Amauri G. Costa's transactional practice focuses on domestic and international mergers and acquisitions, project development and finance. Amauri has strong experience representing companies doing business in Latin America, particularly in Brazil, and Latin American companies doing business in the United States. He advises clients in the energy, telecommunications, information technology and financial industries and assists extensively with the interpretation of legal and regulatory environments in Latin America. In his corporate and finance work, Amauri represents both lenders and borrowers in multi-jurisdictional transactions involving security interests throughout Europe, Asia and Latin America. Additionally, he represents several U.S.-based and international banks in trade finance transactions supported by private insurers and the U.S. Export-Import Bank and advises on financial transactions involving other credit agencies or multilateral lending institutions.
Amauri earned his LL.M. from Queen Mary and Westfield College in London in 1995, his graduate specialization in Brazilian corporate and commercial law from University Mackenzie in Brazil in 1991 and his law degree from the Law School of the University of São Paulo in 1990.
Amauri is a Brazilian national (admitted in Brazil as well as in D.C.) with native Portuguese skills; he is also fluent in Spanish and English.
Areas of Practice
- Corporate Law
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Project Development
- Regulatory Law
- International Law
- District of Columbia
- University of London, Queen Mary and Westfield College, LL.M., 1995
- Universidade Mackenzie, Graduate Specialization in Corporate and Commercial Law, 1991
- Law School of the University of São Paulo, LL.B., 1990
- Duane Morris LLP
- Partner, 2015-present
Bracewell & Giuliani LLP
- Partner, 2006-2015
- Associate, 1998-2005
- Pinheiro Neto, Advogados
- Associate, 1996-1998, 1988-1994
- Simmons & Simmons/Grupo Legal Portugues
- Foreign Associate, 1995-1996
The Brazil United States Legal & Judicial Studies Program
- Advising Council, 2013-present
- International Bar Association
- Inter-American Bar Association, Washington, D.C.
- Assistant Secretary, 1999-2003
- Member, 1998-2004
- Brazilian Association of Telecommunications and Information Technology Law
- Chairman, Telecommunications Committee, 1997-1998
- Member, 1992-1998
Honors and Awards
Named a "Highly-regarded Lawyer - Project Development, Banking, Project Finance, Mergers and Acquisition," International Financial Law Review, 2018
Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC, IFLRI1000 Energy & Infrastructure Guide, Latin America, Leading Lawyer, 2013-2015
- Latinvex, Named among 100 Top Lawyers in Latin America, 2014-2015
- Representation of multiple banks and other financial institutions in trade finance transactions supported by the U.S. Export-Import Bank, other export credit agencies and private insurers.
- Representation of foreign bank in the restructuring of its U.S. operations and transfer of assets between affiliates or branches.
- Representation of U.S. agency in multiple project finance transactions for small-and-medium sized enterprises in Latin America, Eastern Europe, and Asia.
- Representation of Canadian bank in drafting and negotiating several loans to Peruvian affiliate of large state-owned oil company.
- Representation of U.S.-based bank in structured finance transaction involving the acquisition of helicopters, supported by Hermes, and secured by payments by Colombian national oil company.
- Representation of U.S.-based investment fund in proposed cross-border financing for acquisition of diesel-fired power plants in Brazil.
- Representation of U.S.-based bank in structured finance transactions for the acquisition of multiple large aircraft by Mexican airline, supported by the U.S. Ex-Im Bank and private insurance.
- Representation of three affiliates of a Brazilian power company in negotiation of loans from the Inter-American Development Bank to fund expansion of power distribution network in Brazil.
- Represented Borrachas Vipal S.A., a Brazilian manufacturer of rubber and other tire materials, in the U.S. corporate and tax aspects of its multi-million-dollar acquisition of a controlling stake in Marangoni Tread North America, Inc., a manufacturer of tire retreading solutions for commercial trucking fleets, to form a leading global independent player in the retreading sector, as part of Vipal’s global relationship with Marangoni S.p.A.
- Representation of French construction group in acquisitions of stock and assets of companies in the United States, ranging from small family-owned businesses to multi-state corporations.
- Representation of various telecommunication service providers doing business in Brazil on issues related to licensing, interconnection arrangements and privacy rules on consolidation of data originating from Brazil.
- Representation of US-based manufacturer of goods on issues related to Brazilian regulations of transfer of data from Brazilian subsidiary to be consolidated with company's other subsidiaries.
- Representation of private equity fund in (i) managing local counsel in multiple lawsuits resulting from investment in Brazilian company, (ii) arbitration proceeding under ICC Rules of Arbitration resulting from sale of assets, (iii) sale of portfolio company in Brazil and (iv) divestiture of the fund's other assets. Representation included helping develop and implement strategy to handle litigation in Brazil and in New York, participating in settlement negotiations and drafting and negotiating purchase and sale documents.
- Representation of German oil field equipment manufacturer in acquisition of stock of Brazilian distributor of its products.
- Representation of investment fund in acquisition and development of renewable energy projects in Brazil and other countries in South America, including wind generation, small-hydroelectric power plants and biomass facilities.
- Representation of large solar energy developer in acquisition and development of solar energy generation projects located in multiple states in the U.S.
- Representation of U.S.- based power company in corporate dispute with local partner in Brazil, including extensive involvement in multiple lawsuits, arbitration proceedings and settlement negotiations.
- Representation of telecommunications services provider in survey of competition laws and their application to dominant carriers around the world and presentation to Brazilian antitrust agency in support of successful application for protective measure.
- "New Trends in Commercial Lending in Latin America," Financier Worldwide Magazine Supplement Opportunities in Emerging Markets, March 2007
- "Operacões Internacionais de Crédito (International Finance Transactions)", International Business Communications' Legal Newsletter, November 2006
"Telecommunications Sector: Brazil," BNAmericas, January 2003
- Co-author, "Recent Developments in Technology Transfer Regulations," Pinheiro Neto's Weekly Bulletin, March 1993
Selected Speaking Engagements
- Speaker, "Joint Ventures: Brazil & U.S.," Symposium on Comparative Law of Contracts: Brazil & the United States, American University Washington College of Law, Washington, D.C., March 2017
Co-presenter, Brazil-U.S. Legal & Judicial Studies Program, Washington College of Law, American University, Washington, D.C., Fall 2013-present
- Speaker, "Litigating a Civil Case: Brazilian and U.S. Civil Case System Comparison," Issues in the Administration of Justice, International Judicial Academy, Washington, D.C., November 2012 and April 2013
- Moderator, "Legal Perspective and Current Framework," International Conference on Clean and Renewable Energy, Miami, November 2011
- Moderator, " Financing Sustainable Energy Projects, International Conference on Renewable Energy, Miami, November 2010
- Moderator, "Legal Infrastructure for Energy Integration Agreements in the Southern Cone," 4th Annual Energy Integration Congress, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, October 2007
- Speaker, "Doing Business in Brazil," Brazil-Texas Chamber of Commerce, Houston, October 2004
- Speaker, "New Trends in Project Development in Latin America," First Annual International Project Development Conference, International Law Section of the State Bar of Texas, Houston, September 2004
- Speaker, "The Legal Aspects of Internet Access in Latin America," Fifth Annual Latin American Telecom and I.T. Conference, North Texas Global Telecommunications Society, Dallas, June 2003
- Moderator, "The Financing of Telecommunications Infrastructure Projects in Latin America," 8th Annual Telecom/IT Americas Conference, Institute of the Americas, Miami, June 2003
- Speaker, "Distinctions Between Civil Law and Common Law Systems," Bracewell & Patterson Internal CLE, Washington, D.C., July 2002
- Speaker, "Legal Aspects of E-Commerce in Latin America," Inter-American Bar Association, Washington, D.C., January 2001
- Moderator, "The Recent Advances in Information Technology in Brazil," Brazil in the Information Age, Brazilian Consulate General of Boston, May 2000
- Speaker, "The Laws and Regulations Applicable to Satellite Services in Brazil," 11th International Conference of the Information Technology and Telecommunications Law, Brazilian Association of Information Technology and Telecommunications, São Paulo, Brazil, December 1997
- Speaker, "The Legal Framework Regarding Access to the Information Superhighway," 7th International Telecommunications Congress (TELEXPO), São Paulo, Brazil, March 1997
- Speaker, "Tax Benefits for Developing Countries' Exports to the European Union," Eurocentro (European Union Trade Representative Office), São Paulo, Brazil, October 1996
- Guest Lecturer, "Comparative Common and Civil Law Intellectual Property Rights," University Lusiadas, Lisbon, Portugal, May 1996