Jessica Y. Singh concentrates her practice in the areas of construction, real estate and commercial litigation. She serves as a team lead for the Duane Morris Construction and Engineering industry group. Ms. Singh is an experienced litigator and commercial trial attorney, and focuses her practice on guiding clients through arbitrations, trials and other forms of dispute resolution. Ms. Singh has litigated and tried numerous complex construction cases involving private and public disputes before juries and before courts sitting without a jury. Ms. Singh is experienced in use of court technology in trial presentation and jury selection, and is familiar with jury consultant/mock trial services in large-scale jury trials. Ms. Singh is also a member of the firm's Diversity and Inclusion Committee.
Ms. Singh is a 2001 graduate of the Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, where she was senior managing editor of the Cardozo Women's Law Journal, and a graduate of the State University of New York at Binghamton. Ms. Singh is fluent in Korean.
Areas of Practice
- Construction Law
- Commercial Litigation
- Real Estate Law
- Obtained a judgment from the State Supreme Court, New York County, dismissing Defendant City of New York's affirmative defenses and counterclaims for fraud against our client totaling $75 million arising out of the criminal convictions of two former employees and several subcontractors for fraud. The court found that the City's counterclaims and affirmative defenses were barred by the statute of limitations.
- Representations of a general contractor in litigations against the City and the State of New York, and subcontractor concerning the construction of highways and bridges in New York.
- Represented a large general contractor in their dispute with the state over an unpaid contract balance in a highway construction project. Won a dismissal of the state's fraud counterclaim.
- Represented the designer of a construction safety system against the city government. Successfully moved to have the dispute settled through arbitration, overcoming long-standing case law which allowed the government agency to arbitrate the matter internally.
- Represented an electrical contractor in a dispute arising out of a multi-prime construction project which raised unique legal issues relating to the interplay between privity of contract and liability for construction delay in public construction projects.
- Representation of a general contractor in arbitration against a subcontractor on an airport construction project in Queens, New York.
- Representation of a university-owner in litigation against a mechanical contractor concerning the construction and modification of a boiler plant in New York, NY.
- Representation of a university-owner in litigation against contractors and design professionals concerning defective design and construction of sports field in New York, NY.
- Representation of a co-op in litigation against contractors and engineers concerning a collapse of a 70 ft. retaining wall in New York, NY.
- Representation of a commercial tenant in litigation, trials and appeals against the property owner concerning long term lease and purchase option.
- Representation of a general contractor in litigation and jury trial against the City of New York concerning a school construction project.
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, J.D., 2001
- State University of New York at Binghamton, B.A., 1998
- Duane Morris LLP
- Partner, 2013-present
- Associate, 2008-2012
- Thelen LLP
- Associate, 2002-2008
- Goldberg & Connolly
- Litigation Attorney, 2001-2002
- American Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- New York County Lawyers Association
- Korean American Lawyers Association of Greater New York
Honors and Awards
- Listed as a "Next Generation Lawyer" by The Legal 500, 2017
- Listed as a New York Metro Rising Star
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity, Fellow, 2013
- Co-Author, "Striving for Diversity - A Guide to Implementing Law Firm Diversity Programs," ABA Forum on the Construction Industry 2011 Annual Meeting, Scottsdale, Arizona, April 14-16, 2011
- Co-author, "Service of Process and The Hague Convention," New York Law Journal, August 27, 2010
- Author, "In-Prison Day Care: A Correctional Alternative for Women Offenders," 7 Cardozo Women's Law Journal, 221, 2001