16 Collyer Quay #17-00
Leon Yee is the Chairman and the Managing Director of Duane Morris & Selvam. He serves as the Global Head of Corporate for Duane Morris & Selvam and leads the Banking & Finance and Energy Practice Groups. He is also Head of the Firm's China Practice Group. Mr. Yee has extensive corporate law expertise and regularly advises ultra-high net worth individuals, private equity funds, investment banks, listed and private companies on corporate finance, venture capital, capital markets, takeovers, cross-border mergers and acquisitions, corporate governance, corporate restructurings and joint ventures. He has also advised banks and project companies on complex financing transactions and has a particular focus on Korea, Indonesia and PRC related deals. In particular, he takes a keen interest in coaching and mentoring the boards of startup companies.
Mr. Yee is consistently recognized as a leading lawyer by The Legal 500, the International Financial Law Review 1000 and AsiaLaw in various categories such as Banking & Finance, Corporate and M&A and Corporate Governance. He was also included in Asia's Brightest Young Legal Minds – Top 40 Under 40 – Asia Legal Business 2015.
Mr. Yee serves as the Non-Executive Chairman of SGX-listed Pacific Star Development Limited and as an Independent Director of SGX-listed Federal International (2000) Ltd. He is the Chairman of the Nominating Committee as well as the Remuneration Committee for both public listed companies. He has deep industry knowledge of both the real estate and the oil & gas sectors and also has considerable experience in corporate governance.
He is a member of the Tan Kah Kee International Society and a Visiting Professor of Law at Jimei University, China. He is also the Honorary Legal Adviser to the Char Yong (Dabu) Clan Association. Mr. Yee also founded and chaired the Cambridge University Asian Lawyers Association.
Mr. Yee read Law at Christ's College, Cambridge University on a Cambridge Commonwealth Trust scholarship where he graduated with Honours.
He is an Advocate & Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Singapore and a Solicitor of England and Wales.
Duane Morris LLP is a law firm based in the United States founded in 1904. We use "Duane Morris" to refer to Duane Morris LLP, a Delaware limited liability partnership, and affiliated entities that practice under the name Duane Morris or a similar name. Reference to a "partner" means a person who is a partner, or person with the equivalent standing and qualifications thereto, in the Duane Morris entities.
In Singapore, Duane Morris Singapore LLP and Selvam LLC operate a Joint Law Venture serving clients throughout Asia, Duane Morris & Selvam LLP, pursuant to Licence 2/2010 granted by the Attorney General of Singapore. Selvam LLC lawyers may provide services to clients of Duane Morris & Selvam under secondment from Selvam LLC pursuant to Licence 2/2010.
To the extent that the representative matters listed above fall outside the context of “permitted areas of legal practice” within the meaning of Section 36A of the Legal Profession Act (Chap. 161), they have been conducted by the above named lawyer in his/her capacity as an Advocate & Solicitor of Selvam LLC, a Singapore law practice of the Joint Law Venture.
- Advised Morgan Stanley as financial adviser to OUB on the competing $5 billion bids by UOB and DBS as part of the consolidation of the Singapore banking market.
- Advised Asian Development Bank as senior lender in connection with the US$268 million equivalent Tala-Delhi Transmission project in India, the first private-public partnership in the transmission sector in India
- Advised Pan Asia Paper Co. Ltd. on its US$330 million joint venture relating to a greenfield newsprint mill in Hebei, PRC and advised Hebei PanAsia Long-Teng Paper Co. Ltd. on the subsequent US$215 million project financing – Project Finance Magazine’s Asia-Pacific Industrial Deal of the Year, 2003
- Advised a Japanese sponsor and supplier on its support, offtake and supply obligations owing to defaults of a chemicals company under project-financed bank facilities in Indonesia
- Advised Citicorp North America, Inc., in relation to the second lien syndicated financing facility to the Quintiles group of pharmaceutical companies
- Advised a trade creditor in relation to claims exceeding US$500 million against the Asia Pulp and Paper Group and the Asia Food and Properties Group
- Advised Creative Technology Ltd in relation to a S$150 million syndicated loan facility arranged by ABN-Amro Bank
- Advised RHB Bank in relation to the acquisition financing of an Indonesian Production Sharing Contract for US$150 million by a regional leading investment firm
- Advised a leading Japanese bank in relation to its US$100 million financing to a listed Singapore REIT
- Advised RHB Bank on numerous vessel financing transactions
- Advised a number of leading Korean banks on their regulatory issues
- Advised Goodpack Limited in relation to its renounceable non-underwritten rights issue of up to 93,473518 warrants in the capital of the company
- Advised British and Malayan Trustees Ltd, as the trustee for Allco REIT in relation to the initial public offering on the SGX of 321,255,000 units in Allco REIT, sponsored by the Allco Finance Group Limited of Australia.
- Advised Keppel Land Limited, as the sponsor for K-REIT Asia in the issue of up to S$440.1 million in K-REIT Asia units listed by way of an introduction on SGX
- Advised Swissco International Limited in relation to its initial public offering of 45,000,000 ordinary shares of S$0.08 each
- Advised Phillip Securities Pte Ltd as underwriter in relation to the renounceable rights issue of 112,525,470 new ordinary shares of S$0.10 each in the capital of Tiong Woon Corporation Holding Ltd
- Advised Vibropower Corporation Limited in relation to its bonus warrant issue of 29,047,557 bonus warrants on the basis of three (3) bonus warrants for every ten (10) existing ordinary shares held
- Advised Amtek Engineering Ltd on the private placement of 6,000,000 new ordinary shares at a price of $1.18 for each new share
- Advised the selling shareholders on the £125 million disposal of Prebon Group to Collins Stewart Tullett
- Advised ABN AMRO Rothschild (AAR) as Global Co-ordinator and AAR, Goldman Sachs and ING Bank as joint bookrunners on the US$3 billion IPO of leading Malaysian telecommunications company, Maxis Communications
- Advised DBS on the proposed secondary listing of Singapore Depository Receipts of Varun Shipping Co Ltd (a company listed on the Mumbai Stock Exchange) on the Singapore Stock Exchange
- Advised Kenetics Innovations on its listing on the Alternative Investment Market (AIM)
- Advised Creative Technology on its voluntary delisting of its shares from the NASDAQ Global Market (NASDAQ)
- Advised Otto Marine Limited on its S$95.0 million share placement
- Advised Otto Marine Limited on its S$119 million fully-underwritten renounceable rights issue
- Advised Otto Marine Limited on its IPO on the Singapore Stock Exchange which raised net proceeds of S$97.7 million
- Advised on the Singapore law aspects on a relisting of a China company on the Shenzhen Stock Exchange that delisted from NASDAQ
- Advised on the Singapore law aspects on a listing of a China company on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange
- Advised SEB Private Bank SA on regulatory issues concerning the setting up of its private banking business, internet banking, offering of investment funds over the Internet, anti-money laundering and anti-terrorism financing compliance
- Advised Powermatic Data Systems Ltd, a company listed on SGX-ST, in relation to the sale-and-leaseback of its property at 135 Joo Seng Road to MacarthurCook Industrial Real Estate Investment Trust
- Advised Hersing Corporation Ltd, a company listed on SGX-ST, in relation to its proposed joint venture with a global real estate investment fund for the divestment and expansion of its self-storage business
- Advised SMB United Limited, a company listed on SGX-ST, in relation to the implementation of its Performance Share Plan and Share Buy-back Mandate
- Advised Nucleus Electronics Ltd in relation to the issue of up to S$12 million of unsecured non-interest bearing convertible notes due 2007 to Quantum Capital Asset Management Limited
- Represented DBS with respect to the initial listing of units issued by ABF Singapore Bond Index Fund on the Singapore Stock Exchange, which raised over S$456 million at the close of its initial public offer
- Advised Otto Marine in relation its establishment of a SGD 500 million (USD 364.6 million) multicurrency term note ("MTN") programme with arranger Standard Chartered Bank
- Advised Otto Marine on its amendment of certain financial covenants in connection with Series 2 of its MTN programme
- Advised Dymon Asia Private Equity in its S$15.0 million investment in Goodrich Global Holdings Pte Ltd, a Singaporean interior furnishings firm
- Advised Dymon Asia Private Equity in its S$15.0 million investment and approximately 30 percent ownership stake in HSL Constructor Pte Ltd., a leading Singapore marine civil engineering and construction firm
- Advised Dymon Asia Private Equity in its acquisition of a majority stake in Atlas Vending, which is now the largest independent vending machine owner and operator in the Asia Pacific region
- Advised a US$200 million Cayman Private Equity Fund on the disposal of its US$60 million interests in the Alibaba Group
- Advised on the formation of a US$150 million Cayman Private Equity Fund
- Advised an offeror in relation to the acquisition of a Singapore listed retailer with regional offices with a market capitalisation of S$150 million
- Advised a leading regional investment firm on the acquisition of a majority interest in an Indonesian Production Sharing Contract from a listed oil and gas exploration company with a structure that includes sliding-scale future contingent payments based on certification of oil and gas reserves, a partial carry of exploration wells owned by the vendor and a cash payment upon declaration of the first new exploration discovery
- Advised a sovereign wealth fund to acquire a Korean construction company for 200 billion Korean won
- Advised Federal International in relation to its US$30 million disposal of a Floating Storage Offloading ("FSO") Vessel to a leading Indonesia investment group
- Advised Federal International on the charter contract awarded by CNOOC to supply a Floating Storage Offloading ("FSO") vessel for a period of five years and renewable for a further period of five years, for operation at the Widuri Terminal, Indonesia
Banking and Finance
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Past member of the Singapore Law Society Committee for Mergers & Acquisitions and Insolvency, Corporate Commercial Matters and Listing Matters
- Member of the Singapore Institute of Directors
- England and Wales
- University of Cambridge, B.A. (Hons) Law
- University of Cambridge, M.A.
- Duane Morris & Selvam LLP/ Selvam LLC
- Herbert Smith
Honors and Awards
- Consistently recommended in The Legal 500, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific, the International Financial Law Review 1000 and AsiaLaw in various categories such as Banking and Finance, Corporate and M&A and Corporate Governance over the years
- "...LeonYee has strong corporate experience." The Legal 500, 2013
- "...Leon Yee demonstrates 'tireless effort'." The Legal 500, 2013
- "...Banking & Finance Practice Head Leon Yee is recommended." The Legal 500, 2012
- "...Leon Yee handles complex capital markets transactions." The Legal 500, 2012
- "...Leon Yee's 'sharp business acumen and collaborative approach'..." The Legal 500, 2010/2011
- Quoted in, "Bankruptcy Filing Will Give Ezra Room to Restructure," The Straits Times, March 20, 2017
- Featured in, "PACIFIC STAR DEVELOPMENT: Targeting ASEAN Real Estate Markets," Next Insight, February 19, 2017
- Featured in "HKEX mulls over plan for dual-class shares again," The Straits Times, January 20, 2017
- Featured in "Shanghai boosts IP efforts," China Daily, April 22, 2015
- Co-author of "The Code of Corporate Governance" chapter in Woon's Corporations Law
- Singapore contributor for "Getting the Deal Through – Corporate Governance"