Jon Grouf practices in the area of corporate and commercial law, representing publicly and privately owned domestic and foreign clients in asset and stock acquisitions and sales, corporate governance, employment and shareholders agreements, joint ventures, partnerships, distribution and agency agreements.
Mr. Grouf's practice areas also include estate and trust planning and administration; income and transfer tax structuring for inbound and outbound investments; family succession; compliance, including voluntary disclosures; and pre-immigration and expatriation planning. Such work includes the representation of clients before federal and state tax authorities to resolve domestic and international tax controversies. He also advises clients in real estate acquisitions, leasing and tax-free exchange of office buildings, shopping centers and other real estate holdings.
Mr. Grouf's work has a strong international element, with a focus on U.S. and foreign, corporate, tax, trust and commercial law. His clients consist principally of high-net-worth individuals (domestic and non-U.S.) and financial institutions. He is a frequent lecturer and author of articles on these subjects.
Admitted to practice in New York and Florida, Mr. Grouf is a graduate of Harvard Law School and a graduate of New York University School of Law (LL.M., Taxation) and Yale University (B.A., cum laude).
Jon Grouf was chosen for inclusion in Legal Week's Private Client Global Elite 2018-2021, Legal Week's Top Private Client Ranking, Citywealth Leaders and Who's Who Legal Private Client Lawyers and he was named one of the World's 1,000 Leaders and Influencers in Legal Business. He served as Chair of the Legal Practice Division of the International Bar Association and is a member of the IBA's management board and the IBA Foundation.
Areas of Practice
- Corporate Law
- Tax Law
- Trusts and Estates
- Real Estate Law
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Tax Court
- New York University School of Law, LL.M., Taxation
- Harvard Law School, J.D.
- Yale University, B.A., cum laude
International Bar Association
- Immediate Past Chair, Legal Practice Division
- Management Board
- IBA Foundation
- Past Co-Chair, Mergers and Acquisitions Committee and North American Forum
- Florida Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- International Law Section
Honors and Awards
Legal Week's Private Client Global Elite, 2018-2021
- Who's Who Legal Private Client Lawyers, 2020
- Named one of the World's 1,000 Leaders and Influencers in Legal Business
- Named a Citywealth Leader
- Named to Legal Week's International Trusts and Private Client Elite
- AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®
- Member, IBA Management Board
- Trustee, IBA Foundation
- Co-author, "IRS Proposes New U.S. Tax Reporting by Foreign-Owned U.S. Limited Liability Companies," Duane Morris Alert, May 18, 2016
Selected Speaking Engagements
- Speaker, "U.S. Tax Compliance and Investment in U.S. Real Estate," STEP Conference, Santiago, Chile, September 2017
- Speaker, "The US Tax Man Commeth: Warning Lights for Asian Trustees," Singapore Trustees Association, Singapore, 2016
- Speaker, "Letters of Intent, Confidentiality Agreements and Other Pre-Contractual Agreements," IBA Annual Conference, Boston, 2013
- Speaker, "Foreign Trusts: Problems and Solutions for Trustees and U.S. Beneficiaries," STEP Singapore Seminar, Singapore, August 2013
- Speaker, "Negotiating and Terminating a Joint Venture," IBA Annual Conference, Dubai, 2011
- Speaker, "Issues in International Trust Taxation," New York State Bar Association's 7th Annual International Estate Planning Institute, New York City, March 2011
- Speaker, "Dealing with Messy Deaths," International Wealth Transfer Practices Conference, London, March 2011
- Session Chair, "Issues in International Trust Taxation," International Estate Planning Institute, March 2011
- Panelist, "Negotiating the Deal (MAC Clauses)," Latin American Regional Forum, Santiago, April 2010
- Speaker, "Estate and Income Taxation of Non-U.S. Persons" and "New Developments," New York State Bar Association's Fifth Annual International Estate Planning Institute, New York City, April 23, 2009