James F. Rittinger is a litigator who has tried and handled appeals in leading cases in all areas of commercial litigation. Mr. Rittinger has particular experience in complex commercial litigation involving antitrust, securities, commercial contracts and insurance coverage, as well as intellectual property areas such as copyright, trademark, defamation, the rights of privacy and publicity, advertising, the music industry and media contracts. He represents publishers, advertising agencies and broadcasters in a variety of negotiations and litigated proceedings. He has extensive experience in arbitrating cases before the American Arbitration Association and other forums and has served as a party-selected arbitrator.
Mr. Rittinger is a 1971 graduate of the University of Notre Dame Law School, where he was an editor of the Notre Dame Law Review, and a cum laude graduate of St. Bonaventure University.
He served on active duty as a Lieutenant in the United States Army (1971-1972).
Areas of Practice
- Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Intellectual Property and Media Law
- Insurance and Professional Liability
- Labor and Employment Law
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota
- U.S. District Court for the District of Nevada
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- University of Notre Dame Law School, J.D., 1971
- St. Bonaventure University, B.A., 1968
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York
Honors and Awards
- Listed in New York Metro Super Lawyers, 2012-2021
- AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®
- Waterhouse Investor Services, Inc.,
- Board of Directors, 1987-1997
- National Investors Cash Management Fund, Inc.
- Chairman, 1997-2007
Civic and Charitable Activities
- Served as Justice of the Village of Briarcliff Manor, New York, 1983-1994