Steven L. Friedman practices in the area of corporate and commercial litigation. He has handled matters involving trade secrets, antitrust, securities, trademark and patent infringement including ANDA under Hatch Waxman, RICO, class action and corporate control and takeover/proxy fights, and breach of contract as well as other areas of corporate and commercial litigation.
He has appeared before federal and state courts throughout the United States representing clients in both jury and bench trials.
After graduation from law school, Mr. Friedman served as a law clerk for Chief Justice Samuel Roberts of the Pennsylvania Supreme Court.
Mr. Friedman has extensive involvement in business and political activities in Israel. He has served and continues to serve as a legal and personal adviser to Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and has served as general counsel to the Likud Party of Israel in the United States.
A member of the American, Pennsylvania and Philadelphia bar associations, Mr. Friedman is a 1971 graduate of the University of Pennsylvania Law School and a cum laude graduate of Yale University.
- Represents OK S Software, India in multiple litigation matters in the United States and India (2014-present).
- Geoffrey Walker and Patti Walker v. Joe Hopkins and Maria Hopkins (CP, Montgomery County). Represents a local entrepreneur in a breach of fiduciary duty and breach of contract case involving multiple claims against the entrepreneur’s former real estate partner and counsel.
- Represented Academy Urology in major contract claims against Independent Blue Cross which was successfully resolved (2012).
- Represented a national real estate development company in an appeal to the Delaware Supreme Court on claims against a former business partner for breach of fiduciary duty and usurpation of corporate opportunities.
- Las Vegas Sands Corp. v. Ace Gaming, LLC, 713 F.Supp. 427 (D.N.J. 2010) – Obtained summary judgment in favor of the Las Vegas Sands in its action against ACE Gaming, LLC (a Carl Icahn-controlled entity) for breach of a trademark-licensing agreement regarding the use of the "Sands" trademark by the Atlantic City Sands and its shutdown in November 2006 and refusal to pay licensing fees.
- Represented a statewide class of Illinois pathologists against United Healthcare seeking payment of professional component fees. Secured a certified class and resolved the arbitration with payments to all class members and other prospective contractual relief. (AAA Arb 11 195 00971 06).
- State Street Bank and Trust Co. v. Signature Financial Group 149 F.3d 1368 (Fed Cir. 1998) – This is a seminal patent infringement litigation which firmly established the patentable subject matter of a computer-implemented system for managing a form of mutual fund and firmly announced the validity of business method patents.
- McClelland et al. v. Warden et al., (3rd Cir. 1999-2002) – Successfully represented part of the Berwind family against relatives who were attempting to force a buyout through a squeeze-out merger without proper valuation and disclosure and obtained decision reversing district's dismissal of the RICO and breach-of-trust claims, which led to a resolution in which the clients received substantial fair value.
- Giuffrida v. American Family Brands (E.D. Pa. - 1996-98) – Handled a claim for breach of representations and warranties in connection with a purchase of a food business and secured summary judgment for the purchasers, leading to a settlement for significant value from damages resulting from the breach.
- Clark Capital Management Group, Inc. v. Annuity Investors Life Insurance Company, et al. (E.D. Pa. - 2000-02) – Represented the plaintiff in a trademark infringement action to protect the plaintiff's "navigator" marks and after two years of discovery and on the eve of trial reached a resolution calling for significant compensation and defendant's abandonment of the infringing marks.
- Solchem Italiano, Spa v. BTG, et al. (D. N.J. 1998-2002) – Successfully challenged in a declaratory judgment action the validity of an exclusive dealing arrangement between BTG and a major Italian drug company regarding oxandrolone, a formerly patented drug for combating weight loss from AIDS. Following extensive discovery in Italy and summary judgment motions, the matter was favorably resolved, allowing Solchem to sell and deal the product without restriction.
- NutriSystem v. Nutrabolic (S.D. Ohio) - Successfully handled a trademark infringement action on behalf of NutriSystem, which led to a significant payment and defendant's abandonment of the infringing mark.
- NutriSystem v. Jenny Craig, Inc., et al. (C.D. Cal. 1987-89) – Secured a preliminary injunction in a theft of trade secret case involving wholesale pirating of key employees.
- Belmont Industries, Inc. and Raymond J. Perelman v. General Refractories Co., et al. (C.P. Montgomery) – Successfully represented Belmont and Perelman in a hostile takeover of General Refractories.
- Woodstream Proxy Litigation (E.D. Pa. 1988) – Successfully represented a group seeking increased board representation vigorously opposed by entrenched management. This led to a sale of the company at a significant benefit to the clients.
- Tom Elliott, et al. v. Jim Elliot, et al., (C.P. Montgomery 1983-1987) – represented two members of the Jumbo Elliott family in a family dispute with the third member, leading to a buyout of their interest in the company Elliott & Frantz, Inc. at fair value using a "white knight" financial institution.
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- University of Pennsylvania Law School, J.D., 1971
University of Pennsylvania Law Review
- Yale University, B.A., cum laude, 1968
Honors in History
- Duane Morris LLP
- Partner, 2005-present
- Dilworth Paxson LLP
- Partner, 1976-2005
- Associate, 1972-1976
- American Bar Association
- Antitrust Section
- Litigation Section
- Natural Resources Law Section
- American Trial Lawyers Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Environmental, Mineral and Natural Resources Law Section
- Civil Litigation Section
- Philadelphia Bar Association
- Environmental Quality Committee
- Federal Courts Committee
- Bench-Bar Committee
Honors and Awards
- Human Relations Award, American Jewish Committee/Phila. S. New Jersey Chapter, June 19, 2012
- Louis Brandeis Award, Israel Bonds, 2008
- Yitzhak Rabin Public Service Award
- The America Israel Chamber of Commerce, January 10, 2005
- American Jewish Committee, Delaware Valley Chapter
- Human Relations Award, June 1992
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Thomas Jefferson University and Jefferson Health
- Board of Presidential Advisors, 2017-present
- mClinical Technologies, Inc.
- Board of Directors, March 2017-present
- Philadelphia-Israel Chamber of Commerce
- Board of Directors, January 2015-present
- United States Israel Science and Technology Commission
- Advisory Committee (appointed by President Bush, 2003), 2003-present
- United States Israel Science and Technology Foundation
- Board Member, 2011-present
- iCrete, Los Angeles, California
- Independent Director, Chairman of the Audit Committee, 2008-2013
- Regulatory Datacorp International LLC, New York (Goldman Sachs)
- Member, Board of Directors, 2003-2007 (company sold to Bain Capital)
- Member of Audit Committee, 2005-2007
- College of Judea and Samaria
- Board of Directors, 2002-2005
- Republican Jewish Coalition
- National Board of Directors, 2008-present
- Republican Jewish Coalition, Delaware Valley Chapter
- Co-Chair, 2001-2011
- National Executive Committee Member, 2000-present
- American Jewish Committee
- National Board of Governors, 1991-2003
- National Affairs Commission, 1989-2003
- International Relations Commission, 1990-2003
- National Executive Council, 1991-2003
- Project Interchange, U.S./Israel, Washington, D.C.
- Board of Directors, 1992-2000
- National Museum of American Jewish History
- Board of Directors, 1985-1995
- Netanyahu Memorial Committee, Memorial to Lt. Col. Jonathan Netanyahu
- Co-Chairman, Dedicated October, 1986
- American Jewish Committee, Delaware Valley Chapter
- Board of Directors, 1986-present
- President and Chairman, 1993-1997
- Vice President, 1990-1992
- Secretary, 1989-1990
- Member, 1974-1979
Civic and Charitable Activities
- Likud Party of Israel
- General Counsel in United States, 1988-1999
- "To Rely or Not to Rely: That is the Question - Should Complex Business Agreements be Interpreted as a Matter of Law?" The Philadelphia Lawyer, Philadelphia Bar Association Quarterly Magazine, Vol. 62, No. 4, Winter 1999
- "Computers, Business and the Internet," New York State Bar Association, The Newsletter of the Intellectual Property Law Section, Spring/Summer 1999
Selected Speaking Engagements
- Speaker, "Business Method Patents after Alice," Tel Aviv, Israel, February 23, 2015
- Speaker, "Business Method Patents after Bilski," Tel Aviv, Israel, July 12, 2012
- Co-hosted, "Rayburn House Office Building of the US Israel Science and Technology Foundation," December 3, 2013
- Speaker, "New Standards in Business Method Patents: Lundgren and New PTO Examination Guidelines Change the Landscape," January 18, 2006
- "Selling Your Case to the Jury: How to Effectively Communicate the Technology Behind the Patent Dispute," National Advanced Forum on Litigating Patent Disputes, February 2002
- "The Federal Circuit Sets the Precedent for Business Method Patents," Practicing Law Institute - Patenting the New Business Model: Building Fences in Cyberspace, New York, February 9, 2000
- "Licensing: The Profession of the New Millennium," Licensing Executives Society (LES), 1999 Annual Meeting, October 24-27, 1999
- "E-Commerce, Intellectual Property Concerns of Doing Business Over the Internet," New York State Bar Association and New York Intellectual Property Law Associations, March 26, 1999
- "IP Strategies: Approaching the New Millennium," PricewaterhouseCoopers Intellectual Property Leadership Forum, Tucson, Arizona, February 24-27, 1999
- "State Street v. Signature: Computers, Business and the Internet," New York State Bar Association, Intellectual Property Law Section Meeting, January 27, 1999
- "What Your Client Needs To Know About Patents and Doing Business Over the Internet - The Court's View," New York State Bar Association Intellectual Property Law Section Meeting, January 1999