Daniel Soo is concurrently a Director of Selvam LLC and Duane Morris & Selvam LLP. He is a commercial litigation and international arbitration lawyer who advises and acts for clients in wide range of commercial matters. He has a focus in international trade disputes, insolvency and restructuring, technology, telecommunications and franchising/licensing transactions.
A seasoned litigator with over a decade of experience, Daniel has successfully led several high stakes cases including appeals, trials and applications before the High Court, the Singapore International Arbitration Centre, and Subordinate Courts. He has also been involved in matters before the Court of Appeal.
Mr. Soo’s clients include large multinational corporations and private equity funds from South Korea, China, India and the Asia Pacific region, as well as start-ups and individuals from a range of industries including telecommunications, property, energy, infrastructure, pharmaceutical, education and media.
He has acted as counsel in a range of complex matters including telecommunications and infrastructure disputes, regional cross-border investments, admiralty claims, high-stakes shareholder fights, and insurance and employment disputes, and is never afraid to wade into the trenches on behalf of his clients.
In addition, Mr. Soo advises his clients on a range of non-contentious matters, including IP matters, licensing agreements, compliance with the Personal Data Protection Act, and all aspects of employment law, including contracts, regulations, confidentiality, termination and forensic investigations.
Mr. Soo graduated with Honours (2nd Upper) from the National University of Singapore Law School, where he was placed on the Overall Dean’s List. Prior to joining Selvam LLC, he practiced for ten years in Singapore’s top dispute resolution firm, where he trained and worked with senior counsel.
He is fluent in English and Mandarin.
Areas of Practice
- Commercial Litigation
- International Commercial Arbitration
To the extent that the representative matters listed above fall outside the context of “permitted areas of legal practice” within the meaning of Section 36A of the Legal Profession Act (Chap. 161), they have been conducted by the above named lawyer in his/her capacity as an Advocate & Solicitor of Selvam LLC, a Singapore law practice of the Joint Law Venture.
- Acts for a Singapore pharmaceutical company against a Japanese multinational pharmaceutical conglomerate in arbitral proceedings, for breach of a Licensing Agreement resulting in damages of over USD 200 million.
- Acts for two Korean banks against a Singapore trading company, its directors and other parties in a case of fraud, involving a claim for over USD 20 million, and in subsequent insolvency and restructuring proceedings.
- Acted for a Korean multinational company against a Chinese / Singapore trading company and its directors in a case of fraud and unjust enrichment, involving a claim for over USD 9 million, and in subsequent insolvency and restructuring proceedings.
- Acted for a Singapore company against Grabtaxi Holdings Pte Ltd in relation to a dispute over a contract for the transfer of a domain name.
- Acted for a Singapore energy company in a claim for more than SGD 2 million against eleven town councils for in an action for breach of contract.
- Defended the former Managing Director of a US leadership training provider against a lawsuit claiming damages for breach of a Non-Compete Covenant. The High Court agreed that the Non-Compete Covenant was not enforceable. Centre for Creative Leadership (CCL) Pte Ltd v Byrne Roger Peter and others  2 SLR 193
- Assisted a multinational oil and gas company to obtain a search order against six senior employees after forensic analysis revealed that they had accessed and downloaded files before resigning to join a rival firm (BP Singapore Pte Ltd v Quek Chin Thean and others  2 SLR 541)
- Acted for a multinational real estate investment group against its former VP, Asia in an action for breach of a covenant not to solicit its employees (Walton International Group (Singapore) Pte Ltd and others v Yau Kwok Seng Winston and another  SGHC 144)
- Advising and acting for a coffee chain in relation to its employment of the former General Manager of an artisan bakery and allegations of inducement of breach of contract.
- Advising an investment advisory company on the enforceability of noncompete and confidentiality clauses in its employment contracts and/or reviewing the same.
- Assisting a client in striking out a claim by its former founder/CEO for unfair dismissal in the High Court, and subsequently negotiating a settlement.
- Acted for a Singapore technology company against in a HC suit against Huawei International over a failed WiMAX project.
- Acted for two shareholders of an engineering company in a minority oppression action -  SGHC 177
- Acted in an SIAC arbitration for an Indian infrastructure company involving a mining joint venture in Kalimantan against its Indonesian partners.
- Advised an oil major on its rights under the Singapore-Netherlands treaty and ICSID arbitration relating to the compulsory acquisition of a jetty and oil refinery.
- Defended one of Singapore's largest property magnate in two suits brought by former investors, involving the construction and sale of Park Regis Hotel.
- Advised and acted for a Middle Eastern bank in enforcing a counterguarantee against Export-Impact Bank of China, where an injunction had been granted by the Beijing Municipal Court.
- Defended a director of a multimillion dollar investment company against allegations of fraud, breach of directors' duties and diversion of business opportunities which involved tracing of assets across various jurisdictions.
Other Representative Matters
- National University of Singapore, LL.B. (Hons), 2006
Duane Morris & Selvam LLP
- Director, 2019-present
- Director, 2018-present
- Associate Director, 2017
Drew & Napier LLC
- Director, 2014-2016
- Senior Associate, 2010-2013
- Associate, 2007-2010
- Pupil, 2006-2007
- Fellow, Singapore Institute of Arbitrators
- Law Society of Singapore
- Member of the Law Society Cybersecurity Committee
- Taught Trial Advocacy module at the National University of Singapore (NUS)
- Taught the Trial Advocacy component of the Singapore Bar Examinations