Jolie-Anne S. Ansley focuses her practice on environmental, water and energy law, representing clients in both judicial and administrative proceedings. An experienced litigator, Ms. Ansley has represented both public entities and private clients in a variety of environmental matters. She represents clients in both litigation and regulatory compliance including CEQA, NEPA, ESA, Clean Water Act, CERCLA and RCRA. In addition, Ms. Ansley represents clients before the CPUC and the SWRCB/RWQCB. With her background in complex litigation, Ms. Ansley also has substantial experience representing both plaintiffs and defendants in a broader array of matters including complex business disputes, insurance coverage actions and bankruptcy proceedings.
Prior to joining Duane Morris LLP, Ms. Ansley served as general counsel to an energy engineering consulting firm.
Ms. Ansley is a 2002 magna cum laude graduate of the University of California, Hastings College of the Law, where she was a member of the Hastings Law Journal, and a graduate of the University of California, Berkeley (M.S., Wildland Resource Science) and the University of Michigan (B.S., Resource Ecology and Management).
- Representation of the State of California Department of Water Resources in hearings before the State Water Resources Control Board to obtain permits for the development of two water tunnels that will convey water under the California Bay-Delta Estuary.
- Litigated and then negotiated on behalf of the Merced Irrigation District a settlement of a major water litigation case in California against a downstream water user who was claiming a perpetual right to water.
- Represent large prepaid wireless provider in an adjudicatory proceeding at the California Public Utilities Commission and related court actions.
- Represented landowner regarding a water-right permit application.
- Provided advice to water utilities and water contractors regarding water transfers.
- Represented a city regarding pre-1914 water rights and applications to appropriate water.
- Represented water agencies regarding California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) and National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) litigation.
- Represented water agencies regarding compliance with the Endangered Species Act (ESA).
- Represented public agency regarding issues pertaining to the Brown Act and Public Records Act.
- Represented a wireless service provider in proceedings before the California Public Utilities Commission.
- Represented a California city in a complex federal environmental cost-recovery action under the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation and Liability Act (CERCLA) involving groundwater contamination, as well as a related environmental insurance coverage action in state court.
- Provided a California county with strategic advice regarding environmental enforcement options against a recalcitrant polluter.
- Represented a former landowner in a federal environmental cost-recovery action under the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA) and Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) involving polychlorinated biphenyls (PCB) contamination of soil and groundwater.
- Provided a California city with advice concerning environmental insurance coverage, insurance archaeology and coverage litigation.
- Represented a chapter 7 trustee in the administration of chapter 7 bankruptcy proceedings.
- Represented clients in bankruptcy adversary proceedings involving allegations of preferences and fraudulent conveyances.
Areas of Practice
- Energy, Environment and Resources Law
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- University of California, Hastings College of the Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 2002
- University of California, Berkeley, M.S., Wildland Resource Science, 1998
- University of Michigan, B.S., Resource Ecology and Management, 1993
- Duane Morris LLP
- Partner, 2015-present
- Associate, 2010-2014
- Natron Resources, Inc.
- General Counsel and Board Member, 2008-2010
- Folger Levin & Kahn LLP
- Associate, 2002-2008
- Co-author, "California Governor Issues Drought Emergency Proclamation for 25-Percent Urban Water Conservation," Duane Morris Alert, April 3, 2015
- Co-Author, "California Enacts Comprehensive Groundwater Management Legislation," Duane Morris Alert, October 15, 2014
- Ansley, Jolie-Anne S. 1998. Temporal and spatial forest dynamics in an old-growth mixed conifer forest of the northern Sierra Nevada. M.S. Thesis, University of California, Berkeley.
- Ansley, Jolie-Anne S. and John J. Battles. 1998. Forest composition, structure, and change in an old-growth mixed conifer forest in the northern Sierra Nevada. Journal of the Torrey Botanical Society 125(4): 297-308.
- Ansley, Jolie-Anne S. and John J. Battles. 1997. Temporal and spatial dynamics in an old-growth mixed conifer forest in the Sierra Nevada. Bulletin of the Ecol. Soc. of Am. 78 Suppl.: 216.
Selected Speaking Engagements
- Moderator, "What's Shaking? A Conversation About Real Estate Finance, Mortgage Banking and Earthquakes!" California Mortgage Bankers Association, September 22, 2016