Michael A. Cabin represents clients from individuals to Fortune 500 companies in all stages of complex civil disputes, from pre-suit negotiation through trial and appeal. Mr. Cabin’s experience spans a wide range of industries and matters, with particular depth in financial services, including securities and deal litigation, shareholder class actions and derivative disputes, and regulatory matters; media, representing media conglomerates, magazine and textbook publishers, film studios and television companies in defamation lawsuits, contract disputes, and intellectual-property litigation; insurance, representing both insurers and claimants in coverage disputes regarding a host of subject matters; and employment matters in a range of industries, including trade-secret disputes and restrictive-covenant litigation.
Mr. Cabin has prevailed at trial and in dispositive motion practice in state and federal trial courts, and has successfully prosecuted appeals in state and federal appellate courts. He has arbitrated disputes in a variety of forums.
Prior to entering the practice of law, Mr. Cabin served as law clerk to the Hon. John M. Walker, Jr. of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit and to the Hon. Alvin K. Hellerstein of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York.
Mr. Cabin is a 2009 graduate of Columbia University School of Law, where he was a James Kent and Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar as well as a notes editor of the Columbia Law Review, and a cum laude graduate of the University of Rochester.
Areas of Practice
- Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Intellectual Property and Media Law
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- Columbia Law School, J.D., 2009
- Editor, Columbia Law Review
- Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar
- James Kent Scholar
- University of Rochester, B.A., cum laude, 2006
- Duane Morris LLP
- Partner, 2020-present
- Satterlee Stephens LLP
- Partner, 2018-2020
- Associate, 2015-2017
- Cravath, Swaine & Moore LLP
- Associate, 2011-2014
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- Law Clerk to the Hon. John M. Walker, Jr., 2010-2011
- U.S. District Court for the District of New York
- Law Clerk to the Hon. Alvin K. Hellerstein, 2009-2010
- American Bar Association
- Federal Bar Council
- Second Circuit Courts Committee
Honors and Awards
- Listed in Super Lawyers New York Metro Rising Stars, 2018-2021
- Co-author, "Court Rules Telephonic Annual Meeting Appropriate During COVID-19 Pandemic Under New York Not-for-Profit Corporation Law," Duane Morris Alert, September 18, 2020
Selected Speaking Engagements
- Presenter, "Mitigating Securities Litigation Risks in the COVID Era: Understanding the Latest Regulatory Guidance and Trends in Shareholder Class Actions, SEC Enforcement Proceedings," Duane Morris COVID-19: Navigating Forward Webinar Series, May 12, 2021