Sandra G. Stoneman concentrates her practice in the areas of mergers and acquisitions, strategic transactions and venture capital financings, with an industry focus within the life sciences, healthcare and technology sectors. Ms. Stoneman also serves as counsel to high-growth companies, representing them in various matters from formation through exit, including organization matters, founder relationships, collaborations, licensing and partnering transactions, clinical trial and other research agreements and other important commercial and operational arrangements. Additionally, Ms. Stoneman advises management teams and boards of directors on corporate governance matters.
Ms. Stoneman has received numerous accolades for her work, including being named a 2019 Influencer of the Law (Corporate) by The Philadelphia Inquirer and a 2018 Best of the Bar (Corporate) by The Philadelphia Business Journal. She was listed in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business in 2018 and 2019 (Corporate M&A and Private Equity) and in 2018 in LMG Life Sciences and IFLR1000.
Ms. Stoneman is a 1997 magna cum laude graduate of Temple University School of Law, where she was an articles editor for the Temple Law Review, and is a summa cum laude graduate of the State University of New York at Binghamton.
Areas of Practice
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Venture Capital
- Licensing/Strategic Alliances
- Commercial Contracts
- Corporate Law
- Represented Socati Corporation, a leading producer of THC-free hemp extract, in its acquisition of Blue Marble, a Montana-based hemp extraction and processing company.
- Represented a pharmaceutical company developing injectable products to treat allergic reactions in its acquisition by a developer of specialty pharmaceutical products; the transaction included upfront cash consideration, additional milestone payments, and contingent consideration based on product sales.
- Represented Flexpoint Ford, a Chicago-based private equity firm focused on the healthcare and financial services industries, in its investment in YPrime, a global leader of cloud-based eClinical solutions.
- Represented The Staywell Company, a health empowerment company, in its acquisition of Provata Health, a digital health company.
- Represented Psyadon Pharmaceuticals, Inc. in its acquisition by Emalex Biosciences, a subsidiary of Paragon Biosciences, bringing with it rights to develop, register and market ecopipam, a new chemical entity with orphan drug designation for the treatment of pediatric Tourette Syndrome in patients under 16 years of age.
- Represented Bracket, a leading clinical trial technology and specialty services provider owned by Genstar, in its strategic acquisition of mProve Health, a leading provider of mobile technologies for life science companies.
- Represented CD Diagnostics, Inc., a Delaware-based diagnostics company focused on developing immunoassays and biomarker testing to inform treatment decisions that improve patient outcomes, in its sale to Zimmer Biomet Holdings, Inc. (NYSE and SIX: ZBH), a global leader in musculoskeletal healthcare.
- Represented Inovio Pharmaceuticals, Inc. in its acquisition of all of Bioject Medical Technologies’ assets to launch a device combining Inovio’s needleless, skin-surface electroporation technology with Bioject’s jet injection technology.
- Represented MELA Sciences, Inc. (NASDAQ:MELA) in its purchase of the XTRAC and VTRAC dermatology business from PhotoMedex, Inc. for $42.5 million in cash and the assumption of certain business-related liabilities and the related financing with institutional investors consisting of a private placement of $42.5 million aggregate principal amount of senior secured notes and convertible debentures and warrants to purchase 3.0 million shares of common stock.
- Represented Unilife Corp. in connection with its announced effort to seek strategic alternatives, culminating in a strategic collaboration with Amgen Inc. for Unilife’s wearable injectable drug delivery systems to use with Amgen’s biologics and other medicines.
- Represented Astarte Medical, a precision medicine company using software and predictive analytics to improve outcomes for premature infants, in securing $5 million in Series A financing.
- Represented international fragrance and flavor company in its strategic investment transactions.
- Represented VenatoRx Pharmaceuticals, Inc., a biopharmaceutical company developing next-generation antibiotics, in connection with the sale of $42 million of Series B Preferred Stock to various investors, including Abingworth, Foresite Capital and lead investor Versant Ventures.
- Represented Complexa Inc., a clinical stage biopharmaceutical company focused on transforming the treatment of fibrosis and inflammation-associated orphan diseases, in connection with the sale of $62 million of Series C Preferred Stock to various investors, including lead investors New Enterprise Associates and Pfizer Venture Investments, LLC.
- Represented a fresh food recycling company in its preferred equity financings.
- Represented Keriton, a lactation management system for neonatal ICUs, in its Series A Preferred Stock financing.
- Represented Tissue Analytics, a wound and skin tracking solutions business, in a $5 million Series A Preferred Stock financing led by DigiTx Partners, with participation from strategic investors.
- Represented AgriMetis, LLC, a private company innovating agricultural crop protection products, in its $23.5 million Series B Preferred Stock financing.
- Represented Jornaya, a sales insights data company, in a $10 million investment led by Edison Partners.
- Represented Immunome, an immunotherapy company, in its $12 million Series A Preferred Stock financing.
- Represented Intact Vascular, Inc., a developer of medical devices for minimally invasive peripheral vascular procedures, in its $38.9 million Series B Preferred Stock financing to accelerate the development and FDA approval of the company's endovascular dissection repair technology.
- Represented a specialty pharmaceutical company with a focus on the development of novel topical dermatological therapies in connection with its preferred stock financings, totaling $42 million in proceeds.
- Represented Ilera Therapeutics LLC in a development and commercial supply collaboration with Toronto-based Ethicann Pharmaceuticals to develop and manufacture Botanical THC to treat chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting. Ilera Therapeutics is part of the Ilera group of cannabis grower/extractor companies.
- Represented Adhezion Biomedical LLC, a privately held medical device company based in Wyomissing, in a long-term supply agreement with Pfizer Inc. for the exclusive distribution rights of Adhezion’s topical skin adhesives.
- Represented Apogee Biotechnology in the exclusive worldwide license to Redhill Biopharma of Apogee's lead compounds and related intellectual property rights.
- Represented Gliknik Inc., a privately held biopharmaceutical company, in negotiating an exclusive worldwide license agreement with Pfizer Inc. for Gliknik's recombinant stradomer™ GL-2045, a drug candidate designed to replace and improve on pooled human intravenous immunoglobulin (IVIG). Gliknik received an upfront payment of $25 million and is eligible to receive development, regulatory and commercial milestone payments and tiered, double-digit royalties on net sales of any products commercialized under the license agreement.
Mergers & Acquisitions
Collaboration and Licensing Transactions
- Temple University School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 1997
- Advisory Board, Blackstone LaunchPad, Temple University
- PACT (Greater Philadelphia Alliance for Capital and Technologies)
- Board of Directors (2014-present)
- Member of MedTech Advisory Board (2015-present)
IMPACT Capital Conference
- Member, Steering Committee (2011-present)
- Head, Entrepreneur Outreach Committee (2013-present)
- Professional Women's Roundtable
- Member, Advisory Board (2009-present)
- Board of Directors (2002-2009)
Honors and Awards
Recipient of the 2019 Top USA Women Dealmakers Awards by Global M&A Network
Rated as "Highly Regarded" for M&A by IFLR1000, 2018 and 2019
Philadelphia Inquirer: Influencer of Law, 2019
Listed in LMG Life Sciences Financial & Corporate Stars, 2018
Listed in Philadelphia Business Journal Best of the Bar: Top Lawyers in Philadelphia - Corporate, 2018
Listed in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, 2018 and 2019
- Named one of Pennsylvania's Lawyers on the Fast Track by The Legal Intelligencer, August 2008
- Named a Super Lawyer Rising Star by the publishers of Law and Politics magazine, 2005-2007
- Graduate of Leadership, Inc.
Selected Speaking Engagements
Panelist, "Entering the U.S. Market: Considerations for Strategic Transactions and Collaborations," Innovation Across Borders: Strategies for Chinese Life Sciences Companies Doing Business in the U.S. (March 2019)
Moderator, "Innovation Across Borders: Strategies for U.S. and Chinese Companies in the Health Sciences Industry," Duane Morris LLP and Chinese Biopharmaceutical Association (USA) (January 2019)
- Panelist, "Thinking About a Startup? When to Form a Company and How to Begin," BioStrategy Partners' Practical Knowledge Series (May 2017)
- Panelist, "Preparing for the Exit," Alliance for Women Entrepreneurs (January 2017)
- Moderator, "Big Data: What are the Opportunities in Healthcare?", Greater Philadelphia Alliance for Capital and Technologies (November 2014)
- Speaker, "Stakeholder Agreements and Choice of Entity", Temple University Blackstone Launchpad Program (October 2014)
- Panelist, Pharmaceutical Consulting Consortium International Meeting, (February 2014)
- Frequent lecturer at The Women's Business Development Center JumpStart panel programs (2010-present)
- Panelist, "Power of Persuasion" event hosted by Entrepreneurs' Forum, (May 2008)
- Speaker, "Choice of Entity," Wharton Venture Initiation Program Presentation, (February 2008)
- Panelist, "How to Become Fundable," lunch panel discussion at New Jersey Technology Council Venture Fair, (March 2006)
Co-author, "Study Sponsors Take Heed: FDA Plans Changes to Expanded Access Program," Duane Morris Alert, Febuary 7, 2019
Co-author, "Five Good Habits of University Researchers Launching Spinouts," Duane Morris Life Sciences Blog, November 5, 2018
- Co-author, "Alert: Drug and Device Developers Should be Aware of the Expanded Access Policy Requirement Under the 21st Century Cures Act," Duane Morris Blog, December 2016
- "Celebrating Five Years Stronger: A Few Words from PACT Leaders," imPACT Times, June 2015
- Co-author, "SEC Adopts 'Regulation A+' Rules," Duane Morris Alert, April 10, 2015
- "Judicial and Congressional Back-Door Methods That Limit the Effect of Roe v. Wade: There is No Choice if There is No Access," Temple Law Review (1997)