Michael A. Witt is a partner in the Chicago office of Duane Morris, a member of the Corporate and Finance practice groups and serves as a team lead of the Banking and Finance industry group. Mr. Witt has extensive experience representing banks, lending institutions and borrowers in various financing transactions. He also has extensive experience representing business entities, private equity firms and individuals in various business transactions, including the buying and selling of companies and acquisition financing arrangements.
- Represented The PrivateBank and Trust Company in over 50 separate secured healthcare financing transactions located in 15 states over the past several years.
- Represented Ares Management LLC on nursing home acquisition financings.
- Represented First Midwest Bank on an assisted living facility refinancing.
- Represented Popular Community Bank on various acquisition loan transactions.
- Represented Wintrust Commercial on real estate loan transactions.
- Represented Lake Forest Bank & Trust Company on various financing arrangements, including loans to fund managers and loans to not-for-profit entities.
- Represented First Insurance Funding Corp. on various insurance premium financings.
- Represented Wells Fargo on three separate loan facilities to manufacturing entities.
- Represented JPMorgan Chase Bank on syndicated loan facilities.
- Represented Fifth Third Bank on acquisition financing transactions.
- Represented a physician practice group on a capital expenditure and SBA loan.
- Represented several privately held companies as borrowers counsel on various loan transactions.
- Represented Partytime Productions, Inc. (PTP) in the acquisition of certain assets of its largest rival in the Middle West, HDO Productions, L.P. Assisted PTP in connection with a multi-tranche Small Business Association-guaranteed loan provided by Ridgestone Bank.
- Represented Dade Behring Inc. in connection with an approximately $500 million lease-receivables transaction with GE Capital.
- Represented GI Energy on various corporate and restructuring matters.
- Represented Cision North America on acquisition and corporate matters.
- Represented a private equity firm in connection with the purchase of the stock of a manufacturing business for a purchase price of approximately $25 million.
- Represented the issuer in a $160 million Rule 144A senior note offering.
- Represented a consortium of buyers in connection with a purchase of various wholesale floral companies throughout the United States and Canada.
- Represented a high-tech startup company in its series of capital raises and a licensing arrangement with a Fortune 500 company and a private equity fund in its purchase of convertible preferred stock in a high tech company.
- Represented an individual in connection with his purchase of an import business.
- Represented Quotesmith.com in connection with its purchase of Life Quotes Inc.
- Worked as a member of the team of lawyers representing BT Commercial Corp. in its debtor-in-possession financings to Levitz Furniture and Venture Stores.
- Worked as a member of the team of lawyers on the multibillion-dollar ComEd/PECO Energy and Nevada Power/Sierra Pacific Resources mergers.
- Represented a foreign private issuer on a $100-million securities offering.
- Represented a seller of a $15 million family-owned business in the state of Montana.
- Represented a private equity fund on a $200-million purchase of a financial industry company.
- Represented a family-owned business in the restructuring of its corporate operations.
- Represented a public company in establishing form purchase-and-lease order documents.
Areas of Practice
- Commercial Finance
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Corporate and Business Law
- Corporate Finance
- Supreme Court of Illinois
- Loyola University School of Law, J.D., 1995
Member, Loyola Law Journal
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, B.A., 1992
- Duane Morris LLP
- Partner, 2005-present
- Associate, 2000-2004
- Jones Day, Chicago, Illinois
- Associate, 1995-2000
- The Chicago Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Negotiated Acquisitions Committee
- Midwest Business Brokers and Intermediaries
- Illinois State Bar Association
Civic and Charitable Activities
- The Lungevity Foundation
- member of the Benefits committee
- Evanston Baseball and Softball Association - Board Member
Selected Speaking Engagements
- Co-presenter, "Starting a New Business: Some Legal and Practical Tips," Chicago, Illinois, October 19, 2010
- Co-guest lecturer, Venture Capital Structural Matters, Villanova Law School, Villanova, Pennsylvania, 2005-2013
- Lecturer, Villanova Law School's e-Business Class, March 2005
- Co author, "Investor Concerns In Light Of New CMS Long-Term Care Rule," Law360, December 8, 2016