Bruce H. Jurist's practice focuses on the substantive areas of corporate, finance, tax and real estate law. He counsels clients regarding mergers and acquisitions, joint venture arrangements, ongoing business operations, capital accumulation transactions, financing transactions, real property acquisition transactions and leasing. Mr. Jurist's practice involves a significant amount of work within certain industry groups including government, banking, energy, telecommunications and healthcare.
A member of the Maryland State and District of Columbia bar associations, Mr. Jurist is a 1983 graduate of Hofstra University School of Law, where he was a member of the Law Review and research editor for the International Property Investment Journal, and a graduate of Georgetown University Law Center (LL.M., Taxation) and the University of Maryland (B.S., Business and Management).
Areas of Practice
- Corporate Law
- Tax Law
- Municipal Finance
- Leasing/Commercial Finance Law
- Real Estate Law
Represented Recovery Centers of America in connection with its $290 million real estate recapitalization transaction, where the lender was a subsidiary of Sabra Health Care REIT.
- Represented a substance abuse and mental health treatment company in a $231 million debt and equity financing in an effort to move forward with a multi-state rehabilitation center business.
- Represented an institutional pharmacy concern in the formation, with six local hospitals, of a limited liability company engaged in the sale of home medical equipment. Represent the limited liability company in its ongoing operations, subject to appropriate conflict waivers.
- Represented an institutional pharmacy concern in pharmacy joint-venture transactions in Virginia and Ohio.
- Represent municipal entities, underwriters, trustees and banks in regard to the issuance of obligations exempt from income tax under Section 103(a) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended.
- Represent lease brokers, leasing companies and banks in regard to municipal leasing transactions.
- Represents clients in all aspects of private merger and acquisition transactions.
- Represent clients in regard to the purchase and sale of commercial real property.
- Maryland counsel for regulated investment companies organized in the state of Maryland but operating outside the state.
- Counsel clients regarding derivative transactions and International Swaps and Derivatives Association agreements.
- Represented REIT clients on a transactional and ongoing operational basis.
- Acted as Maryland counsel for REITs organization in the state of Maryland but operating outside of the state, including of annual tax-compliance opinions.
- Represented energy companies in the formation of joint-venture vehicles for construction and operation of cogeneration projects, district heating and cooling projects and other energy outsourcing transactions.
- Represent healthcare companies in regard to sales and acquisitions of skilled nursing facilities, assisted living facilities and pharmacies.
- Represented healthcare companies in the financing and refinancing of real property and leasing of operating facilities.
- Represented skilled-nursing companies in regard to the establishment and operation of healthcare REITs.
- Represented telecommunications companies in their construction, installation, operation, financing and sales of domestic and international fiber-optic cable systems and their capacity.
- Represented energy companies with regard to their financing of electric-generating facilities, including nuclear plants.
- Advises clients regarding the legality of sweepstakes and contests, including Internet-based sweepstakes and contests.
- Counseled white-collar criminals, including Wall Street insider traders, with respect to the tax ramifications of their settlement and disgorgement payments.
- Represent clients in tax controversy proceedings before administrative agencies.
- Served as counsel to Independent Counsel Benjamin Civiletti, who was appointed by Securities and Exchange Commission, U.S. Commodities Futures Trading Commission and the New York State Banking Commission to investigate the international derivatives business of Bankers Trust Co.
- Drafted federal income tax regulations regarding incentive stock options, taxation of property received as compensation for services, backup withholding, tax accounting and taxation of insurance companies.
- Drafted comments to proposed Treasury Regulations and lobbied for legislative tax changes on behalf of clients before the Treasury Department and the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).
- Participated in legislative drafting sessions on Capitol Hill with respect to the Tax Reform Acts of 1984 and 1986.
- District of Columbia
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. Tax Court
- Georgetown University Law Center, LL.M., 1988
- Hofstra University School of Law, J.D., 1983
- Law Review
- Research Editor, International Property Investment Journal
- University of Maryland, B.S., 1980
- Duane Morris LLP
- Partner, 2007-present
- Hodes, Pessin & Katz, P.A.
- Shareholder, 2002-2007
- Neighborcare, Inc.
- Assistant General Counsel (on a contract basis), 2004-2005
- Blank Rome LLP
- Partner, 2000-2002
- Ober, Kaler, A Professional Corporation
- Shareholder, 1997-2000
- Venable LLP
- Partner, 1993-1997
- Of Counsel, 1992
- Associate, 1988-1991
- Mudge Rose Guthrie Alexander & Ferdon
- Associate, 1986-1988
- Internal Revenue Service
Office of Chief Counsel, Legislation and Regulations Division
- Attorney/Advisor, 1983-1986
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- Maryland State Bar Association
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- Association for Governmental Leasing & Finance
Honors and Awards
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America, 2022
- Listed in Smart CEO's Leading Lawyers, 2011
- AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®
- Economic Alliance of Greater Baltimore
- PACT - Helping Children with Special Needs (Kennedy Krieger Institute Affiliate)
- Former Member, Board of Directors
- CollegeBound Foundation
- Former Board Member
Selected Speaking Engagements
- Speaker, "The Fourth Annual Liquidity and Capital Raising National Forum," CohnReznick, November 5, 2014
- Moderator, "Trends and New Deal Structures: What Lies Ahead," Duane Morris Municipal Finance Webinar, March 22, 2011
- Contesting Your Property Real Property Tax Assessment, On Air - Business Connection, Maryland Public Television, - February 2007
- Mergers and Acquisitions, AM-IQ Panel with SmartCEO, presented by ACG Maryland, November 2004