Sean La’Brooy is concurrently a Director of Selvam LLC and Duane Morris & Selvam LLP. He has significant experience in handling commercial disputes for both individuals and corporate entities, including breach of shareholders’ agreements and employment disputes. Sean is an experienced legal advisor who has over more than 20 years in legal practice, been trusted to perform different roles by people from all walks of life.
Sean has been recognized as a recommended lawyer for Dispute Resolution by The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2021 edition. His practice spans a wide range of industries and he appears regularly in cases in the Courts.
Sean has been involved in several notable cases in the High Court. He acted for an investment company against a lifestyle and hospitality company in a High Court Suit (1116/2016) and obtained summary judgment. He also successfully represented a global executive search firm in a High Court Suit (563/2018) commenced by an ex-employee.
Sean is a member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb) and accredited as an Associate Mediator with the Singapore Mediation Centre. He was Counsel in an international arbitration (SIAC Arbitrations 43 and 44 of 2014) matter for a Singapore company in a claim against a company incorporated in India. In addition, he acted for four fund companies with claims amounting to S$34 million, in a successful application in Court to revoke the approval given at a creditors’ meeting for a voluntary arrangement: Re Aathar Ah Kong Andrew  SGHCR 4.
An established disputes lawyer, Sean was appointed by the Law Society of Singapore as Counsel in disciplinary proceedings involving an application for leave before the Chief Justice  3 SLR 1187; conduct of the matter before the Disciplinary Tribunal  SGDT 5; and hearing before the Court of 3 Judges  5 SLR 1141. He acted in disciplinary proceedings conducted by the Singapore Medical Council and Singapore Dental Council, as well as represented the Energy Market Authority of Singapore in criminal matters.
He has been invited to speak at overseas conferences and local seminars. He is also a Senior Teaching Fellow with the Singapore Institute of Legal Education (SILE).
Sean has a passion for pro bono work. He was a member of the IJ Board of Management which oversees the eleven CHIJ schools in Singapore for more than 15 years (2006-2021), and the Chairman of its Legal Advisory Sub-Committee from 2013. He started a legal clinic to help needy citizens at Moulmein Consituency in need of legal assistance, and served as a member of the Moulmein Citizens’ Consultative Committee (2010 to 2017).
His other pro bono appointments include serving as Honorary Legal Advisor to the International Real Estate Federation (FIABCI) Singapore Chapter (2010), the Honorary Legal Advisor for the Association of Aerospace Industries in Singapore (2007-2010), Chairperson of Project Law Help, which connects non-profit organisations with volunteer law practices, as appointed by the Law Society of Singapore (2006-2009). He was elected by his peers as a member of the Council of the Law Society of Singapore (Junior Category: 2003-2004) and appointed to another term (Middle Category: 2012-2013).
He was featured in the national press (The Straits Times) in 2004 as one of the Top 50 young Singaporeans to look out for in the future.
Sean is a 1999 LL.B. (Hons) degree graduate from the National University of Singapore. He is admitted to the Singapore Bar as an Advocate and Solicitor.
Selvam LLC is a Singapore Law Practice in Joint Venture with Duane Morris LLP, under Duane Morris & Selvam LLP.
To the extent that the representative matters listed above fall outside the context of "permitted areas of legal practice" within the meaning of Section 36A of the Legal Profession Act (Chap. 161), they have been conducted by the above named lawyer in his/her capacity as an Advocate & Solicitor of Selvam LLC, a Singapore law practice of the Joint Law Venture.
- National University of Singapore, LL.B. (Hons)
- Duane Morris & Selvam LLP, 2020-present
Selvam LLC, 2019-present
Oon & Bazul LLP, 2018-2019
Colin Ng & Partners LLP, 2014-2018
Wee, Tay & Lim LLP, 2011-2014
Rodyk & Davidson, 2000-2005
Associate Mediator, Singapore Mediation Centre (SMC)
Member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb)
Senior Teaching Fellow, Singapore Institute of Legal Education (SILE)
- Facilitator for the Civil Procedure Course conducted at the Postgraduate Practical Law Course (PLC) now known as Part B of the Singapore Bar Examinations from 2007 and also for the Professional Skills Module
- Advocacy Trainer for Part B Advocacy workshops in 2019
Honors and Awards
- Listed in The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2021 as a Recommended Lawyer in Dispute Resolution - Local Firms
Listed as a Recommended Lawyer in The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2017 for Dispute Resolution
Civic and Charitable Activities
Member of the IJ Board of Management (2006-2021)
Chairman, Legal Advisory Committee, IJ Board of Management (2013-2021)
Member of the Council (Middle Category) of the Law Society of Singapore (2012-2013)
Pro Bono volunteer lawyer and member of Moulmein Citizens' Consultative Committee (2011-2017)
Honorary Legal Advisor to the International Real Estate Federation (FIABCI) Singapore Chapter (2010)
Honorary Legal Advisor for the Association of Aerospace Industries (Singapore) (2007-2010)
Chairperson of Project Law Help (2006-2009)
Member of the Council (Junior Category) of the Law Society of Singapore (2003-2004)
- Co-author, "Singapore Implements Sanctions Against Russia," Duane Morris Alert, March 14, 2022
- Co-author, "Building and Construction Industry Security of Payment Act ("SOP Act"): Supplementary Rules for Electronic Adjudication Lodgment," Duane Morris Alert, April 25, 2020
- Author, "Dealing with COVID-19 in the Construction Industry – An Update," Duane Morris Alert, April 11, 2020
- Co-author, "Dealing with COVID-19 in the Construction Industry," Duane Morris Alert, April 5, 2020
- Author, "Enforcement of Foreign Judgments in Singapore," Duane Morris & Selvam LLP, January 6, 2020
Co-author, "The Singapore Convention on Mediation: Charting a New Path for Dispute Resolution," Duane Morris Alert, August 16, 2019
Contributor, International Comparative Legal Guide (ICLG) to Litigation & Dispute Resolution 2019
Selected Speaking Engagements
- Speaker, “The Legal Aspects of Investing in Southeast Asia,” Understanding Emerging Markets in Southeast Asia: Perspectives from India and Singapore Webinar Series, 16 November 2021
- Speaker, "Singapore, Opening the Door to Asia for Pacific Alliance Nations: A Legal and Regulatory Overview," Duane Morris & Selvam Webinar, 11 November 2021
- Speaker, " The Impact of COVID-19 on Dispute Resolution in Asia," Understanding Emerging Markets in Southeast Asia: Perspectives from India and Singapore Webinar Series, 31 August 2021
- Speaker, "What You Must Know About Litigation in the Asia-Pacific Region II," New York State Bar Association, Webinar, 7 July 2021
- Speaker, "Managing Boundaries in the Workplace and Preventing Harassment," Association of Corporate Counsel Webinar, 22 May 2020
- Speaker, "Recent Developments in Dispute Resolution: What you need to know," 2 October 2019
Speaker, Seminar on the Estate Agents Act, Singapore Accredited Estate Agencies (SAEA) and Singapore Institute of Surveyors & Valuers (SISV), 24 September 2010
Speaker, "Resolving disputes arising from Variation in Contracts," Successfully Avoiding and Resolving Disputes in Construction Contracts, Asia Business Forum, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 5 February 2007