Thomas L. Totten primarily practices in the area of real estate development and finance, representing individuals, developers, health care institutions and other companies and entities in real property acquisition, disposition, development, leasing, financing, construction, and land use matters. In addition, he represents commercial banks and institutional lenders in the origination, modification and restructuring of loans secured by real property and other assets and in loan portfolio sales.
An urban planner for many years before beginning the practice of law, Mr. Totten was Director of Housing and Community Development of the Baltimore Regional Planning Council and Executive Director and President of the Baltimore Regional Community Development Corporation, a not-for-profit organization that provided small loans to promote to the development of low and moderate income housing projects. Mr. Totten is an active member of the Baltimore Development Workgroup, an advocacy organization comprised of those involved in the commercial real estate development industry in Baltimore City, Maryland. He previously was a director of the Patterson Park Community Development Corporation, a not-for-profit organization involved in the redevelopment of the Patterson Park community in Baltimore City, Maryland. He has also provided legal assistance on a pro-bono basis to Bolton Hill Nursery School, Inc. and the Baltimore Living Classrooms Foundation. He is currently providing pro-bono real estate and business services to The Central Baltimore Partnership.
Mr. Totten is listed in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business as a leader in Maryland real estate and has been designated as a Maryland Super Lawyer for real estate.
Mr. Totten is a 1987 graduate of the University of Baltimore School of Law and a graduate of the University of Maryland (M.A., Urban Planning) and The Johns Hopkins University (B.A.).
Represented a regional full-service health care provider in central Colorado in the negotiation of a loan, the proceeds of which are to be used for tenant fit-out and furniture, fixtures and equipment for a 31,329 square foot surgery center in a building being developed by a joint venture.
- Represented a regional full-service health care provider in central Colorado in the negotiation and structuring of a new medical office building complex. Included the negotiation of joint venture agreement with a national medical facility real estate company, negotiation of facility leases for use by client for medical purposes, and negation of rights of first offer and refusal and purchase options.
Represented non-profit community based health care system and its subsidiaries and affiliates in the acquisition of a hotel and conference center adjacent to one of its hospital centers.
Represented a private, family controlled developer and investor and its affiliates in the the negotiation and closing of a multi-million dollar loan used to refinance an existing construction loan, secured by a hotel property. Restructured all of the ownership entities as special purpose bankruptcy remote entities, modified the franchise agreement and related documents, and coordinated all required loan and bankruptcy related opinions.
Represented a private, family controlled developer and investor and its affiliates in the negotiation and closing of a multi-million dollar construction loan with a regional bank used to construct a new hotel. Included coordinating the revision to a ground lease and the preparation of architect and construction agreements.
Represented a regional full-service health care provider in central Colorado in the lease of a new medical office building.
- Represented a regional healthcare system in the sale and leasing of an outpatient dialysis business operating in acute-care hospitals in Baltimore, Maryland to a national dialysis treatment provider.
- Represented a regional healthcare system in the sale to a regional owner/operator of a Maryland skilled nursing facility with more than 140 beds, including the sale of regulatory bed rights, as well as entry into a 99-year ground lease.
- Represented a regional healthcare system in the acquisition of a 100-physician practice, including the acquisition and leasing of four medical office buildings in St. Mary’s County, Maryland.
- Represented a regional health care system in the acquisition of an acute care hospital and four related medical office buildings in the greater Washington, D.C. area, including assistance with subdivision matters and in obtaining the right to acquire real property adjacent to the hospital.
- Represented a national-known health care system in the acquisition of a regional acute care hospital and related medical office buildings in the greater Baltimore, Maryland area.
- Represented a regional health care system in multiple medical office buildings and clinic leases with physician and ambulatory surgery center tenants in rural Colorado.
- Represented a regional health system in the outsourcing of its real estate functions, including facilities management, project management, leasing and portfolio management, and strategic planning functions, to an international real estate services advisory and consulting firm at all of its Maryland and Virginia locations.
- Represented a regional health care system in a reciprocal land swap with a governmental entity to enable development of a new governmental services building and expansion of the acute-care hospital.
Areas of Practice
- Real Estate Development and Finance
- University of Baltimore School of Law, J.D., 1987
- University of Maryland, M.A., 1977
- The Johns Hopkins University, B.A., 1973
Honors and Awards
Listed in The Best Lawyers in America, 2020-2021
Listed in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, 2007, 2010-2013 and 2017-2021
- AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®