Jeffrey S. Pollack serves as trial counsel for Duane Morris' clients throughout the United States. He has appeared before numerous state and federal courts in matters involving patent and trademark infringement, unfair competition, contract disputes, covenants not to compete/restrictive covenants, and antitrust, RICO, and securities claims. As trial counsel, Mr. Pollack has successfully tried cases to verdict and counsels clients regarding all aspects of the law and litigation. Mr. Pollack has also received recognition from the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas for his pro bono service on the behalf of underprivileged litigants.
Prior to joining Duane Morris, Mr. Pollack was a judicial clerk for the Honorable Michael M. Baylson of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania and is a 2003 cum laude graduate of the University of Pennsylvania Law School, where he was managing editor of the University of Pennsylvania Law Review.
- Represent Fortune 100 computer networking company in patent litigation related to 802.11 wireless technology.
- Representing ING Direct against allegations of infringement of a patent related to systems for providing traffic information to mobile users; case pending. Traffic Information, LLC v. Flixster, Inc., et al., No. 11-cv-420 (E.D. Tex.).
- Represented ING Direct against allegations of infringement of a patent relating to data encryption. Stambler v. Intuit, Inc., et al., No. 10-cv-181 (E.D. Tex.).
- Represented Safeway Inc. against allegations of patent infringement of a patent related to encrypted data transmission system employing means for randomly altering encryption keys. TQP Development, LLC v. Caterpillar Inc., et al., No. 11-cv-00396 (E.D. Tex.).
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a multinational corporation headquartered in Pittsburgh and two related entities finding that plaintiff's state law claims were patent claims and that plaintiff's patent was not infringed. Wawrzynski v. H.J. Heinz Co., No. 11-cv-01098 (W.D. Pa.).
- Representing multinational corporation headquartered in Pittsburgh against allegations of infringement of a patent related to condiment container configured to be carried by a standard drink holder. White v. H.J. Heinz Company, L.P., No. 12-6074 (N.D. Ill.).
- Represented oil and gas company in action alleging trademark infringement. American Energy Corporation v. American Energy Partners, LP, No. 13-886 (S.D. Ohio).
- Represented a manufacturer of customized specialty trucks and vehicles in action alleging infringement of its trademark by a competitor. Kovatch Mobile Equipment Corp. v. Spartan Motors Chassis, Inc., et al., No. 11-cv-2465 (E.D. Pa.).
- Represented a regional transportation authority in a trademark suit arising from a law firm's use of the website MySEPTALawyer.com. Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority v. Mednick, et al., Civil Action No. 2:10-cv-02978-LDD (E.D. Pa.).
- Represented the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in trademark action regarding the unauthorized use of its trademarks in a commercial website domain name. Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, Department of Labor and Industry vs. Titchenal, No. 09-4126 (E.D. Pa.).
- Represented franchisees of a national fast food franchise alleged to have violated the New Jersey Gift Card Statute and the Truth in Consumer Contract, Warranty, and Notice Act. Storch v. Five Guys Enterprises LLC, No. MRS-L-116-11 (N.J. Super. Ct. Law Div.).
- Obtained dismissal and summary judgment on behalf of a leading life insurance company in class action asserting antitrust, RICO and ERISA violations relating to contingent commissions. In re Employee Benefits Insurance Brokerage Antitrust Litig., MDL No. 1663, No. 05-cv-1079 (D.N.J.).
- Obtained order compelling non-class arbitration of plaintiff's claims in class action asserting claims under the Pennsylvania Usury Law, Pennsylvania Unfair Trade Practices and Consumer Protection Law, and Pennsylvania Fair Credit Extension Uniformity Act. O'Shea v. Direct Financial Solutions LLC, No. 07-1881 (E.D. Pa.).
- Represented a seller of variable annuities in class action alleging fraud under Section 12(a)(2) of the Federal Securities Act of 1933. Johnson v. Aegon USA, Inc., No. 01-2617 (N.D. Ga.).
- Obtain dismissal of putative shareholder derivative action alleging aiding and abetting breach of fiduciary duty in merger transaction.
- Represent Special Litigation Committee of bank holding company in internal investigation of putative shareholder derivative claims related to breach of fiduciary duty.
- Wawrzynski v. H.J. Heinz Co., et al. (W.D. Pa.) 2015 jury trial; defense verdict in case in which plaintiff claimed Heinz used his ideas in Heinz's Dip and Squeeze ketchup package.
- Represented national parking company in action alleging breach of a lease agreement. Basciano v. Five Star Parking, No. 11-1250 (E.D. Pa.).
- Represented medical equipment reseller in breach of contract claim regarding sale of an MRI machine. NOL, LLC v. ReMedPar, Inc., No. 11-90-III (Tenn. Ch. Ct.).
- Represented a utility company in litigation over indemnities in connection with sale of water and sewer facilities. Aqua America, Inc. v. Duquesne Light Holdings, Inc., May Term 2007, No. 2504 (Phila. CCP).
- Represented a leading life insurance company in action involving claims regarding the formation and efficacy of an Employee Stock Ownership Plan as part of an alleged tax-shelter program. Trelease, et al. v. Metropolitan Life Insurance Co., et al., No. MID-L-5804-07 (Middlesex Sup. Ct.).
- Represented an automobile dealership and its owners against a national manufacturer in a case alleging, among other things, fraud and violations of the state and federal RICO statutes as well as the New Jersey Franchise Practices Act. Darrick Enterprises, Inc. et al. v. Mitsubishi Motors Corporation, et al., No. 1:05-cv-4359 (D.N.J.).
- Serve as MDL counsel for major automobile manufacturer in MDL-875 In re: Asbestos Products Liability Litigation.
- Obtained summary judgment in personal injury lawsuit on behalf of a truck manufacturer on the ground that client could not, under the law of Pennsylvania, be liable as a successor corporation to the corporation that manufactured the truck in question.
- Obtained an order on behalf of Petitioner granting a Verified Petition for Return of Child to Petitioner pursuant to The Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction and the International Child Abduction Remedies Act. Hamprecht v. Hamprecht, No. 2:12-cv-00125-UA-DNF (M.D. Fla. 2012).
- Representing Paraguayan client in seeking return of child to home country pursuant to the Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction.
- Representing client in action seeking to hold him liable for the alleged misuse of his car by a third-party. Ly v. Castro, et al., No. 110102465 (Phila. CCP).
- Obtained verdict on behalf of client in personal injury action seeking to hold him liable for alleged negligent shoveling of snow and ice on neighbor's steps. Scott v. Wakefield, et al., May Term, 2008, No. 001269 (Phila. CCP).
Class Action Litigation
Products Liability Litigation
Pro Bono Litigation
- New Jersey
- University of Pennsylvania Law School, J.D., cum laude, 2003
- Managing Editor, University of Pennsylvania Law Review
- Brandeis University, B.A., cum laude, 1999
- Duane Morris LLP
- Partner, 2013-present
- Associate, 2004-2012
- Judicial Clerk, Honorable Michael M. Baylson, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, 2003-2004
Civic and Charitable Activities
- National Multiple Sclerosis Society Leaders Circle, 2012
- Former Director and President of the Elfreth's Alley Association
- Co-author, "Superior Court of New Jersey Slashes Attorneys' Fees in Class Action Settlement," Duane Morris Alert, June 20, 2012