Deanna J. Lucci practices in the area of litigation. Ms. Lucci has experience with commercial litigation, education law cases, class-action matters and employment-related litigation. As a member of the Education Practice Group, Ms. Lucci also counsels educational institutions on regulatory and accreditation matters.
Ms. Lucci is a former judicial law clerk to Magistrate Judge Bernard G. Skomal in the United States District Court, Southern District of California. She previously served as Assistant Deputy Counsel to the Hon. Deborah A. Kaplan, Administrative Judge of the Supreme Court of the State of New York, New York County, Civil Branch. Ms. Lucci has served as a law clerk in five courts throughout New York City, and previously gained litigation experience at a family law firm in New York.
Ms. Lucci regularly volunteers at the Domestic Violence Clinic through the San Diego Volunteer Lawyers Program, helping victims of intimate partner violence obtain restraining orders against their abusers, and she also volunteers for the California Innocence Project.
Ms. Lucci is a 2008 graduate of Hofstra University School of Law, where she was editor-in-chief of The Conscience, the law student newspaper, and a cum laude graduate of California State University, Fullerton. Prior to attending law school, Ms. Lucci worked as a copy editor for the Inland Valley Daily Bulletin in Ontario, CA.
- Obtained an order from California Superior Court granting a motion for reconsideration of an order granting class certification in a wage-and-hour class action case on behalf of the employer which modified the class certification order and limited potential class members.
- Represented a Fortune 100 Top 10 corporation in a putative class action case involving unfair competition, false advertising and Consumer Legal Remedies Act claims.
Represented a Fortune 100 Top 10 corporation in federal court class action wage-and-hour litigation.
- Represented a private college in a writ of mandate proceeding against a California state agency.
- Represented a multinational imaging and electronics company in a consumer warranty and negligent-repair litigation in Superior Court.
- Represented a private equity firm in contract dispute litigation.
- Represented a multi-unit fast-food franchisee in a dispute with his business partners.
- Represented a private school in an arbitration proceeding brought by a former student asserting multiple tort claims.
- Represented a non-profit organization in lease dispute litigation.
- Defended a private college against a complaint filed with an accreditation bureau by a former employee.
- Represented a private school in federal court ERISA litigation.
- Represented a private career college in misrepresentation litigation.
- Advised an educational technology company on a personnel matter.
- Represented high-net-worth individual in employment litigation filed by former caretakers.
- Represented private college in arbitration alleging multiple tort claims.
- Represented non-profit alcohol and drug recovery agency in pre-litigation request for treatment records of former client, and counseled the agency on the appropriate process and fees to charge for medical records requests.
- Represented licensee of grocery store chain in federal court litigation.
Represented university in arbitration matter filed by former graduate student.
Represented local foster child pro bono in obtaining Individualized Education Program (IEP) from school district.
Represented skin-care corporation in federal court ERISA litigation involving injunctive relief.
Obtained a permanent three-year domestic violence restraining order on behalf of a pro bono client after a Superior Court hearing.
Conducted appellate analysis pro bono through the Family Violence Appellate Project for domestic violence victim whose request for a restraining order was denied by the trial court.
Filed writ of mandate petition and motion for temporary restraining order against two California state agencies challenging temporary order as abuse of discretion.
Counseled colleges on appropriate uses of CARES Act funding.
Represented college in federal court putative class action litigation.
Represented school in matter before the California Bureau of Private Postsecondary Education (BPPE) and the California Office of Administrative Hearings.
Represented college in writ of mandate and preliminary injunction action filed against California state agency, which resulted in successful resolution of relief sought in temporary restraining order.
Represented corporation in putative class-action matter involving alleged violations of California Proposition 65 with respect to product labels.
- Advised college on accreditation and state licensing issues.
Counseled college on accrediting agency’s annual reporting requirements.
Provided regulatory advice to school with respect to website.
Represented college in state attorney general investigation.
Counseled college with respect to financial aid issues caused by COVID-19 pandemic.
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- Hofstra University School of Law, J.D., 2008
- Editor-in-Chief, The Conscience
- California State University, Fullerton, B.A., cum laude, 2003
Duane Morris LLP
- Associate, 2019-present
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- Law Clerk to Magistrate Judge Bernard G. Skomal, 2019
Caietti Law Group APC
- Contract Attorney/Law Clerk, 2018-2019
Finlayson Toffer Roosevelt & Lilly LLP
- Contract Attorney/Law Clerk, 2018-2019
Supreme Court, New York County, Civil Branch
- Assistant Deputy Counsel to the Hon. Deborah A. Kaplan, 2015-2018
DiMascio & Associates LLP
- Associate, 2012-2015
Civil Court of the City of New York
- Senior Court Attorney to the Hon. Nancy M. Bannon, 2010-2012
Supreme Court, New York County, Civil Branch
- Assistant Law Clerk to the Hon. Deborah A. Kaplan, 2008-2010
American Inns of Court, Louis M. Welsh Inn
Lawyers Club of San Diego
- Professional Advancement Committee
- Bench Bar Committee
San Diego County Bar Association
San Diego Inn of Court 2019 Trial Program
National Association of Women Lawyers
Honors and Awards
DiMascio & Associates, LLP, Top Provider of Pro Bono Services, 2014, Nassau County Bar Association Access to Justice Committee
Brooklyn Women’s Bar Association
- Board Member, 2011-2012
- Contributor, Duane Morris Cannabis Industry Blog
- Co-author, "Governor Cuomo's Budget Includes Details About Cannabis Legalization Proposal," Duane Morris Alert, January 22, 2021
- Co-author, "Governor Cuomo Proposes Cannabis Legalization in New York State," Duane Morris Alert, January 11, 2021
- Quoted, "MORE Act Passes House Vote In 'Giant Step' For Cannabis Reform, But Falls Short On Restorative Justice," Benzinga, December 4, 2020
- Author, "COVID-Related College Tuition Refund Claims Dismissed," Duane Morris UpdatED Blog, October 12, 2020
- Co-author, "OCR Guidance on Disability Rights and Distance Learning During the COVID-19 Pandemic," Duane Morris UpdateED Blog, April 14, 2020
Newsletter Editor, Office for Family Violence Cases, New York State Unified Court System, Fall 2016 and Summer 2017
Editor, "Bi-Annual Report to the Chief Judge and Chief Administrative Judge of the State of New York," Office for Family Violence Cases, New York State Unified Court System, October 2017
Editor, "Understanding and Preventing Financial Exploitation of Vulnerable Older Adults," Office for Family Violence Cases, New York State Unified Court System, November 2017
Co-author, “What’s Up with the Prenup?” Move LifeStyle online magazine
Selected Speaking Engagements
- Presenter, "Love Thy Neighbor: How to ‘Win’ Your Case Through Early Mediation," American Inns of Court, Louis M. Welsh Inn, Inn No. 9, February 20, 2020
Moderator, "Q and A with a Guardianship Judge," An Evening Dedicated to Elder Justice Issues, sponsored by the Brooklyn Bar Association in collaboration with the Office of the Statewide Coordinating Judge for Family Violence Cases, New York State Unified Court System Office of Court Administration, Brooklyn, New York, November 1, 2017
Presenter, "A New Case from a New Face," Nassau County Bar Association Matrimonial Law Committee, September 2014
Guest, "Your Money Show” WebTalk Radio Show, March 18, 2015