Steven J. Sweeney concentrates his practice in mergers and acquisitions, technology law, corporate finance, corporate governance, bank regulatory matters and loan and credit transactions. He has extensive experience in a broad range of corporate transactions, with a focus on banking and financial institutions. He also has extensive experience representing clients in the technology and media industries, as well as healthcare, consumer products and real estate.
From 2003 to 2010, Mr. Sweeney served as Executive Vice President and General Counsel of a $2 billion bank. In that role, he supported the business on a wide range of matters. He is therefore well versed in dealing with a wide range of departments within a complex business and delivering his advice in a business friendly manner.
Prior to attending law school, Mr. Sweeney worked in the areas of accounting and economic consulting.
Mr. Sweeney is a 1996 graduate of the University of Southern California School of Law. He also earned an M.A. from the University of Chicago and a B.S. from Loyola Marymount University.
Areas of Practice
- Corporate Law
- Technology Law
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Corporate Governance
- Financial Services
- Represented world’s largest Spanish language radio group in sale of radio station to strategic buyer. Drafted and negotiated agreements for purchase and sale of assets together with assignment and licensing of all intellectual property rights.
- Advised in sale of media company including drafting and negotiating related licensing arrangements and related documents.
- Represented film production company in development of motion picture and related products. Drafting and negotiation of license relating to film and media content.
- Advised online gaming company regarding various legal matters.
- Represented global medical technology company in acquisition of medical research technology company and dealing with related technology licensing arrangements.
- University of Southern California School of Law, J.D., 1996
- University of Chicago, M.A., 1991
- Loyola Marymount University, B.S., 1986
- Co-author, "The Challenges of Contracting for Fintech Services," BankBeat, April 15, 2020
- Co-author, "Consider a Virtual Shareholder Annual Meeting During the COVID-19 Pandemic," Duane Morris Alert, March 17, 2020
- Co-author, "Financial Regulators Require Pandemic Policies in Response to COVID-19 Threats," Duane Morris Alert, March 13, 2020