Daniel Kohn is a partner in the Chicago office of Duane Morris, and is a member of the Real Estate and Finance practice groups. Mr. Kohn has extensive experience representing banks, lending institutions and borrowers in various financing transactions, including structuring, negotiating and documenting syndicated and participated credits (for both the lead lender and for the lending group), healthcare related real estate financing, as well as acquisition, construction, conversion and letter of credit backed facilities. Mr. Kohn also has extensive experience in commercial real estate development, sales and leasing, including significant experience in acquisitions, development, financing and construction of residential, office and industrial buildings. He also represents landlords and tenants in lease negotiations and has been involved in multistate retail leasing transactions involving leases throughout the United States.
Mr. Kohn is a 1987 graduate of the Harvard Law School, and is a graduate of Brandeis University.
- Represented an affiliate of Deerfield Management Company, L.P. in a $540 million acquisition financing for the purchase of an office building at 345 Park Avenue South, New York, New York and for the redevelopment of the building as office building with lab space; financing included three mortgage loans and a mezzanine loan.
- Represented a national lender as administrative agent and lead lender in a $100 million syndicated secured financing to a multi-borrower group of 74 skilled nursing homes located in five states.
- Represented a national bank as administrative agent and lead lender in a $61 million syndicated secured financing to a Midwest-based customer-communications provider for businesses and nonprofit organizations using print and digital media.
- Represented major global bank as agent and lead lender in a $115 million syndicated acquisition financing to a multi-borrower group located in three states in the assisted living and skilled nursing business.
- Acted as counsel to Fortune 500 investment banking company on numerous transactions, performing a wide range of tasks related to syndicated lending, secured lending, construction lending, and revolving credit facilities ranging from $150 million to $600 million.
- Acted as counsel to lenders involved in financing of hospital, nursing home and assisted living facility developments.
- Represented both lenders and borrowers involved in "big box" development of hotels, retail sites, offices and industrial sites utilizing build-to-suit leases.
- Acted as counsel to both lenders and borrowers involved in construction of strip centers, regional centers, office buildings and residential developments.
- Counseled lenders regarding issuance of real estate backed letters of credit and bond transactions.
- Handled purchase and sale agreements, due diligence, and related legal work associated with development of strip centers and retail centers for various developers.
- Represented developers involved in residential condominium development in urban and suburban areas, handling preparation and review of declarations and related documents for condominium management.
- Negotiated, drafted and reviewed lease agreements for retail sites, office sites or other facilities of various national or regional retailers.
- Acted as counsel to Fortune 100 lender in transactions that substituted syndicated real estate backed revolving lines of credit for an unsecured revolving line of credit with different terms. Revolving line of credit had a range of $250 million to $400 million.
- Supreme Court of Illinois
- Harvard Law School, J.D., 1987
- Brandeis University, B.A., 1984
- Duane Morris LLP
- Partner, 1999-present
- Holleb & Coff, Chicago, Illinois
- Partner, 1997-1999
- American Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- The Chicago Bar Association
Honors and Awards
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America, 2022 and 2023
Listed in Illinois Super Lawyers
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell