Dakota Newton practices in the area of state and local taxation. Mr. Newton has represented numerous taxpayers in direct and indirect tax matters as lead counsel before the Illinois Tax Tribunal and in administrative hearings in other states. He has experience with the tax implications of major equity sales and asset divestitures for public and privately held companies in energy and manufacturing sectors and has advised middle-market clients on entity and asset structuring to optimize state tax outcomes.
Mr. Newton received an LL.M. in Taxation, with honors, in 2019 from Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law, where he was a staff member of The Tax Lawyer. He is a 2018 graduate of William and Mary Law School, where he was executive editor of the William and Mary Business Law Review, and a graduate of Brigham Young University.
- Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law, LL.M. Taxation, with honors, 2019
- Staff Member, The Tax Lawyer
- William and Mary School of Law, J.D., 2018
- Executive Editor, William and Mary Business Law Review
- Brigham Young University, B.A., 2015
- Duane Morris LLP
- Associate, 2022-present
- Horwood Marcus & Berk Chartered
- Associate, 2018-2022
- Co-author, "New York-New Jersey Remote-Work Tax Feud Needs US Intervention," Bloomberg Tax August 10, 2023