Daniel B. Heidtke is a trial attorney attorney with experience representing clients in antitrust, business disputes and commercial competition litigation, complex insurance coverage litigation, internal investigations and white-collar criminal defense. He handles matters in state and federal courts across the United States and is licensed to practice in five states, including California, Illinois, Nevada, Oregon and Washington. Mr. Heidtke also represents clients in products liability, premises liability and privacy rights litigation and in matters involving defamation, libel and rights afforded under the First Amendment. He has experience in state, federal and multidistrict courts, including single plaintiff, multi-plaintiff, class actions and mass tort actions.
Mr. Heidtke is Co-Chair of the Firm’s Associates Committee. Mr. Heidtke is a 2012 cum laude graduate of Loyola University Chicago School of Law, where he was associate editor of the Loyola Consumer Law Review, a student fellow for the Institute for Consumer Antitrust Studies, and during which time he completed internships with judges in federal and state courts. He also is a graduate of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
In his free time, Mr. Heidtke enjoys time with friends, family and his much-adored puppy, Layla. He also is an avid runner, and has run multiple marathons and “ultramarathons,” including 60-kilometer and 50-mile distance races.
- Obtained summary judgment in a complex insurance coverage action on a claim against our clients’ insurance policies, which had limits collectively exceeding $50 million.
- Demurred to and obtained dismissal with prejudice of a trade secrets claim based on the alleged theft of a customer list.
- Demurred to and obtained dismissal with prejudice of a claim brought under the Unfair Competition Law, California Business and Professions Code § 17200.
- Defeated a plaintiff’s untimely motion for leave to amend its complaint, arguing that plaintiff failed to satisfy Rules 15 and 16 of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure.
- Enforced a choice of venue and law clause, defeating a motion to transfer, in an action concerning the breach of a master services agreement.
- Defeated and obtained dismissal of 6 causes of action brought by plaintiffs and a putative class in a products liability matter against a manufacturer, substantially limiting the scope of the putative class and their claims.
- Represented clients in healthcare industry in criminal investigations and civil litigation brought by state and local government and private entities.
- Represented clients in state and federal court against charges of wire, tax, identity and passport fraud.
Represented clients in contemporaneous civil litigation and criminal investigations.
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the District of Nevada
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Washington
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2012
- Associate Editor, Loyola Consumer Law Review
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, B.A., 2009
- Duane Morris LLP
- Associate, 2015-present
- Lewis Brisbois Bisgaard & Smith LLP
- HafterLaw LLC
- Langford McLetchie LLC
- The Institute for Consumer Antitrust Studies
- Research Fellow
- American Bar Association
- Vice Chair, Tort, Trial & Insurance Practice, Young Lawyers Division
- Liaison, Tort, Trial & Insurance Practice, Young Lawyers Division
- Southern Nevada Advertising Advisory Committee, State Bar of Nevada
- Committee Member
- Clark County Bar Association
- Committee Member, New Lawyers Committee
- Howard D. McKibben Inn of Court
- State Bar of Nevada
- Secretary, Insurance and Health Law Section
Honors and Awards
- Listed in Super Lawyers Mountain States Rising Stars, 2021
- Named to Nevada Legal Elite 2016, Nevada Business Magazine
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law Leadership and Service Recognition Award
- Contributor, Duane Morris Insurance Law Blog
- Contributor, Duane Morris TechLaw Blog
- Co-author, "Heating Up: New Orleans-Based Oceana Grill Seeks Insurance Coverage for Coronavirus-Caused Business Interruption," Duane Morris Alert, March 19, 2020
Co-author, “Product Liability: Warnings, Instructions, and Recalls: Nevada," DRI, April 2019
- Co-author, "The TCPA of 1991: Adapting Consumer Protection to Changing Technology," Loyola Consumer Law Review, Spring 2014
- Co-author, "Behavioral Exploitation Antitrust in Consumer Subprime Mortgage Lending," William & Mary Policy Review, Fall 2012
Selected Speaking Engagements
Panelist, "Doing It All," Duane Morris Trial Practice Group Meeting, Boca Raton, FL, October 22, 2016