The Duane Morris Cannabis Webinar Series
January 29, 2018 | Cannabis 101: Update on the Federal Enforcement & State Regulatory Environment | Webinar
February 27, 2018 | Cannabis 102: Intellectual Property, Trademark and Branding, and Marketing | Webinar
March 20, 2018 | Cannabis 103: Real Estate - Practical Considerations for Owners, Operators and Investors in Cannabis Real Property | Webinar
April 17, 2018 | Cannabis 104: Marijuana in the Workplace - What Employers Need to Know | Webinar
May 15, 2018 | Cannabis 105: Investing in Cannabis | Webinar
June 19, 2018 | Cannabis 106: Banking and Financing in the Cannabis Industry | Webinar
July 24, 2018 | Cannabis 107: The U.S. and Canadian Cannabis Markets: 2018 Mid-Year Review | Webinar
October 2, 2018 | Cannabis 108: Hot Topics for Healthcare Facilities and the Utilization of Medical Cannabis | Webinar
November 29, 2018 | Cannabis 109: Legal Cannabis and Insurance | Webinar
The Duane Morris Cannabis Industry Group hosted a series of webinars that reviewed issues and developments affecting the cannabis industry. Each session featured a specific topic, discussed the legal and business implications and provided insight on key matters.
Thursday, November 29, 2018 | Cannabis 109: Legal Cannabis and Insurance
Cannabis-related insurance claims raise questions concerning the applicability of policy terms to issues that are unique to cannabis, and whether policies covering cannabis are/should be subject to exclusions or enforceability questions. The expansion of the cannabis industry—which includes large indoor agriculture facilities with expensive equipment, high-tech processing laboratories and retail dispensaries, as well as a broad range of ancillary companies, service providers and vendors— presents an enticing new market to insurers. This webinar will help insurers understand the legal issues arising out of cannabis-related claims and underwriting cannabis-related policies.
Tuesday, October 2, 2018 | Cannabis 108: Hot Topics for Healthcare Facilities and the Utilization of Medical Cannabis
This webinar will discuss medical cannabis-related issues pertinent to long-term care facilities, hospitals, and clinical research programs, including:
- Implications of medical cannabis use for healthcare facilities, providers and patients
- Development and maintenance of policies and operations guidelines
- Considerations for the administration and possession of medical cannabis products
- How to balance patient rights with federal and state law compliance, as well as business objectives
- Regulations, FDA guidance, and other considerations for clinical research studies
Tuesday, July 24, 2018 | Cannabis 107: The U.S. and Canadian Cannabis Markets: 2018 Mid-Year Review
2018 has been an exciting year for the cannabis markets in the United States and Canada, with regulatory changes and rising cross-border transactions between the two countries. This webinar will provide a mid-year review of the current regulatory landscapes for both countries. Our panelists will also discuss various aspects of the growing number of U.S./Canada cross-border transactions as industry participants are increasingly looking to participate in the burgeoning cannabis markets in each country.
Sandra Gogal, Head of the Cannabis Industry Group, Miller Thomson LLP, will also be a presenter.
Tuesday, June 19, 2018 | Cannabis 106: Banking and Financing in the Cannabis Industry
Even in states where cannabis is legal under state law, financial institutions remain wary of opening accounts for marijuana-related businesses due to the Controlled Substances Act and the controls under the Bank Secrecy Act and related laws. Join this webinar as we discuss the extent of the challenge, efforts at the federal and state levels to offer legislation that affords these businesses access to a banking system, alternatives to help banks allow access while complying with the Bank Secrecy Act and the recent explosion in capital formation in cannabis businesses.
Tuesday, May 15, 2018 | Cannabis 105: Investing in Cannabis
The growing cannabis industry has investors seeing investment opportunities, even with challenges and risks. Join this webinar as we discuss legal implications and factors to consider before making an investment, including:
- Impact of federal and state regulations on investor profile
- Public versus private investment in the industry
- Investing in cultivators/processors/dispensaries or in ancillary businesses
- Deal risks and challenges
Tuesday, April 17, 2018 | Cannabis 104: Marijuana in the Workplace – What Employers Need to Know
In this session, we will review various challenges employers face in connection with employees’ lawful medical or recreational marijuana use. We will analyze the impact state legalization of marijuana use has on employers’ ability to maintain a drug-free workplace, including:
- The impact on employers’ ability to reject applicants and discipline employees based on a positive drug test
- The tension between federal law prohibiting marijuana use and state laws legalizing such use
- Employee challenges to employer-adverse actions based on lawful, off-duty use theory and claims under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- Best practices for disciplining employees for workplace policy infractions in light of state law protections
- Various state-law approaches to enabling employers to maintain a drug-free workplace and policy language considerations
Tuesday, March 20, 2018 | Cannabis 103: Real Estate-Practical Considerations for Owners, Operators and Investors in Cannabis Real Property
The expanding cannabis industry finds itself at a number of crossroads, with both legal and business implications. While most owners, operators and investors understand that there are risks, this session will review practical solutions to help players navigate these risks.
- Compliance with Laws – Interplay Between State and Federal Law
- Methods to Minimize Risk of Civil Forfeiture
- Leasing Language: Tenant vs. Landlord Perspectives
- Land Use Restrictions and Water Use Regulations
- Title Insurance Coverage and Requirements
- Loan Document Covenants
Tuesday, February 27, 2018 | Cannabis 102: Intellectual Property, Trademark and Branding, and Marketing | 12:30 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. (Eastern Time)
Join us for the second session in this yearlong series of webinars covering topics impacting the cannabis industry.
- Trademarks and Branding Cannabis Products
- Patenting Cannabis and Cannabis Products
- Trade Secrets: Advantages and Challenges
- A Company's Perspective with Guest Speaker: Gary Traynor, VP of Operations and Sales, LeafGoods, LLC
Monday, January 29, 2018 | Cannabis 101: Update on the Federal Enforcement & State Regulatory Environment | 12:30 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. (Eastern time)
Join us for the kickoff session in this yearlong series of webinars covering topics impacting the cannabis industry.
- Attorney General Jeff Sessions’ Memo Rescinding the Cole Memo—What Has Changed?
- How Federal Enforcement Works from the Perspective of a Former Federal Prosecutor
- Federal Legislative Update—Congressional Attempts to Protect the Cannabis Industry
- State Regulatory Actions and How Courts Are Interpreting Cannabis Regulations
About the Duane Morris Cannabis Practice
Duane Morris attorneys in offices throughout the U.S. and internationally have extensive experience with the wide array of issues attendant to legal cannabis business activities, including licensing for cultivation, processing and dispensing; litigation; banking and finance; raising and deploying capital; protecting intellectual property; real estate development and leasing; public company representation and SEC filings; land use and zoning; healthcare and research; taxation; and cross-border transactions. In addition to advising participants in the medical and adult-use marijuana industries, Duane Morris attorneys are able to assist clients in other sectors whose businesses intersect with the expanding legal cannabis sector.