1000 (2018 and 2019).
Ms. Stoneman is a 1997 magna cum laude graduate of Temple University School of Law, where she was an articles editor for the Temple Law Review, and is a summa cum laude graduate of the State University of New York at Binghamton.
Areas of Practice
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Venture Capital
- Licensing/Strategic Alliances
- Commercial Contracts
- Corporate Law
- Represented Tissue Analytics, a developer of automated mobile wound and skin imaging and predictive analytics solutions, in its sale to Net Health, a provider of cloud-based Electronic Health Record (EHR) software for specialized care settings and a portfolio company of The Carlyle Group, Level Equity and Silversmith Capital Partners.
- Represented Cegedim (EURONEXT: CGM) in its sale of Pulse Systems, Inc. to Caretracker, Inc. an N. Harris affiliate.
- Represented Socati Corporation, a leading producer of THC-free hemp extract, in its acquisition of Blue Marble, a Montana-based hemp extraction and processing company.
- Represented a pharmaceutical company developing injectable products to treat allergic reactions in its acquisition by a developer of specialty pharmaceutical products; the transaction included upfront cash consideration, additional milestone payments, and contingent consideration based on product sales.
- Represented Flexpoint Ford, a Chicago-based private equity firm focused on the healthcare and financial services industries, in its investment in YPrime, a global leader of cloud-based eClinical solutions.
- Represented The Staywell Company, a health empowerment company, in its acquisition of Provata Health, a digital health company.
- Represented Psyadon Pharmaceuticals, Inc. in its acquisition by Emalex Biosciences, a subsidiary of Paragon Biosciences, bringing with it rights to develop, register and market ecopipam, a new chemical entity with orphan drug designation for the treatment of pediatric Tourette Syndrome in patients under 16 years of age.
- Represented Bracket, a leading clinical trial technology and specialty services provider owned by Genstar, in its strategic acquisition of mProve Health, a leading provider of mobile technologies for life science companies.
- Represented CD Diagnostics, Inc., a Delaware-based diagnostics company focused on developing immunoassays and biomarker testing to inform treatment decisions that improve patient outcomes, in its sale to Zimmer Biomet Holdings, Inc. (NYSE and SIX: ZBH), a global leader in musculoskeletal healthcare.
- Represented Inovio Pharmaceuticals, Inc. in its acquisition of all of Bioject Medical Technologies’ assets to launch a device combining Inovio’s needleless, skin-surface electroporation technology with Bioject’s jet injection technology.
- Represented MELA Sciences, Inc. in its purchase of the XTRAC and VTRAC dermatology business from PhotoMedex, Inc. for $42.5 million in cash and the assumption of certain business-related liabilities and the related financing with institutional investors consisting of a private placement of $42.5 million aggregate principal amount of senior secured notes and convertible debentures and warrants to purchase 3.0 million shares of common stock.
- Represented Unilife Corp. in connection with its announced effort to seek strategic alternatives, culminating in a strategic collaboration with Amgen Inc. for Unilife’s wearable injectable drug delivery systems to use with Amgen’s biologics and other medicines.
- Represented a major French company in connection with a complete reorganization of the worldwide holdings of a significant U.S. subsidiary to enable a $1 billion divestiture and a $650 million divestiture.
- Represented Debiopharm, a Swiss family-owned biopharmaceutical developer and manufacturer, in its Series C investment in Carevive Systems, a leading oncology-focused health technology company.
- Represented OCI Enterprises in its investment in Adicet Bio’s $80 million Series B Preferred Stock financing. OCI Enterprises is the North American subsidiary of South Korea-based OCI Company Ltd.
- Represented Astarte Medical, a precision medicine company using software and predictive analytics to improve outcomes for premature infants, in securing $5 million in Series A Preferred Stock financing.
- Represent international fragrance and flavor company in its strategic investment transactions.
- Represented Micro Interventional Devices (MID) in its $20 million Series D Preferred Stock financing led by Oscor Inc.
- Represented JDP Therapeutics in its $17 million Series A Preferred Stock financing led by CoSci Med-Tech Co. of Beijing.
- Represented VenatoRx Pharmaceuticals, Inc., a biopharmaceutical company developing next-generation antibiotics, in connection with the sale of $42 million of Series B Preferred Stock to various investors, including Abingworth, Foresite Capital and lead investor Versant Ventures.
- Represented Complexa Inc., a clinical stage biopharmaceutical company focused on transforming the treatment of fibrosis and inflammation-associated orphan diseases, in connection with the sale of $62 million of Series C Preferred Stock to various investors, including lead investors New Enterprise Associates and Pfizer Venture Investments, LLC.
- Represented California Safe Soil, LLC, a fresh food recycling company, in its preferred equity financings.
- Represented Keriton, a lactation management system for neonatal ICUs, in its Series A Preferred Stock financing.
- Represented Tissue Analytics, a wound and skin tracking solutions business, in a $5 million Series A Preferred Stock financing led by DigiTx Partners, with participation from strategic investors.
- Represented AgriMetis, LLC, an agricultural crop protection products company, in its $23.5 million Series B Preferred Stock financing.
- Represented Jornaya, a sales insights data company, in a $10 million investment led by Edison Partners.
- Represented Immunome, an immunotherapy company, in its $12 million Series A Preferred Stock financing.
- Represented Intact Vascular, Inc., a developer of medical devices for minimally invasive peripheral vascular procedures, in its $38.9 million Series B Preferred Stock financing to accelerate the development and FDA approval of the company's endovascular dissection repair technology.
- Represented TheraCour Pharma, Inc., a research and development pharmaceutical company, in a license agreement with NanoViricides, Inc. (NYSE Amer.: NNVC), a global leader in nanomedicines against viruses. Under the license agreement, TheraCour licensed technology to NanoViricides for VZV, the virus that causes chickenpox in children and shingles in adults.
- Represented Immunome, Inc., a biotechnology company focused on developing first-in-class cancer therapies by harnessing the human immune response, in a collaboration and licensing agreement with pH Pharma, a South Korean biopharmaceutical company focused on developing innovative healthcare products for unmet clinical and patient needs.
- Represented Ilera Therapeutics LLC in a development and commercial supply collaboration with Toronto-based Ethicann Pharmaceuticals to develop and manufacture Botanical THC to treat chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting. Ilera Therapeutics is part of the Ilera group of cannabis grower/extractor companies.
- Represented Adhezion Biomedical LLC, a privately held medical device company based in Wyomissing, in a long-term supply agreement with Pfizer Inc. for the exclusive distribution rights of Adhezion’s topical skin adhesives.
- Represented Apogee Biotechnology in the exclusive worldwide license to Redhill Biopharma of Apogee's lead compounds and related intellectual property rights.
- Represented Gliknik Inc., a privately held biopharmaceutical company, in its exclusive worldwide license agreement with Pfizer Inc. for Gliknik's recombinant stradomer™ GL-2045, a drug candidate designed to replace and improve on pooled human intravenous immunoglobulin (IVIG).
Mergers & Acquisitions
Collaboration and Licensing Transactions
- Temple University School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 1997
- State University of New York at Binghamton, B.A., summa cum laude, 1994
- Advisory Board, Blackstone LaunchPad, Temple University
PACT (Greater Philadelphia Alliance for Capital and Technologies)
- Board of Directors (2014-present)
- Chair of Board Nominating and Governance Committee (2017-present)
- Member of MedTech Advisory Board (2015-present)
IMPACT Capital Conference
- Conference Chair (2019)
- Member, Steering Committee (2011-present)
- Professional Women's Roundtable
- Member, Advisory Board (2009-present)
- Board of Directors (2002-2009)
Honors and Awards
Listed in The Best Lawyers in America, 2020
Listed in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, 2018-2020
Recipient of the 2019 Top USA Women Dealmakers Awards by Global M&A Network
Rated as "Highly Regarded" for M&A by IFLR1000, 2018 and 2019
Named a 2019 Influencer of Law, Philadelphia Inquirer
Listed in LMG Life Sciences Financial & Corporate Stars, 2018 and 2019
Listed in Philadelphia Business Journal Best of the Bar: Top Lawyers in Philadelphia - Corporate, 2018
- Named one of Pennsylvania's Lawyers on the Fast Track by The Legal Intelligencer, August 2008
- Named a Super Lawyer Rising Star by the publishers of Law and Politics magazine, 2005-2007
- Graduate of Leadership, Inc.
Selected Speaking Engagements
- Moderator, "Medtech Future Trends and Funding Outlook," Philadelphia Alliance for Capital & Technologies, Webinar, May 28, 2020
- Speaker, "How COVID-19 Is Affecting Life Sciences and Medical Technologies," Duane Morris Webinar, April 16, 2020
- Speaker, "CARES Act Webinar: Latest Developments and Insights," Duane Morris Institute (DMi), Webinar, April 3, 2020
Panelist, "Entering the U.S. Market: Considerations for Strategic Transactions and Collaborations," Innovation Across Borders: Strategies for Chinese Life Sciences Companies Doing Business in the U.S. (March 2019)
Moderator, "Innovation Across Borders: Strategies for U.S. and Chinese Companies in the Health Sciences Industry," Duane Morris LLP and Chinese Biopharmaceutical Association (USA) (January 2019)
- Panelist, "Thinking About a Startup? When to Form a Company and How to Begin," BioStrategy Partners' Practical Knowledge Series (May 2017)
- Panelist, "Preparing for the Exit," Alliance for Women Entrepreneurs (January 2017)
- Moderator, "Big Data: What are the Opportunities in Healthcare?", Greater Philadelphia Alliance for Capital and Technologies (November 2014)
- Speaker, "Stakeholder Agreements and Choice of Entity", Temple University Blackstone Launchpad Program (October 2014)
Panelist, Pharmaceutical Consulting Consortium International Meeting (February 2014)
Frequent lecturer at The Women's Business Development Center JumpStart panel programs
Panelist, "Power of Persuasion" event hosted by Entrepreneurs' Forum (May 2008)
Speaker, "Choice of Entity," Wharton Venture Initiation Program Presentation (February 2008)
Panelist, "How to Become Fundable," lunch panel discussion at New Jersey Technology Council Venture Fair (March 2006)
- Co-author, "SBA Releases New Interim Final Rule on Review Procedures and Borrower and Lender Responsibilities for Paycheck Protection Program Loans," Duane Morris Alert, May 26, 2020
- Co-author, "SBA Releases Paycheck Protection Program Loan Forgiveness Application," Duane Morris Alert, May 19, 2020
- Co-author, "Small Business Administration Releases Interim Final Rule on Counting Foreign Affiliate Employees under the Paycheck Protection Program," Duane Morris Alert, May 19, 2020
- Co-author, "SBA Further Clarifies Economic Necessity Certification and Audit Procedures for Paycheck Protection Program Loans and Extends Safe Harbor Deadline to May 18, 2020," Duane Morris Alert, May 13, 2020
- Co-author, "SBA Extends Safe Harbor Date for Repayment of Paycheck Protection Program Loans and Clarifies Rules for Counting Employees of Foreign and U.S. Affiliates," Duane Morris Alert, May 6, 2020
- Co-author, "Small Business Administration Opens Economic Injury Disaster Loan Applications to Agricultural Businesses," Duane Morris Alert, May 5, 2020
- Co-author, "CARES Act 2.0 Update on Hot Topics – Need Certifications, Forgiveness, Audits, Tax Deductions, Seasonal Business Loan Applications and Nonprofit Hospital Loan Eligibility," Duane Morris Alert, May 4, 2020
- Co-author, "CARES Act 2.0 Shores Up COVID-19 Economic Relief Programs," Duane Morris Alert, April 24, 2020
- Co-author, "Paycheck Protection Program Loan Forgiveness Update," Duane Morris Alert, April 21, 2020
- Co-author, "SBA’s Interim Final Rule Clarifies Paycheck Protection Program Loan Eligibility Requirements," Duane Morris Alert, April 17, 2020
- Co-author, "Update – Small Business Administration Expands Its FAQs on Paycheck Protection Program," Duane Morris Alert, April 14, 2020
- Co-author, "CARES Act Package Ushers in Changes to OTC Drug Review Process," Duane Morris Alert, April 13, 2020
- Co-author, "SBA and Treasury Release FAQs on Paycheck Protection Program Loans," Duane Morris Alert, April 8, 2020
- Quoted, "Countering Layoffs, Lessons From The First Week Of The CARES Act," Forbes, April 6, 2020
- Co-author, "New Guidance on Affiliate Rules for Paycheck Protection Program Loans," Duane Morris Alert, April 4, 2020
- Co-author, "Paycheck Protection Program Opens with Updated Guidelines," Duane Morris Alert, April 3, 2020
- Co-author, "Pennsylvania Offers Economic Relief Programs for Businesses and Nonprofits," Duane Morris Alert, April 2, 2020
- Co-author, "FDA Unveils Program to Expedite Coronavirus Treatments," Duane Morris Alert, April 1, 2020
- Co-author, "SBA Releases Loan Application for Paycheck Protection Program," Duane Morris Alert, April 1, 2020
- Author, "Update – Small Business Administration Simplifies Economic Injury Disaster Loan Application," Duane Morris Alert, March 26, 2020
- Co-author, "CARES Act Offers Small Businesses Relief Through Paycheck Protection Program," Duane Morris Alert, March 27, 2020
- Co-author, "Small Business Administration Offers Economic Injury Disaster Loans," Duane Morris Alert, March 26, 2020
Co-author, "BYOD and eCOA: A Match Made in Heaven?" FDLI Update, July/August, 2019
Co-author, "Study Sponsors Take Heed: FDA Plans Changes to Expanded Access Program," Duane Morris Alert, Febuary 7, 2019
Co-author, "Five Good Habits of University Researchers Launching Spinouts," Duane Morris Life Sciences Blog, November 5, 2018
Co-author, "Alert: Drug and Device Developers Should be Aware of the Expanded Access Policy Requirement Under the 21st Century Cures Act," Duane Morris Blog, December 2016
- "Celebrating Five Years Stronger: A Few Words from PACT Leaders," imPACT Times, June 2015
- Co-author, "SEC Adopts 'Regulation A+' Rules," Duane Morris Alert, April 10, 2015
- "Judicial and Congressional Back-Door Methods That Limit the Effect of Roe v. Wade: There is No Choice if There is No Access," Temple Law Review (1997)