Lewis R. Olshin practices in the areas of insurance coverage, general liability insurance coverage and directors and officers liability insurance coverage. He focuses on commercial litigation, including fiduciary litigation, lender liability litigation, employment litigation relating to the enforcement of covenants not to compete, insurance coverage litigation and insurance regulatory matters.
Mr. Olshin has been counsel to insurers and rating organizations and has provided advice on amendments to rating plans and policy forms. He represents his clients in state and federal courts, including bankruptcy courts, and regulatory proceedings. In addition to handling coverage issues, he has also represented insurers in class actions. He also represents the interests of directors and officers both in the context of a merger, as well as in disputes involving the applicability of directors and officers liability insurance.
Mr. Olshin serves as firm counsel to the Private Client Services Practice Group, providing advice concerning professional responsibility matters. In addition to acting as firm counsel, he also represents corporate and individual trustees in surcharge litigation in matters relating to investment of trust assets and trust administration. He also advises members of our Wealth Planning practice in fiduciary litigation matters.
A former judicial clerk to former Chief Justice Benjamin R. Jones of the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania, Mr. Olshin is a member of the Pennsylvania and Philadelphia bar associations, the Association of Defense Counsel and the Defense Research Institute. He is a 1975 graduate of Temple University School of Law, where he was the managing editor of Temple Law Quarterly.
Obtained on behalf of an insurance company a summary judgment ruling in the United States District Court in San Diego in a matter concerning Special Fund assessments under the Longshore Act.
Represented a client in a series of cases where the allegations have involved RICO, antitrust and fraud claims.
He has represented the interests of directors and officers both in the context of mergers, as well as in disputes involving the applicability of directors and officers liability insurance.
He has defended financial institutions in lender liability matters and in cases brought on behalf of the institutions to preserve or recover collateral.
He has represented clients in the insurance and healthcare industries in regulatory matters before the Pennsylvania Insurance Department and Pennsylvania Department of Public Welfare. These matters have involved challenges to the Act 6 Amendments to the Motor Vehicle Financial Responsibility Act and the Department of Public Welfare's Health Choices Program.
Representing the healthcare industry in successfully challenging the Constitutionality of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania appropriations act.
Represented beneficiaries in disputes against trustees for mismanagement of assets.
Represented 501(c3) nonprofits before the Orphans Court.
Represented clients in will contests.
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Court of Military Appeals
- Supreme Court of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
- Temple University School of Law, J.D., 1975
- Duane Morris LLP
- Partner in Charge, Malvern Office, 1997-2002
- Partner, 1986-present
- Associate, 1981-1986
- U.S. Marine Corps, 2nd Marine Division, Camp Lejeune, North Carolina
- Staff Prosecutor, 1979-1980
- Review Officer, Assistant Chief Review Officer, Chief Review Officer, 1978-1979
- Defense Counsel, 1977-1978; 1980-February 1981
- Supreme Court of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
- Judicial Clerk, Chief Justice Benjamin R. Jones, 1975-1976
- American Bar Association
- Business Law Section
- Tort and Insurance Practice Section
- Section of Litigation
- Forum on the Construction Industry
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Corporation, Banking and Business Law Section
- Civil Litigation Section
- Philadelphia Bar Association
- Federal Courts Committee
- State Civil Procedures Committee
- Association of Defense Counsel
- Defense Research Institute
Honors and Awards
- AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®
- Supervising editor, "Commerce Case Management Program Decisions: Injunctions," Philadelphia Commerce Court Opinion Project, 2008
- Case Note, "Hathaway v. Worcester Hospital," 47 TEMP. L.Q. 403 (1974)
- Co-Author, "Pennsylvania Supreme Court Review," 47 TEMP. L.Q. 512 (1974)
Selected Speaking Engagements
- Speaker, "Sports Insurance Hot Topics," OGC CLE: Sports Insurance Hot Topics, February 18, 2016
- Lecturer, "Directors and Liability Insurance," Rutgers University, 2007-2008
- Speaker, Pennsylvania Bar Institute Corporate Governance Program on Directors and Liability Insurance, 2004-2005
- Speaker, "General Liability Issues," presentation given to claims adjusters, risk assessors and underwriters at PMA Insurance Company as part of a three-day in-house seminar organized by PMA staff, October 6, 1994
- "Duties Owed by Primary Carriers to Excess Carriers in Handling Claims, 'Bad Faith' Issues and Extra Contractual Liability," General Adjustment Bureau Conference Committee, March 1987