Mackenzie M. Wrobel practices in the area of corporate and commercial litigation. Prior to joining Duane Morris, Ms. Wrobel served as Associate Legal Counsel to Delaware Governor Jack A. Markell. As Associate Legal Counsel, Ms. Wrobel advised Governor Markell and the Governor’s Cabinet on issues ranging from contract development to state and federal constitutional issues. Ms. Wrobel also assisted with the development of public policy.
Prior to that position, Ms. Wrobel served as the Judicial Law Clerk to the Honorable Justice Randy J. Holland of the Supreme Court of the State of Delaware and as the Judicial Law Clerk to the Honorable Andrea L. Rocanelli of the Superior Court of the State of Delaware. During her two clerkships Ms. Wrobel researched and advised on a variety of civil and criminal litigation issues at the trial stage, and complex commercial and corporate matters at the appellate stage in the highest court in the State of Delaware.
Ms. Wrobel is a graduate of Widener University School of Law. While in law school, Ms. Wrobel served as the Bluebook Editor of the Widener Law Review and a Certified Legal Intern at the Pennsylvania Criminal Defense Law Clinic. Ms. Wrobel also completed a judicial internship with the Honorable Michael J. Haas of the Appellate Division of the Superior Court of the State of New Jersey. Ms. Wrobel is a cum laude graduate of Millersville University where she served as an appointed member of the Board of Governors for Pennsylvania’s State System of Higher Education.
- Submitted an amicus curiae brief pro bono to the Supreme Court of the United States on behalf of the Conference of Chief Justices, representing chief justices of the courts of last resort in all 50 states; the brief argued that Delaware should be afforded considerable deference in deciding how to select justices of its courts, in a case concerning whether the state's constitutional requirement, that no more than a “bare majority” of three justices be from one major political party, violates the First Amendment.
- Obtained a defense verdict after trial in the Court of Chancery for the State of Delaware denying a shareholder’s books and records demand for the production of documents beyond the scope of the proper purpose in RP Equity Investments, LLC v. Roasting Plant, Inc., C.A. No. 2018-0021-SG.
- Successfully represented a limited partnership real estate firm specializing in corporate sale-leasebacks and the general partner in a contested dissolution and litigation concerning the limited partnership’s book and tax capital accounts. JHJ Limited Partnership v. United Trust Fund Limited Partnership, C.A. No. 2017-0273-JRS.
- Obtained a defense verdict after trial in the Court of Chancery for the State of Delaware denying a shareholder’s books and records demand for lack of proper purpose in Stein v. The Bancorp, Inc., C.A. No. 2017-0071-JRS.
Won motions to dismiss an original and an amended complaint in the Complex Commercial Litigation Division of the Superior Court of the State of Delaware in an action in which the plaintiff alleged a multimillion-dollar common law claim related to its business account.
- Obtained a favorable multimillion-dollar jury verdict for an environmental, energy, and industrial services provider in the Complex Commercial Litigation Division of the Superior Court of the State of Delaware in an action for the breach of an indemnification provision of a contract. Clean Harbors, Inc. v. Union Pacific Corp., C.A. No. N15C-07-081 MMJ CCLD.
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the District of Delaware
- Widener University School of Law, J.D., 2014
- Bluebook Editor, Widener Law Review
- Millersville University, B.S., cum laude, 2010
- Duane Morris LLP
- Associate, 2017-present
- Office of Governor Jack A. Markell
- Associate Counsel, 2016-2017
- Supreme Court of Delaware
- Law Clerk to the Hon. Justice Randy J. Holland, 2015-2016
- Superior Court of Delaware
- Law Clerk to the Hon. Andrea L. Rocanelli, 2014-2015
- American Bar Association
- Delaware State Bar Association
- Richard S. Rodney Inn of Court
- Executive Board, 2020-present
- Delaware Joint Inns Committee
- Chair, 2020-present
Honors and Awards
- Named to Best Lawyers "Ones to Watch," 2021
- Listed in Delaware Super Lawyers Rising Stars, 2021
- Delaware Board of Bar Examiners
- Associate Board Member, 2017-present
- Author, "Chancery Enforces Rule 15(aaa) in Its Fight Against Serial Amendments to Pleadings," Delaware Business Court Insider, April 7, 2021
- Author, "Chancery Decision in 'Highway to Health' Puts Specific Jurisdiction in Spotlight," Delaware Business Court Insider, May 13, 2020
Author, "Chancery Forecloses Reliance on Technical Truths, Delayed Disclosures as Defenses to Disclosure-Related Breach of Fiduciary Duty Claims," Delaware Business Court Insider, July 31, 2019
Co-author, "You Better Answer Me! What to do When Facing a Partial Motion to Dismiss," Duane Morris Delaware Business Law Blog, July 18, 2018
Co-author, "Delaware’s War Against the 'Boilerplate [Objection] Plague' Goes National," Duane Morris Delaware Business Law Blog, June 15, 2018
Co-author, "Does Delaware law support reverse veil-piercing? The Fourth Circuit says: YES!," Duane Morris Delaware Business Law Blog, June 8, 2018
Selected Speaking Engagements
- Co-host, "The Ethics of Empathetic Lawyering," Widener University Delaware Law School, Webinar, February 2, 2021
Speaker, “Legal Issues Involving Local Governments,” National Business Institute, December 11, 2018
Panelist, “Why Delaware? Here’s Why: Exploring Delaware’s Preeminent Legal Landscape,” Bryn Mawr Trust Co., Seminar Series, March 2, 2017