Yuanyou (Sunny) Yang is an attorney in Duane Morris' Pittsburgh office and is admitted to practice in the United States (Pennsylvania and New York) and the People's Republic of China. As a Chinese lawyer in the U.S., Ms. Yang's practice includes negotiating and structuring business transactions and overseeing the legal operations for Chinese companies doing business in the United States, as well as assisting U.S. companies in pursuing investment opportunities in China. Ms. Yang acts as outside general counsel for many Chinese companies doing business in the United States, handling all aspects of their legal needs in connection with their operations in the United States, including, but not limited to, market entry, corporate compliance, import-export, employment, immigration and litigation in the United States. She also advises U.S. companies doing business in China on market entry, corporate governance, intellectual property protection, regulatory compliance and Asia-Pacific strategic planning. She also has experience counseling corporate managers, executives, and high network individuals with pre-immigration and expatriation planning, planning for the purchase of U.S. property by non-U.S. persons, asset transfers, preserving and transferring wealth, protecting assets, providing for children, elderly and other family members, and business succession planning.
Ms. Yang is a native Mandarin Chinese speaker. She also reads and writes simplified and traditional Chinese.
Prior to entering private practice, Ms. Yang served as Wolcott law clerk to the Hon. Jack B. Jacobs of the Supreme Court of Delaware.
Ms. Yang earned a J.D., magna cum laude, from Widener University School of Law, where she was a member of the Delaware Journal of Corporate Law and was also certified in Business Law by the Widener University School of Law. Ms. Yang also earned an LL.M., with honors, in Corporate Law and Finance from Widener University School of Law; an LL.B., summa cum laude, and an LL.M., summa cum laude, in International Business Law from Southwest University of Political Science and Law in Chongqing, China; and a B.A. from Sichuan International Studies University in Chongqing, China.
In addition to the People's Republic of China, Pennsylvania and New York, Ms. Yang practices in U.S. federal courts (U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania, and U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit).
Ms. Yang is currently the Chair for the Diversity and Inclusion Committee of the Allegheny County Bar Association ("ACBA") and the Executive Council for the Women in the Law Division for the ACBA. She is also the Immediate Past Chair for the Asian Attorneys Committee of the ACBA.
Ms. Yang is also currently a board member for the Asian Pacific American Bar Association of Pennsylvania ("APABA-PA"). She is also the Third Vice President and Secretary for the Federal Bar Association, Western Pennsylvania Chapter.
Ms. Yang is the 2018 Pro Bono Achievement Award Recipient from the ACBA and Allegheny County Bar Foundation.
Areas of Practice
- Commercial Litigation
- International Practice Group
- China Practice Group
Corporate Governance and Regulatory Compliance
International Trade and Investment
Asia-Pacific Strategic Planning and Development
- Representing a Chinese home and garden company in a breach of contract case against a U.S. company, as well as defending the breach of contract, Lanham Act claim, unfair competition and tortious interference with contract counterclaims asserted by the U.S. company.
- Defending a U.S. coal company in a breach of contract claim involving unlawful mining.
- Obtained settlement that the client, a major insurance company, found favorable in an insurance coverage suit involving claimed damages in the aggregate of over $1.6 billion. The representation included conducting investigations in China, preparing witnesses in China and Hong Kong, taking/defending depositions in Hong Kong and advising client on Chinese business and maritime law.
- Obtained settlement that the client, a major Chinese automobile accessories company, found favorable in a breach of contract, fraud and unfair competition case involving claimed damages in the aggregate of $5.6 million.
- Obtained settlement in a breach of contract, fraud and wire fraud case on behalf of a major Chinese car dealer and recovered full damages on behalf of the client. The representation included securing FBI investigation on behalf of the client.
- Obtained settlement that the client, a major Chinese technology company, found favorable in a breach of Know-How Transfer Agreement, fraud and negligent misrepresentation case.
- Obtained settlement that the client, a Chinese restaurant chain owner, found favorable in a breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duties and identity fraud case.
- Successfully enforced a foreign judgment against a US debtor and obtained full recovery, including attorneys’ fees, on behalf of the client. The action involved investigation of a potential multi-dollar investment from a Chinese company to the debtor.
- Successfully dismissed a lawsuit against a major financial institution related to improper hold of funds.
- Defended a major financial institution in a breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, fraudulent inducement and wiretapping violation case and successfully dismissed the wiretapping claim.
- Represented a private equity and venture capital firm in a breach of contract and tortious interference action.
- Defended a major energy company in a breach of contract case filed by one of its suppliers.
- Represented a software development company in a breach of contract action.
- Represented a major U.S. banking institution in a securities fraud investigation conducted by the SEC and the Public Company Accounting Oversight Board.
- Represented a major Pennsylvania educational institution in an investigation conducted by the federal government regarding improper management of grants under the Small Business Innovation Research program and the Small Business Technology Transfer program, and drafted related compliance policies.
- Represented a pharmaceutical company in a FCPA investigation conducted by the SEC and DOJ regarding its business operation in China.
- Represented a food manufacturing company in a FCPA investigation conducted by the SEC and DOJ regarding its business operation in China.
- Represented a U.S. company in connection with an internal investigation of potential FCPA violations in connection with the client’s acquisition of a Chinese subsidiary.
- Advised a U.S. company regarding FCPA and the UK Bribery Act compliance in connection with a multimillion-dollar contract with an Arabic company.
- Obtained settlement that the client found favorable in two national class and collective actions involving misclassification of employees under the Fair Labor Standard Act and various state laws.
- Represented a client in a collective action case involving age discrimination leading to a judgment in favor of the client.
- Represented a client in a single plaintiff action involving age discrimination and disability discrimination.
- Represented a client in arbitration in a single plaintiff action involving age discrimination.
- Representing a major U.S. cosmetic company related to a product recall in China.
- Advising a Chinese publicly traded company regarding various employment agreements, work policies, wage and hour law, employee benefits and immigration issues.
- Advised a major U.S. energy company on Fair Credit Reporting Act, Truth in Lending Act, Consumer Leasing Act and other consumer protection compliance and drafted opinion letters.
- Advised a Chinese energy company’s U.S. subsidiary regarding potential misclassification of employee status and immigration issues.
- Advised a Pennsylvania education institution regarding wage and hour law compliance issues.
- Representing a major Taiwanese company related to its acquisition of a U.S. company. Such representation involves complicated bankruptcy procedures, setting up joint ventures with several U.S. companies and review of Foreign Trade Commission.
- Representing a major U.S. medical company related to its collaboration agreement and technology license with a major Chinese insurance company and medical facilities.
- Representing a major U.S. financial institution in connection with its acquisition of another company who conducts substantial business in China.
- Representing a major U.S. medical company related to market entry in China and intellectual property protection in China.
- Representing a U.S. company in negotiating certain investment agreements and supplier agreements with a Chinese manufacturer.
- Representing a Chinese company in setting up a Representative Office in Vietnam.
- Represented a major Chinese steel manufacturer related to its acquisition of a division of a U.S. company.
- Represented a major Chinese mineral production company related to its acquisition of a spinoff of a U.S. company and related environmental compliance issues.
- Represented a Chinese automobile accessories company in setting up a U.S. joint venture with a U.S. company.
- Represented a U.S. company in entering into a collaboration agreement and joint venture agreement with a Chinese company for certain energy business.
- Advised a U.S. client on Chinese business law related to its potential acquisition of a Chinese company and conducted due diligence of the Chinese company under Chinese law.
- Represented a U.S. client and negotiated certain investment agreements, subscription agreements and lending agreements with Chinese companies under Chinese law.
- Represented a U.S. client in connection with its withdrawal of capital investment in a Chinese company and drafted related agreements and notes under both U.S. and Chinese law.
- Advised a dual citizenship client in connection with their purchase of a multimillion property in Taiwan and related tax issues.
- Advised a U.S. company related to certain trade and custom regulations related to the export of certain products.
- Represented a major Taiwanese manufacturer of vibration sensor and tilt sensor switches in claims involving infringement of existing patent and inducement of infringement.
- Obtained an injunction prohibiting a former employee from working for a competitor based on non-compete and confidentiality agreement.
- Assisted a U.S. company in a trademark infringement investigation against a Chinese company in China.
- Representing a Chinese high net worth individual with the Offshore Voluntary Disclosure Program in front of the Internal Revenue Services.
- Representing a non-profit dance organization in obtaining a P1 visa for an Indian dancer.
- Representing a non-profit musical organization in obtaining an O1 visa for a world famous violinist.
- Represented Chinese and Taiwanese high net worth individuals with pre-immigration planning and advised them on related tax and immigration issues.
- Represented a Chinese individual in an asset forfeiture proceeding in front of the U.S. Customs and Border Protection and successfully obtained a full refund.
- Obtained L1 visas for a manager and key employees of a leading company in the lawn mower industry.
- Obtained L1 visas for managers of a leading company in the electronic industry.
- Obtained an O1 visa for a world famous violinist for a non-profit musical organization.
Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and White-Collar
Intellectual Property Litigation
- New York
- People's Republic of China
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- Widener University School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude
- Editor, Delaware Journal of Corporate Law
- Widener University School of Law, LL.M., Corporate Law and Finance, with honors
- Graduate Assistant, Delaware Journal of Corporate Law
- Southwest University of Political Science and Law, Chongqing, China, LL.M., International Business Law, summa cum laude
- Southwest University of Political Science and Law, Chongqing, China, LL.B., summa cum laude
- Sichuan International Studies University, B.A.
- Duane Morris LLP
- Associate, 2014-present
- Obermayer, Rebmann, Maxwell & Hippell LLP
- Associate, 2011-2014
- Supreme Court of Delaware
- Law Clerk to the Hon. Jack B. Jacobs, 2010-2011
- Natalie Holding LLC
- Corporate Counsel, 2009
Chair, Policy Committee for the Asian Pacific American Bar Association of Pennsylvania
Board, Asian Pacific American Bar Association of Pennsylvania
Co-Chair, Diversity and Inclusion Committee of the Allegheny County Bar Association
Immediate Past Chair, Asian Bar Committee of the Allegheny County Bar Association
Executive Council, Women in the Law Division of the Allegheny County Bar Association
Third Vice President and Secretary, Federal Bar Association- Western Pennsylvania Chapter
- Asian Pacific American Bar Association — Pennsylvania
- Pittsburgh Chinese Lawyers Association
- Asian Attorneys Committee of the Allegheny County Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Allegheny County Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association Western Pennsylvania Chapter
- Women's Bar Association
Honors and Awards
Allegheny County Bar Association and Allegheny County Bar Foundation Pro Bono Achievement Award
- Lucinda Peipher Memorial Award
- Philadelphia Bar Association Young Lawyer Division Diversity Scholarship Award- Nominee
Co-author, "United States," International Civil Procedure, Chapter 14, November 2017
- Co-author, "United States Supreme Court Addresses Due Process Limits on the Exercise of Personal Jurisdiction Over Corporate Defendants," Duane Morris Alert, June 21, 2017
- Co-author, "Can Foreign Banks Be Forced To Freeze Accounts?," Law360, February 5, 2016
- Co-author, "The State of General Personal Jurisdiction After 'Daimler'," The Legal Intelligencer, January 26, 2016
Selected Speaking Engagements
Presenter, "International Law Firm Management," Chengdu Jinjiang Bar Association Annual Meeting, Chengdu, China, December 2017
Presenter, "Recent Supreme Court Rulings Define Where Companies May Be Sued," Generic Pharmaceuticals & Biosimilars Summit, Princeton, NJ, October 2017
Moderator, "Whose Country is This? Hate Speech, Harassment and Violence Post-Election," Pittsburgh, PA, April 2017
Presenter, "Dispute Resolution Related to Chinese Companies' Investment in the United States," International Investment Forum, Chongqing, China, November 2017