Louise S. Melchor practices in the areas of commercial finance and creditors' rights . She represents national and regional banks, and non-bank lenders, in all stages of financing, including loan documentation, workouts and loan restructuring, and asset recovery and related litigation.
Prior to practicing law, Ms. Melchor worked in consulting, and brings this business oriented and project management skill set to her matters.
Ms. Melchor is a 2006 graduate of Temple University Beasley School of Law, where she was a member of the Environmental Law Moot Court team, which received the award for Best Brief at the national Pace University Environmental Moot Court competition. Ms. Melchor is also a graduate of the University of Pennsylvania (B.A.) and Drexel University (M.S.).
Areas of Practice
- Commercial Real Estate Financing Transactions
- Commercial Finance
- Creditors' Rights
Represented BankUnited, N.A., a national banking association, as lead counsel in a $40 million commercial real estate loan transaction for the acquisition of a 6-building, multi-tenant, light industrial park located in Arizona.
Represented Stifel Bank & Trust, an independent investment bank, as lead counsel in a $25 million commercial real estate loan transaction for the refinancing of the acquisition of a warehouse facility in New Jersey.
Represented BankUnited, N.A. in a $20 million commercial mortgage loan transaction secured by a 13-story office building located in Queens, New York, owned by Federal Realty Limited Partnership, an affiliate in the LeFrak organization.
Represented BankUnited, N.A. in a $19 million commercial mortgage loan transaction secured by commercial/residential mixed use property located in New York City.
Represented lender in a $59.6 million commercial mortgage loan financing for the acquisition of a leasehold interest in a Class A multi-tenant office building located in Fort Washington, Pennsylvania.
Represented a major bank in a $16.8 million commercial mortgage loan transaction secured by an office building located in Connecticut.
Represented BankUnited, N.A. in a commercial mortgage loan transaction secured by a retail strip mall located in New York.
Represented a major bank as Agent and Lender in a syndicated revolving credit facility financing secured by student housing property in California.
Represented national bank as participant lender in $415 million syndicated construction loan, secured by leasehold mortgage in New York City.
- Represented national bank in participations in syndicated loans secured by commercial real estate, including portfolio of seven hotels, retail center in NYC, and 1.5MM SF office building in Boston’s financial district.
- Counsel to KeyBank National Association as Administrative Agent, Collateral Agent, and Lead Arranger in an $85 million syndicated lending facility to one of the mid-Atlantic's largest contracting and construction companies and its affiliates, involving a 33-property portfolio, including quarries and related mineral rights issues, across PA, NJ, DE and MD.
Represented a wireless communications company in connection with a $67.5 million secured term loan and revolving credit facility provided by a major bank.
Represented Provident Bank in a revolving credit facility financing to a biopharmaceutical product manufacturer, secured by business assets including intellectual property.
Represented Provident Bank in a term loan and revolving credit facility financing to a network of radio stations, secured by business assets.
Represented an independent franchise lending and equipment financing company in numerous franchise finance transactions.
Represented franchise lending and equipment financing affiliate of national bank in credit facility to fitness studio franchisee.
Represented equipment finance lender in $3.2 million line of credit provided to manufacturer of liquid storage tanks and other steel manufactured products.
Counsel to The Northern Trust Company in subscription credit facility transactions.
Represented national bank in participations in numerous syndicated subscription credit facilities.
Represented private equity sponsor in obtaining $30 million in NAV financing for its flagship investment fund focused on investments in senior housing.
Represented BankUnited, N.A. in a term loan refinancing secured by the collateral assignment of a portfolio of CRE loans.
Represented major bank in a line of credit financing to a law firm.
Led a team of attorneys in development of loan document forms for use in the Federal Reserve’s Main Street Lending Program, and in closing numerous Main Street New Loan Facilities and Priority Loan Facilities.
Represented BankUnited, N.A. as agent and lender in an $87 million syndicated loan transaction, to refinance senior secured debt of the owners and operators of five skilled nursing facilities located in Pennsylvania and New Jersey, and related revolving loan facility for working capital.
- Counsel to lender providing debtor-in-possession financing in the chapter 11 bankruptcy reorganization of a large regional construction company.
- Counsel to lender in connection with workout of $10MM loan facilities secured by preferred ship mortgages against fishing vessels.
- Counsel to lender in connection with workout of $14MM construction loan secured by gas production plant, involving mechanics lien claims.
- Counsel to state-chartered bank in defense of claims by real estate investor/ developer, including breach of good faith and fair dealing, fraudulent misrepresentation, and violations of the New Jersey Consumer Fraud Act, resulting in settlement satisfactory to client.
- Counsel to national bank in foreclosure litigation matters where borrowers asserted defenses, including fraud and duress in connection with the underlying loan; won motions striking defenses, allowing the foreclosures to proceed as uncontested matters.
- Counsel to lender in bankruptcy litigation on issue of non-dischargeability of debt due to borrower fraud and misrepresentation in the loan transaction, resulting in dismissal of case.
- Counsel to lenders in numerous confessed judgment actions in Pennsylvania, including defense of motions to strike/open judgments.
- Counsel to lenders in numerous commercial mortgage foreclosure actions, including review of title work, subsequent workouts or Sheriff sales, defense of motions to postpone sheriff sales, and petitions to fix fair market values post-sale.
- Counsel to lender in foreclosure matter where defendant became incapacitated during proceedings — obtained court appointed guardian ad litem to allow matter to proceed.
- Counsel to lender in receivership proceeding related to foreclosure action -obtained court order providing for turnover of rents pending sheriff sale of property, following evidentiary hearing.
- Counsel to lenders in quiet title actions to obtain reinstatement of erroneously discharged mortgages, and reformation of mortgages due to incomplete legal descriptions.
- Counsel to mortgage loan servicer in Federal Court action where plaintiff alleged violations of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) and the Unfair Trade Practices and Consumer Protection Law (UTPCPL)- obtained order dismissing all claims against client.
- Counsel to lender in mediation and global settlement of foreclosure actions involving multiple mortgaged properties in PA and NJ, and title claim dispute- obtained resolution satisfactory to client.
- Counsel to loan investor in litigation to recover collateral — obtained summary judgment, based on defendants' discovery admissions and responses to interrogatories, in a contested foreclosure action where the defendants asserted numerous affirmative defenses including an allegation of lack of standing in connection with the assignment of the loan.
Commercial Real Estate Finance
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- University of California, Berkeley, School of Law, Executive Education - Certificate in Sustainable Capitalism and ESG, 2021
- New York University, Stern School of Business FinTech Certificate, 2019
- Temple University Beasley School of Law, J.D., 2006
- Pace University National Environmental Law Moot Court Competition, Recipient of David Sive Award for Best Brief Overall
- Dean's List
- Recipient of Law Faculty Scholarship
- Drexel University, M.S., 1995
- University of Pennsylvania, B.A., 1993
- Duane Morris LLP
- Special Counsel, 2021-present
- Associate, 2011-2021
- Deeb Petrakis Blum & Murphy, P.C.
- Associate, 2006-2011
- CH2M Hill
- Project Manager/Environmental Engineer, 1999-2005
- New Castle County, DE
- Environmental Engineer, 1995-1998
- American Bar Association
- Business Law Section
-- Uniform Commercial Code Committee Member
- Commercial Real Estate Finance Council
- Sustainability Initiative Member
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Quality of Life / Balance Committee
- Commission on Women in the Profession, Member
- National Association of Women Lawyers
- Financial Services Affinity Group Member
- Philadelphia Bar Association
- Business Law Section
-- Banking and Financial Services Committee Member
- Licensed Professional Engineer, District of Columbia
Civic and Charitable Activities
- Strive for College mentor
- Pro bono attorney, Senior Law Center
- Volunteer at Bartram's Garden Community Boathouse
- Contributor, Duane Morris Banking Law Blog
- Co-author, "Fund Finance: How to Mitigate Risk and Facilitate Financing," Duane Morris LLP, December 30, 2021
- Co-author, "City of Philadelphia Requests Proposals to Implement Online Auction for Sale and Assignment of Delinquent Real Estate Tax Liens," Duane Morris Alert, May 6, 2015
- Author, "Pennsylvania Mechanics' Lien Law Amended, Clarifying Open-End Construction Loan Mortgage Priority," Duane Morris Alert, July 15, 2014
- Co-author, "Revised Common Level Ratio for Philadelphia May Entitle Certain Taxpayers to a Refund," Duane Morris Alert, February 20, 2013