Corey M. Weideman is a partner in Duane Morris’ Trial Practice Group with a practice focused on all phases of complex commercial, intellectual property and employment litigation. Mr. Weideman has valuable experience representing a diverse clientele of Fortune 100 companies, mid-sized companies and individuals in state and federal trial courts across the country and in all forms of alternative dispute resolution. Mr. Weideman’s practice routinely involves matters alleging non-compete, trade secret, unfair competition, fraud, shareholder oppression, copyright infringement, trademark infringement, business torts and complex breach of contract claims.
As a complement to his active litigation practice, Mr. Weideman counsels clients regarding the protection of trade secrets, confidential information and the enforceability of covenants not to compete. Mr. Weideman is further experienced in counseling clients in trademark prosecution and management, including assisting clients with clearance, registration, protection and enforcement.
In addition to helping businesses throughout the country, Mr. Weideman devotes a substantial amount of time and energy to his local community through his participation in organized volunteer programs and by providing pro-bono legal services to low-income individuals and various non-profit organizations. Mr. Weideman currently serves on the board of directors of a local 501(c)(3) organization that raises funds in support of Texas Children’s Hospital and also provides pro-bono legal services to a 501(c)(3) organization with the mission of raising money to provide after-school opportunities for children in the community. He is also responsible for previously developing a pro-bono legal triage at a local homeless shelter to help guide the homeless community through Houston’s Homeless Court. Mr. Weideman has been a member of the Texas State Pro Bono College, which is an honorary society that recognizes Texas lawyers who exceed the State Bar’s aspirational pro bono standard through providing legal services to low-income parties.
Mr. Weideman is a 2006 graduate of South Texas College of Law, where he was a member of the South Texas Law Review and served as an Assistant Note and Comment Editor. In addition, Mr. Weideman received his Bachelor of Arts in Economics from the University of Texas in 2003, where he was named First Team Academic All Big XII Conference and on the Big XII Commissioner's Honor Roll.
- Represented a major oil and gas engineering and construction company in the prosecution of theft of trade secret, breach of contract, and fiduciary duty claims against a former joint venture partner regarding offshore drilling technologies.
- Defense of a Fortune 200 healthcare company and its employees in a misappropriation of trade secret, breach of non-compete agreement, breach of confidentiality agreement, tortious interference with contract, and conversion action. Served as lead trial counsel in successfully defending the company at a temporary injunction hearing that involved the presentation and cross-examination of over a dozen witnesses and ultimately obtained a ruling that the plaintiff's confidentiality and non-compete agreements were unenforceable as written against the client.
- Served as lead trial counsel and obtained complete defense verdict after bench trial on behalf of an environmental monitoring and field equipment supplier in a breach of employment agreement and fraud matter brought by a former employee.
- Successfully represented a former employee of an oil and gas drilling company in the defense of a matter involving the enforcement of non-competition and non-disclosure of trade-secret covenants. Negotiated a "take nothing" settlement after conducting discovery and seeking sanctions against the former employer for attempting to enforce an overbroad covenant under Texas law.
- Successfully represented commercial banks in collection, deficiency, and property foreclosure actions against borrowers and guarantors throughout the state of Texas.
- Obtained temporary restraining order against former employees of office products and services company and the new competitor they formed prohibiting former employees and their company from competing for any customers serviced by the former employees.
- Defense of a majority shareholder in a closely held business with operations in numerous states in a shareholder oppression, breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, and breach of contract matter that settled on the eve of trial for nuisance value.
- Obtained on behalf of a global oil and gas services company a favorable confidential settlement following mediation of its breach of contract, breach of warranty, and fraud claims against a contractor who provided damaged equipment and faulty repair services.
- Represented major downstream oil and gas company in multiple litigation matters, including breach of fuel supply agreement, breach of guaranty, breach of fiduciary duty, embezzlement and tortious interference suits.
- Assisted in the defense of a large privately held medical device company in a misappropriation of trade secrets action in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas regarding spinal implant technologies.
- Achieved client's objectives in representing an equipment manufacturer in the enforcement of non-compete and confidentiality obligations preventing a former employee from working for an industry competitor.
- Assisted in the defense of an international engineering firm against allegations of misappropriation of trade secrets and copyright infringement concerning technologies related to the design and construction of deep-water oil and gas production platforms.
- Served as lead trial counsel in setting aside a large default judgment obtained by a former employee of a multi-family property management company through an equitable bill of review and successfully defeated renewed efforts by the Plaintiff to establish liability against the company.
- Prevailed in a case representing an international energy company in the prosecution of fraud, breach of contract, unjust enrichment, and embezzlement claims against a third party professional services contractor and its principals. Obtained preliminary injunction, sanctions, and favorable settlement after protracted discovery, depositions, and heated litigation.
- Represented a former Chief Financial Officer of a durable medical equipment company in the prosecution of a breach of employment agreement, fraud, and wrongful termination matter, which resulted in a favorable settlement for the client after protracted discovery.
- Counsel to global energy company in various personal injury and employment tort cases. Through strong litigation strategy, all cases have been won on dispositive motions or ultimately settled for nominal amounts in the face of demands as high as $30 million.
- Obtained appellate reversal of motion denying arbitration while serving as lead briefing attorney in complex partnership dispute. See 950 Corbindale, L.P. v. Kotts Capital Holdings Ltd. P'ship, 316 S.W.3d 191 (Tex. App.—Houston [14th Dist.] 2010, no pet.).
- Assisted in obtaining summary judgment and a permanent injunction in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas, in favor of a video-marketing firm on its claim that the defendant had infringed the firm's intellectual property by displaying the firm's copyrighted video and photographs on the defendant's website after its license to use the property had been revoked.
- Represented an athletic shoe manufacturer and distributor in trademark litigation pending in the U.S. District Court for the District of Oregon and Trademark Trial and Appeal Board proceedings.
- Currently representing a leading global supplier of remanufactured and new automotive parts in the prosecution of trade secret, breach of contract, unfair competition, and fraud claims against a former employee and current industry competitor.
- Currently defending several closely held businesses from varying industries against shareholder oppression, breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, breach of contract, and business tort claims.
Areas of Practice
- Commercial Litigation
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Non-compete and Trade Secret Litigation
- Employment Litigation
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- South Texas College of Law, J.D., 2006
- Member, South Texas Law Review
- University of Texas at Austin, B.A., 2003
- Duane Morris LLP
- Partner, 2017-present
- Associate, 2012-2016
- Serpe, Jones, Andrews, Callender & Bell PLLC
- Associate, 2010-2012
- Thompson & Knight LLP
- Associate, 2006-2010
- American Bar Association
- Litigation Section
- Health Law Section
-- Vice Chair, 2014-present
- Texas Bar Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- State Bar of Texas
- Pro Bono College
- Houston Bar Association
- Houston Young Lawyers Association
- The University of Texas T-Association
- Contributor, Duane Morris Non-Compete and Trade Secrets Blog
Honors and Awards
- Texas Rising Star, 2015-present
- TEXLA KCC Inc. (The Krewe of Cajuns and Cowboys)
- Director, 2012-present