Joseph A. Ciucci practices in the areas of traditional labor law, employment litigation and employee relations matters. He has successfully defended discrimination, harassment and wrongful discharge actions in federal and state courts and before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and state agencies and obtained injunctions enforcing non-competition agreements on behalf of management clients.
Another aspect of Mr. Ciucci's practice is the representation of clients before the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) in Board investigations, unfair labor practice charges and trials, and compliance issues. He assists employers through union organizing attempts, representation hearings, strikes and picketing. He also represents clients in labor arbitrations and collective bargaining negotiations.
In addition, he regularly counsels clients on employment issues stemming from Title VII, the ADA, ADEA, FMLA, FLSA and WARN Act as well as on the implementation and documentation of employee policies. He is a member of the state bars of Georgia, Michigan and Pennsylvania. He also is a member of the American Bar Association and its Labor and Employment Law Section.
In 2009-2017, Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business included Mr. Ciucci in its listing of leading labor and employment lawyers in Georgia. In particular, Chambers notes his "detail-oriented approach” and his "excellent knowledge of labor law." Chambers also cites his “excellent representation of employers before the EEOC or the NLRB, and…his counsel on compliance matters.”
Mr. Ciucci is a 1993 graduate of the University of Detroit Mercy School of Law, where he was the Labor Law Symposium Editor for the Law Review, and a graduate, with departmental honors, of Alma College.
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- University of Detroit Mercy School of Law, J.D., 1993
- Alma College, B.A., 1990
- Duane Morris LLP
- Partner, 2005-present
- Constangy, Brooks & Smith LLC
- Partner, 2001-2005
- Associate, 1998-2001
- Clark Hill P.L.C.
- Associate, 1996-1997
- The Fishman Group
- Associate, 1995-1996
- Plunkett & Cooney, P.C. (Peacock Ingleson)
- Associate, 1993-1995
Honors and Awards
- Listed in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, 2009-2017
- Co-author, "Georgia Allows Most Businesses to Reopen to the Public: What Employers Need to Know," Duane Morris Alert, April 28, 2020
- Quoted in "Don't sign away your future: Noncompetes done right," PC World (Australia), April 24, 2009
- Co-author, "The Multinational Enterprise and the Third World: Assessing the Old and New Order," Third World in Perspective, Vol. 1 No. 3, p. 51 (1996).
- "Permissible Uses of Objecting Members' Agency Dues: Is the Solution Any Clearer after Lehnert v. Ferris Faculty Ass'n?" 70 Det. Mercy L. Rev. 89 (1992).
- Co-author, "Challenges of a New World Order for the United States: The Middle East Experience," present to and published by the 16th Annual Third World Conference Foundation, St. Louis, Missouri (1990).
Selected Speaking Engagements
- Speaker, "State Law Updates, Including COVID-19 Workplace Laws and Regulations," The New Reality of Workplace Law and Practice in the COVID-19 Era, Duane Morris LLP, Webinar, November 12, 2020
- Speaker, Georgia Association of Manufacturers (GAM) Annual Human Resources Meeting, 1998-Present
- Speaker, Duane Morris' Developments in Workplace Law and Practice 2015, San Francisco, California, May 21, 2015
- Featured in Aquarian Drumheads "Open Sky Studio" Restoring the Kings!
- Speaker, "2014 Developments in Workplace Law and Practice," Duane Morris Employment, Benefits and Immigration Practice Group, San Francisco, May 22, 2014
- Speaker, "2014 Developments in Workplace Law and Practice," Duane Morris Employment, Benefits and Immigration Practice Group, Silicon Valley, May 21, 2014