Jeffrey S. Pollack is an experienced trial lawyer who has successfully tried cases to verdict in state and federal courts across the country. He represents clients in actions involving products liability, toxic torts, workplace safety, patent and trademark infringement, and public contract and construction disputes. His clients include Class I railroads, automobile manufacturers, public transit authorities, medical device manufacturers, healthcare providers, and general contractors.
In addition to successfully trying cases to verdict, Mr. Pollack has received recognition from the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas for his pro bono service on the behalf of underprivileged litigants.
Prior to joining Duane Morris, Mr. Pollack was a judicial clerk for the Honorable Michael M. Baylson of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania and is a 2003 cum laude graduate of the University of Pennsylvania Law School, where he was Managing Editor of the University of Pennsylvania Law Review and a member of the Moot Court Board.
Secured a complete victory in favor of Consolidated Rail Corporation and CSX Transportation, Inc. following a seven-day jury trial in the Philadelphia County Court of Common Pleas. The complaint was filed by a former Conrail and CSX employee who claimed that he developed kidney cancer as a result of alleged workplace exposures to asbestos and diesel exhaust during his thirty-two year railroad career. At trial, the team demonstrated that the plaintiff was never exposed to unsafe levels of either, and that his alleged exposures did not cause his cancer. After over three years of hard-fought litigation, the team secured a finding of zero liability.
- Prevailed in a trial in the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas against a Plaintiff who claimed to have developed chronic lymphocytic leukemia from his work at CSX Transportation, Inc. Plaintiff claimed his CLL was the result of exposure to diesel exhaust on a daily basis.
- Represent public transit authority in multimillion dollar dispute over refurbishment of its fleet of railcars.
Represent Lockheed Martin in a contractual dispute arising from an agreement between the parties for the design, development and installation of an integrated electronic security system for New York City's public transportation system, with damages estimated at more than $130 million.
- Obtained defense verdict on behalf of H.J. Heinz Company in a case in which plaintiff claimed Heinz used his ideas in its Dip and Squeeze ketchup package.
Represented an automobile dealership and its owners against a national manufacturer in a case alleging, among other things, fraud and violations of the state and federal RICO statutes as well as the New Jersey Franchise Practices Act.
Represented a public transportation authority in a trademark suit arising from a law firm's use of the website MySEPTALawyer.com.
- Represented oil and gas company, American Energy Partners, in action filed by American Energy Corporation alleging trademark infringement.
- Serve as MDL counsel for major automobile manufacturer in MDL-875 In re: Asbestos Products Liability Litigation.
Obtained summary judgment in personal injury lawsuit on behalf of a truck manufacturer on the ground that client could not, under the law of Pennsylvania, be liable as a successor corporation to the corporation that manufactured the truck in question.
- Successfully tried cases on behalf of pro bono clients, resulting in the return of their children to their home country pursuant to the Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction.
Obtained defense verdict at trial on behalf of client in personal injury action seeking to hold him liable for alleged negligent shoveling of snow and ice on neighbor's steps.
Defends Class I railroads in FELA cases, complex preemption issues, and the defense of significant third party personal injury claims.
Represent public transit authority in negotiating with manufacturer for repairs to in-service railcars.
- Represented a manufacturer of customized specialty trucks and vehicles in action alleging infringement of its trademark by a competitor. Kovatch Mobile Equipment Corp. v. Spartan Motors Chassis, Inc., et al., No. 11-cv-2465 (E.D. Pa.).
- Wawrzynski v. H.J. Heinz Co., et al. (W.D. Pa.) 2015 jury trial; defense verdict in case in which plaintiff claimed Heinz used his ideas in Heinz's Dip and Squeeze ketchup package.
Represent Fortune 100 computer networking company in patent litigation related to 802.11 wireless technology.
- Represented multinational corporation headquartered in Pittsburgh against allegations of infringement of a patent related to condiment container configured to be carried by a standard drink holder. White v. H.J. Heinz Company, L.P., No. 12-6074 (N.D. Ill.).
- Represented a leading life insurance company in action involving claims regarding the formation and efficacy of an Employee Stock Ownership Plan as part of an alleged tax-shelter program. Trelease, et al. v. Metropolitan Life Insurance Co., et al., No. MID-L-5804-07 (Middlesex Sup. Ct.).
Represent Special Litigation Committee of bank holding company in internal investigation of putative shareholder derivative claims related to breach of fiduciary duty.
Obtain dismissal of putative shareholder derivative action alleging aiding and abetting breach of fiduciary duty in merger transaction.
Successfully represented Dominican client in seeking return of children to home country pursuant to the Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction.
Representing Honduran client seeking return of child to home country pursuant to the Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction.
Pro Bono Litigation
- New Jersey
- University of Pennsylvania Carey Law School, J.D., cum laude, 2003
- Managing Editor, University of Pennsylvania Law Review
- Member, Moot Court Board
- Brandeis University, B.A., cum laude, 1999
- Duane Morris LLP
- Partner, 2013-present
- Associate, 2004-2012
- Judicial Clerk, Honorable Michael M. Baylson, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, 2003-2004
Civic and Charitable Activities
- National Multiple Sclerosis Society Leaders Circle, 2012
- Former Director and President of the Elfreth's Alley Association
- Co-author, "Superior Court of New Jersey Slashes Attorneys' Fees in Class Action Settlement," Duane Morris Alert, June 20, 2012