Hernan Gonzalez Moneta advises clients with respect to Mexican and international tax and corporate matters, including all aspects of cross-border transactions, interpretation and application of tax treaties, mergers and acquisitions, corporate reorganizations, permanent establishment issues, licensing structures, transfer pricing, foreign tax credit planning and expatriates’ tax regime, as well as research and development tax incentives. He concentrates his practice on international tax planning and guides clients in the implementation of their multijurisdictional business structures.
Mr. Gonzalez Moneta also has broad experience in advising individuals and international families, celebrities and entertainers with their international endeavors. He also assists clients with the negotiation of private letter rulings concerning international transactions, including the lobbying and prosecution of administrative matters before Mexican federal and state authorities.
Mr. Gonzalez Moneta has drafted tax reform proposals concerning clients’ benefits, which were discussed and passed by the Mexican Legislature. Likewise, he has advised Mexican federal government agencies regarding compliance given to legal and payment obligations under major media campaigns. Mr. Gonzalez Moneta has also determined for the Mexican operations of major international groups value-added tax (VAT)-efficient strategies for imports and exports, as well as assisting them in securing large VAT refunds. He has secured registration of foreign banks and pension funds before Mexico’s Foreign Banks & Pension and Retirement Funds Registry. In addition, Mr. Gonzalez Moneta has successfully handled several tax, administrative and intellectual property litigation procedures.
Mr. Gonzalez Moneta is a graduate of Georgetown University Law Center (LL.M., 2010) and the Universidad de Monterrey (J.D., 2001).
- New York
- Georgetown University Law Center, LL.M., Taxation, 2010
- Universidad de Monterrey, J.D., 2001
- Duane Morris LLP
- Partner, 2021-present
- Reed Smith LLP
- Senior Associate/Foreign Legal Consultant, 2013-2021
- Dentons US LLP
- Foreign Legal Consultant, 2012-2013
- DLA Piper LLP
- Foreign Legal Consultant, 2010-2012
- Sanchez-DeVanny Eseverri S.C.
- Industrial Partner, 2002-2009
- Baker & McKenzie Abogados S.C.
- Associate/Law Clerk, 1999-2002
- Quoted, "Experts: Cannabis Opportunity in Mexico Intriguing, but Still Years Away," Cannabis News, March 22, 2022
- Co-author, "Seizing Golden Opportunities in Mexico Through Nearshoring," Duane Morris Alert, March 6, 2023