Matt Yungwirth serves as a team lead of the firm’s Technology, Media & Telecom industry group and the co-Chairperson of the firm’s Partners Technology Committee. He practices in the areas of intellectual property litigation with an emphasis on patents, trade secrets and trademarks. Over the last 18 years, Mr. Yungwirth has represented clients in a diverse range of litigation and licensing matters related to technologies such as wireless LAN systems, cellular networks, power over Ethernet, digital watermarking, VoIP, intelligent I/Os, digital signal processing, digital cable set-top receivers, bank networking and encryption schemes, metallurgical casting methods, adhesives and composite films. His client base is similarly diverse and includes clients ranging Fortune 100 companies to growth stage start-ups.
Mr. Yungwirth is a 2000 cum laude graduate of the University of Georgia School of Law, where he served as the managing editor of the Journal of Intellectual Property Law, and a graduate of the Georgia Institute of Technology (B.S., Engineering).
- Represented numerous networking infrastructure clients in dozens of patent litigations involving wireless standards (e.g., 802.11, 3GPP, Zigbee) that resulted in dismissals of the plaintiffs’ claims (at the district court or following appeals) and/or settlements advantageous to Matt’s clients
- Represented Fortune 100 computer networking company in numerous patent litigation matters related matters related to (i) Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) technology that resulted in an agreed dismissal with prejudice, (ii) Internet protocol and security technology that resulted in an award to the client of fees and expenses; and (iii) series of lawsuits related to wireless LAN technology.
- Represented three major mobile network operators (MNOs) in numerous patent litigation matters related to (i) multi-access network topologies, (ii) UMA networks, (iii) electronic billing systems, and (iv) Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) technology.
- Represented a digital watermarking company in patent litigation matter that resulted in the plaintiff voluntarily dismissing its claims.
- Represented houseware manufacturer in defense of trade dress and trademark infringement claims that were resolved through successful summary judgment on behalf of client.
- Represented Internet security provider in patent litigation matter involving distributed security service management that resulted in settlement that the client found advantageous.
- Represented Fortune 500 hotel company in defense of numerous patent infringement matters including one that was dismissed without any payment by the client.
- Represented a major Wisconsin paper and packaging company in a patent infringement matter that resulted in the company's competitor being enjoined from sales of infringing packaging products.
- Represented a healthcare products distributor in the successful pursuit of multiple claims for false advertising, theft of trade secrets and trademark infringement.
- Represented Fortune 500 document management company in successful pursuit of injunction against a distributor of gray market goods.
- Represented start-up metallurgical casting company in successful pursuit of theft of trade secret and breach of contract claims.
- Represented leading manufacturer of kamado-style grills in enforcement of patent portfolio.
- Represent multiple privately held healthcare companies with respect to trademark portfolio management, defense of trademark infringement claims and trademark enforcement.
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- Court of Appeals of Georgia
- Supreme Court of Georgia
- University of Georgia School of Law, J.D., cum laude
- Georgia Institute of Technology, B.S., Engineering, Co-op Distinction
- Duane Morris LLP
- Partner, 2009-present
- Associate, 2002-2008
- Kilpatrick Stockton, LLP, Atlanta, Georgia
- Associate, 2000-2002
- Georgia Institute of Technology
- Visiting Professor of Public Policy, Legal Profession curriculum
- State Bar of Georgia
- Intellectual Property Law Section
- Atlanta Bar Association,
- Intellectual Property Law Section
- Republican National Lawyers Association
Honors and Awards
Listed as an "IP Star" in Managing Intellectual Property's IP Stars, 2018-2019
- Recognized by Law & Politics and Atlanta Magazine as a Georgia Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2005, 2006, and 2009-2013
- Co-recipient of Managing Intellectual Property's 2014 Patent Firm of the Year for the South Region
- Co-recipient of Cisco's 2011 Litigation Law Firm of the Year Award
5.0/5.0 Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®
Civic and Charitable Activities
- Volunteer lawyer for The Veterans Consortium Pro Bono Program
- Habitat for Humanity - "Buildable Hours" Team Leader
Co-author, "Zombie Companies: When Businesses Die, Their Patents Live On," Daily Report, August 11, 2015
- Co-author, "Section 1404(A) Motions To Transfer: Strategic Considerations After TS Tech, Genentech, and Other Recent Decisions," 15th Annual Intellectual Property Law Institute, November 11-15, 2009
- Co-author, Conservation Subdivisions: Ecological, Landscape, Construction and Legal Applications to Cherokee County, Georgia; published by University of Georgia, Institute of Ecology, Office of Public Service and Outreach, Spring 1999
- "Supreme Court Rules that 35 U.S.C. § 271(f)(1) Does Not Apply to Software Copied and Installed on Computers Abroad," Duane Morris Federal Circuit Alert, May 1, 2007
Selected Speaking Engagements
- "Is the Smallest Saleable Unit the Right Size?" IP Defense Strategy Summit, Silicon Valley, June 18, 2015
- "Section 1404(A) Motions To Transfer: Strategic Considerations After TS Tech, Genentech, and Other Recent Decisions, " 15th Annual Intellectual Property Law Institute, November 11-15, 2009