Jiazhong (Jason) Luo, Ph.D., practices in the area of intellectual property focusing on all aspects of patent law, including patent prosecution, due diligence, opinion, and litigation. Dr. Luo has represented clients in patent prosecutions in the areas of chemistry, pharmaceuticals, material science, polymer science, nanotechnology, semiconductor devices & processing, optoelectronic materials & devices, organic light emitting diodes, photovoltaic devices, smart cards, sensors, computer simulation, medical devices, surgical tools, antibody, bioanalysis, and ornamental design.
He has performed analyses and drafted opinions on patentability, freedom-to-operate (FTO), non-infringement, and invalidity in these technical areas, including invalidity opinions for generic pharmaceutical companies filing Abbreviated New Drug Applications (ANDA), and FTO opinions before commercialization of medical devices. Dr. Luo has also worked on patent litigation and inter partes review (IPR) cases involving plasma physics, semiconductor processing, chemicals, generic drugs, and related applicators.
In addition to his patent law practice, Dr. Luo has also worked on pro bono matters involving trademark, immigration and citizenship.
Dr. Luo has more than a decade of industry experience including research and development work and project management. He developed and commercialized several new technologies and products of polymers and nanomaterials, especially for electric, electronic, optoelectronic and semiconductor applications. He had working experience in international collaboration with Japanese companies. Dr. Luo is an inventor of 11 U.S.-issued patents. He has also authored 15 peer-reviewed research papers, three legal articles, and a book chapter.
Dr. Luo earned a Ph.D. and an M.S. in Materials Science and Engineering from The Ohio State University. He also holds an M.S. in Polymer Chemistry and Physics and a B.S. in Chemistry from Nankai University. Dr. Luo graduated from Temple University Beasley School of Law with a J.D., cum laude, in 2013. He also received the Robert C. Podwil Memorial Prize, which is awarded annually to the graduate who demonstrates excellent academic performance and plans to practice in the area of intellectual property.
He is a native speaker of Chinese and speaks fluent English, and has studied Japanese and German.
- Member of a team that represented a Fortune 500 company in the sale of a stream of royalty revenue from commercialization of a drug candidate for $485 million in cash.
- Member of a team that represented a leading semiconductor company (defendant) in two patent litigation cases involving 13 patents related to plasma technology for semiconductors.
- Member of a team that represented a specialty chemical company (plaintiff) in two patent litigation cases involving chemicals and methods for environmental remediation.
- Member of a team that represented generic drug companies in two ANDA litigation cases involving pharmaceutical compounds, formulations, and related applicators.
- Represented and assisted a LED company to market its products in the U.S.
- New Jersey
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- Temple University Beasley School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2013
- Recipient of the Robert C. Podwil Memorial Prize
- The Ohio State University, Ph.D., Materials Science and Engineering, 1998
- The Ohio State University, M.S., Materials Science and Engineering, 1997
- Nankai University, M.S., Polymer Chemistry & Physics, 1993
- Recipient of Yang Shixian Prize
- Nankai University, B.S., Chemistry, 1990
- Duane Morris LLP
- Associate, 2013-present
- Patent Agent, 2012-2013
- Greene Tweed Inc.
- Senior Scientist (Polymer R&D Chemist), 2005-2011
- Eikos Inc.
- Senior Scientist, 2003-2005
- Emerson & Cuming, Electronic & Engineering Division, National Starch & Chemical/ICI
- Senior Project Supervisor, 2001-2003
- Judd Wire Inc., Subsidiary of Sumitomo Electric Industries, Ltd.
- Materials R&D Engineer, 1998-2000
- The Ohio State University
- Research Associate, 1994-1998
- Nankai University
- Research Engineer, 1993-1994
- American Inn of Court of Benjamin Franklin
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- American Chemical Society
- Materials Research Society
- Temple Journal of Science, Technology & Environmental Law
- Research & Article Editor (2011-2012)
- Staff Editor (2010-2011)
- Mid-Atlantic Rubber and Plastics Group
- Board Member, 2008-2009
Co-author, "Chapter 3, Strategies for Patent Applications in the U.S.," Strategies for Patent Application Abroad and In Hong Kong, Macau, and Taiwan, Intellectual Property Publishing House (China), 2018 (in press).
Co-author, "Benefits Of Expedited Review Of Sole-Source Drug ANDAs," Law360, April 22, 2016.
Co-author, "FDA Implements Expedited Review of ANDA Submissions for 'Sole-source' Drug Products," Duane Morris Alert, March 31, 2016.
- Author, "PTAB's Two Precedential Opinions And Impact Of Previous Proceeding On AIA Reviews," Duane Morris Blog; and IP Frontline, March 2016.
- Author, "Cloudy Intent, Crowded Lawsuits and 'Atomic Bomb' Remedy: Intent Test in Inequitable Conduct Defense of Patent Infringement Litigation, 30 Temp. J. Sci. Tech. & Envtl. L.,239 (2011).
- Co-author, "Properties and characterization of carbon nanotube based transparent conductive coatings," Journal of the Society for Information Display, 2005, 13/9, 759-763.
- "Transparent carbon nanotube electrodes for LCD color filter," Proc. International Display, 2004, 11, 557-559.
- Co-author, "Phase transformation effects on the wear properties of alumina gel-polymer matrix nanocomposites," J. Materials Research, 2001, 16(6), 1680.
- Co-author, "Solid-state NMR evaluation of the silane structure on nanoporous silica fillers," J. Adhesion Science and Technology, 2001, 15(3), 267-394.
- Co-author, "Effect of silane coupling agents on the wear resistance of polymer-nanoporous silica gel composites," Materials Science & Engineering C, 1997, 5(1), 15.
- Co-author, "Effect of filler porosity on the abrasion resistance of nanoporous silica gel/polymer composites," Dental Materials, 1998, 14, 29.
- Co-author, "Study on the synthesis of high elongation polyurethane," European Polymer J., 1998, 24(1), 59-66.
Selected Speaking Engagements
- Clinician, "Patent Fundamentals Bootcamp 2020: An Introduction to Patent Drafting, Prosecution, and Litigation," Practising Law Institute Webinar, June 2-4, 2020
Speaker, "Intellectual Properties and Legal Considerations in Pharmaceutical Industry," 2017 Philadelphia Pharmaceutical Symposium, Invited Speaker for Advanced Course on Pharmaceutical R & D, Philadelphia, October 21, 2017
Speaker, "General Legal Considerations for Product Development in Polymer & Material Industries," Internal Elastomer Conference & 192nd Technical Meeting of the Rubber Division, American Chemical Society (ACS), Cleveland, October 11, 2017
Panelist, "Philly’s Global Lawyers: Educating and Training International Lawyers in the Philadelphia Metropolitan Area," International Law Committee of Philadelphia Bar Association, Philadelphia, October 6, 2017
Speaker, "ANDA Filing, Hatch Waxman Litigation, and Post Grant Patent Challenge," US-China Biopharma Congress 2017 organized by Sino-American Pharmaceutical Professionals Association - Greater Philadelphia (SAPA-GP) , King of Prussia, PA, June 23, 2017
- Speaker, "General Legal Considerations for Product Development in Polymer & Material Industries," MidAtlantic Rubber & Plastics Group (MARPG) Educational Symposium, November 17, 2016
- Speaker, "'Cross-links' Between Patent Law and Inventions in Polymer Science," MidAtlantic Rubber & Plastics Group (MARPG) Spring Tech Meeting, May 8, 2014.