Alexander M. Geisler is co-head of the firm's London office. Alex is also a Team Lead for our Transportation & Automotive Industry group. He practices in the areas of commercial litigation and dispute resolution, with an emphasis on engineering and product liability. He is well-known in the auto industry as a manufacturer’s lawyer. He defends auto makers and suppliers in litigation all over the world, both as a trial lawyer and a defence coordinator. His workplace is largely field-based, at manufacturing plants, accident locations and courtrooms. His responsibilities on behalf of clients include the selection and quality monitoring of external law firms on a worldwide basis. As well as investigating catastrophes, Mr Geisler helps prevent them. He is retained by manufacturers for future-proofing projects, such as process reviews and silo-busting exercises, as well as for support with recalls and the management of critical concerns.
Mr Geisler has developed bespoke training programs for the law departments of corporate clients. Mr. Geisler is CPD accredited course provider, as well as an accredited trainer and author on topics including legal process optimization, Knowledge Management, negotiation, process mapping and scenario planning. He is the resident legal columnist for Automotive Testing & Technology International.
Mr. Geisler is a 1981 graduate of the City of London University.
- Counsel to motor vehicle, bicycle and other manufacturers in catastrophic accident cases.
- Advising international manufacturers on all aspects of calamity management situations, including recalls and subsequent litigation.
- Designing bespoke strategies first-mover litigation plans and containment schemes.
- Advising on harnessing 'Big Data' into actionable decisions and coordinating integrity-based investigations.
- Creating and advising on containment strategies and PR coordination.
- 'Rest of World' strategic oversight counsel to UK based auto makers.
- Counsel to GM's Customer Assistance Centre in England in the establishment of a "Surgery" system to review and redesign various processes including models for Case Management, Training and Allocation of awards and expenses in Product Quality Litigation.
- Advising on all aspects of legal privilege and confidentiality as it applies in cross border litigation scenarios, developing and deploying future-litigation measurers such as document control systems and discovery-constraint measures. Advising on trial venue issues as applicable in the EU and other territories, forum conveniens issues and the like.
- Undertaking in situ strategic oversight roles in numerous complex product liability and other disputes, with emphasis on foreign catastrophe scenarios in various territories.
- Dealing with individual and potential class actions arising at the suit of individuals, their insurers, and other affected third parties.
- Obtained on behalf of Jaguar Cars Exports Ltd. a judgment from the High Court of Justice, Commercial Court dismissing a claim brought by a member of the Qatari royal family arising from the termination of a franchise agreement.
- Counsel to a California-based oil refinery in 2001 regarding a re-selling contract involving a major dispute arising out of a contract for a substantial consignment of Iraqi crude oil.
- London Defence Counsel to American-parented bank in International Trade disputes.
- Counsel to General Motors in the joint design and launch of its European Brand Protection program in 2001. Counsel to brand owners, including a number in the auto industry. This project included coordinating with the parties involved in investigation procedures culminating in face to face dealings with infringers from Germany, Spain, France, Greece, Italy, North and South America, resulting in the collection of substantial settlement sums.
- Counsel to numerous automotive clients severely affected by hostage situations, the first of which concerned the insolvent supplier, Transtec. Successful strategies deployed by which the exposure of the firm's clients was minimized and supply was maintained.
- Counsel to GM in hostage situations created by the insolvency of suppliers including European Commercial Pressings and UPF Thomson. In the former case the supply was maintained through negotiation without payment of any premium. In the latter case GM managed to avoid goodwill payments but maintain supply.
- Lead counsel in the European investigation into the collapse under suspicious circumstances of one of the biggest Belgian technology companies.
- Counsel to a number of major corporations dealing with dilapidations claims, construction issues, and other real estate disputes.
- Counsel to GM in a dispute over access rights to waterways.
- Counsel to Baylis (Gloucester) Limited in a successful reported decision concerning highway land.
Trademark and Branding
Real Estate Disputes
- England and Wales
- City of London University, LL.B. (Hons), 1981
- Duane Morris
- Partner, 2000-present
- Geisler & Laws, London, England
- Partner, 1996-2000
- Rakisons, London, England
- Partner, 1989-1996
- Reynolds Johnson & Green, London, England
- Partner, 1987-1989
- Assistant Solicitor, 1984-1987
- Brook Martin & Co., London, England
- Articles of Clerkship, 1982-1984
- CPD Accredited course provider approved by the Law Society and the Bar Standards Council of England
- Accredited trainer and author
- The Law Society of England and Wales
Author, "What Does It Take to Succeed With Clients? Here's a Theory," Law.com, November 13, 2018
Author, "A Diary Page From a GC in 2020," Corporate Counsel, September 2018
Quoted, "Changing Minds and Tech Platforms: What Makes a Lean Lawyer," Legaltech News, May 2018
Quoted, "Law.com Announces Lean Adviser Legal," ALM, May 2018
- Resident legal columnist for Automotive Testing & Technology International, "Ask Alex" and "Last Word"
- Author, "Settlement - Deal or No Deal," Motor Law, April 2007
Selected Speaking Engagements
- Moderator, "Legal Challenges and Determining Liability", the Future of Transportation World Conference 2017, July 6, 2017
- Panelist, "Determining Liability - Issues for Courts, Regulators and Law Enforcement," The Future of Transportation World Conference 2017, Germany, July 5, 2017
- "A Process to be Proud Of," Interactive Workshop to General Motors (GM) Managers on Product Liability Issues, September, 2013
- "Strategic Issues for Product Recall," presentation to the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders Legal Committee, London, England, 10 June 2010
- Presenter, "Handling Consumer Litigation," Motor Law Conference 2007, London, 21 February, 2007
- "The Trouble With Suppliers," presentation to the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders, London, England, 4 December, 2003
- "The Brand Manager's Biggest Headaches - A Radically Different Perception," presentation at the European Anti Counterfeiting Group Conference, 18 October, 2002