David S. Drobner, P.A. concentrates his practice in commercial leasing, including negotiating and drafting complex commercial leases, subleases and assignments or other transfers of retail and office space. He has extensive experience with ground, warehouse and mixed-use leases, and other hybrids such as hotel retail projects. Mr. Drobner has negotiated collateralizing documentation for leasehold estates and as security for debt, memoranda of leases, subordination, non-disturbance and attornment agreements, estoppels, amendments and terminations.
Mr. Drobner is a 1985 graduate, with honors, of the University of Florida College of Law and a graduate, with highest honors, of the University of Florida.
Areas of Practice
- Real Estate
- Commercial Leasing
- Landlord counsel for a lease to a state community college to operate an education facility in a community-development focused building project yet to be constructed.
- Landlord counsel for negotiation of complicated GSA leases for USMC and USDA spaces at a troubled REO asset.
- Served as commercial leasing counsel for an international commercial investment advisor to funds, REITs and pensions with a focus on day-to-day ownership decisions, including retail and office lease negotiations representing the ownership of approximately 70 medium to regional sized retail shopping centers in multiple states.
- Served as principal commercial leasing counsel for a locally owned downtown Miami high-tech building.
- Served as principal commercial leasing counsel for a local developer and its retail shopping center in Miami.
- Served as counsel for commercial Florida bank-branch leasing for a U.S. major national banking institution.
- Serve as landlord’s counsel in connection with anchor and junior anchor deals (new lease, expansions, contractions, relocations, extensions, terminations, assignments) at multiple U.S. shopping centers.
- Handled anchor deal leasing transactions in an Illinois shopping center redevelopment, negotiating with various national retailers including Panera, Home Depot, and Petco.
- Landlord counsel to a local developer in connection with a lease negotiation for a cannabis dispensary in Miami, FL.
- Landlord counsel for the U.S. arm of an international realty advisor for a retail location, selling CBD oils and CBD infused food items, in Texas.
- University of Florida Levin College of Law, J.D., with honors, 1985
- University of Florida, B.S.B.A., with highest honors, 1982
- Duane Morris LLP
- Partner, 2017-present
- Carlton Fields Jorden Burt P.A.
- Shareholder, 2003-2017
- Katz, Barron, Squitero & Faust
- Partner, 1991-2003
- Law Offices of Michael Steven Green
- Associate, 1988-1991
- Wein Malkin & Bettex
- Associate, 1985-1988
- The Florida Bar
- Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section
-- Landlord/Tenant Committee
- International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC)
Honors and Awards
Selected for inclusion in Florida Super Lawyers, 2012-2019
- Selected for inclusion in Florida Trend's Florida Legal Elite, 2007, 2009, 2011-2012, 2014-2016
- Listed in Chambers USA Guide to America's Leading Business Lawyers (Real Estate), 2007-2014
- Listed as a Top Lawyer in South Florida Legal Guide, 2009 and 2010
- Listed in The Legal 500 (Real Estate Transactions and Finance)
- AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®
Civic and Charitable Activities
- David Posnack Jewish Community Center Board of Directors
- Co-author, "Landlord and Tenant Struggles - And Solutions: A Holistic Approach," Daily Business Review, June 5, 2020
“From Tension to Success: Broker-Owner Relationships in Retail Leasing,” Duane Morris LLP, November 17, 2017
“So Your Job Includes Commercial Leasing—What Could Go Wrong?,” Daily Business Review, November 8, 2017
“Managing Risk: Liability for the Criminal Acts of Others,” December 2011
Co-author, “Tenant Leasing Strategies: Improving Your Position,” Counsel to Counsel, 2006
“Avoid Liability for Criminal Acts of Others,” February 2002
Selected Speaking Engagements
- Presenter, "Cannabis 306: Real Estate Investment in the Cannabis Industry," Duane Morris Cannabis Webinar Series, August 20, 2020