Alvin D. Lodish, P.A. focuses his practice on a wide range of complex commercial litigation with an emphasis on representing developers and corporate clients in real estate, construction and property disputes. He also handles corporate governance disputes relating to shareholders, partners and joint ventures. Mr. Lodish represents clients in the development of construction and real estate contract documents, claims prevention, and construction claims. He has handled many types of complex commercial cases through trial, arbitration, mediation and appeal before both state and federal trial and appellate courts.
Areas of Practice
- Commercial Litigation
- Real Estate Law
- Construction Law
- Class Action Litigation
- Glasswall, LLC v. Monadnock Construction, Inc., et al., Case Nos. 3D15-1652, 3D15-1124, Court of Appeal of Florida, Third District (Opinion Filed January 27, 2016).
- Represented the Fontainebleau Hotel and resolved over 65 complex contractor lien lawsuits totaling $80 million to help restructure $850 million of debt to avoid bankruptcy.
- Obtained a $5 million arbitration award for Lennar Corporation subsidiary Strategic Technologies Inc. for breach of a purchase and sale agreement by Shaw Communications Inc., a Canadian Company.
- Represented the owner of the property which housed the US Army Southern Command Headquarters in a unique $30 million leasehold condemnation action brought by the US government.
- Represented the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association in the federal multi-district class action litigation brought by managed care providers.
- Represented a Bahamian Company in a breach of contract action against the Government of Honduras and prevailed on the government's challenge to jurisdiction under the Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act prior to settlement.
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- Antioch School of Law, J.D., 1977
- University of Pittsburgh, M.P.A., 1974
- University of Pittsburgh, B.A., 1973
- Duane Morris LLP
- Partner, 2014-present
- Daniels Kashtan, P.A.
- Partner, 2009-2014
- Bilzin Sumberg
- Partner, 1997-2009
- Dunn, Lodish & Widom
- Partner, 1987-1997
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America. Membership in the Litigation Counsel of America is by invitation only and is limited to less than one-half of one percent of North American lawyers, judges and scholars.
- American Bar Association
- Section of International Law
- Section of Litigation
- The Florida Bar
- International Law Section
- Litigation Section
- Dade County Bar Association
- Put Something Back (Pro Bono Service)
- United States Court of Federal Claims Bar Association
Honors and Awards
Listed in U.S. News/Best Lawyers "The Best Lawyers in America," Commercial Litigation, Litigation – Real Estate, 2012-2019
Florida Super Lawyers, 2006-2015, 2017-2018
- Awarded "Most Effective Lawyer," Construction/ Real Estate, Daily Business Review, 2005 and 2009
- Annually recognized in "South Florida's Top Lawyers" by South Florida Legal Guide
- Annually recognized as a "Legal Elite, Commercial Litigation" by Florida Trend Magazine
- Recipient, Put Something Back Pro Bono Service Award, Dade County Bar Association, 2008
- AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®
Civic and Charitable Activities
- YMCA of South Florida
- Board Member and Member of the Executive Committee
- ALS Recovery Fund
- Board Member
Author, "How Well Do You Need to 'Know Your Customer?" Bank Systems and Technology Online Publication, December 2003
Selected Speaking Engagements
- Lecturer, "Florida Statute 558 — Construction Defects Claims" and "Florida Construction Lien Law;" presented to all senior executives and project managers, Related Group of Florida, April 2014
- Lecturer, "Diversity Recruitment at Law Firms," Judicial Intern Opportunities Program hosted by the American Bar Association's Section of Litigation, June 2007
- Presenter, "What If You're Sued for Mold/Water Intrusion," Solving Water Intrusion and Mold Problems in Florida, Lorman Education Services, 2004
- Congressional Testimony, The House Government Information Justice and Agricultural Subcommittee of the Committee on Government Operations, "Extradition Between the United States and Other Countries," March 1992