Michael J. Shuman's practice includes a wide range of business litigation, with an emphasis on construction-related matters. He has extensive experience with representing owners/developers during all phases of development and has represented residential condominium and community developers such as The Related Group and Lennar as well as ownership groups such as that of the Fontainebleau Resort Hotel and the (now) Hard Rock Stadium. He also represents national financial institutions, national telecommunications companies, investment groups, partnerships, contractors, and small business owners in both construction and non-construction-related matters.
Mr. Shuman is a 2005 cum laude graduate of the University of Miami School of Law and a graduate of Tulane University. In 2014 through 2019, he was recognized by Super Lawyers as a "Rising Star."
Areas of Practice
- Construction Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Appellate Litigation
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Representation of South Florida Stadium LLC, the home of the Miami Dolphins, against subcontractor’s claim for additional $110 million in connection with contractor’s construction of stadium’s canopy roof.
- Representation of the developer of Hollywood Beach's "Trump Condominium" in multi-million dollar construction defect lawsuit concerning the design and construction of Trump Condominium.
- Representation of Lennar Homes, LLC in defense of suit filed by Broward County for alleged construction defects.
- Successful representation of National Construction Services, Inc., a specialty emergency services construction contractor client, in suing general contractor for non-payment on summary judgment – ultimately, after obtaining final judgment, recovering all money owed to National, including interest.
- Represented Fontainebleau Resort Hotel seeking delay damages against architectural and other design professionals in connection with the $500 million renovation of the historic hotel.
- Represented Fontainebleau Resort Hotel in resolving over 65 complex contractor lien lawsuits totaling $80 million in connection with successful out-of-court restructuring $850 million debt to avoid bankruptcy; and assist with closing of said restructuring.
- The Village at Dolphin Commerce Center, LLC v. Construction Service Solutions, LLC, (Fla. 3d DCA 2014) - Successful defense of developer's appeal of final judgment in favor of contractor client affirming judgment to foreclose lien and for judgment in an amount in excess of $400,000.
- Represented Warren Henry in drafting and negotiating AIA construction contract.
- Represented owner of West Palm Beach commercial landlord in drafting and negotiating several AIA construction contracts.
- Costa v. Datapro, Inc., 2011 WL 7318760 (S.D. Fla. 2011); 2011 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 153266 - Successful defense of international banking software company in breach of contract action brought by Brazilian foreign national; and obtain final judgment against foreign national plaintiff in excess of $1.5 million on counterclaims that the Brazilian foreign national misappropriated client's trade secrets and federally registered trade dress and trademark requiring international application of the Lanham Act.
- Successful representation of AT&T to prosecute claim seeking declaratory, injunctive, and other relief against two condominium homeowner associations blocking access to AT&T’s easement.
- Successful representation of Miller’s Mustang Barn, LLC, an automobile collection dealer, in defense of breach of contract case on motion to dismiss.
- Successful prosecution of trademark infringement action before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board cancelling competing mark.
- Successful defense and resolution of breach of contract case against medical facility through threatened misappropriation of intellectual property counterclaim.
- Successful resolution of federal multi-district class action litigation brought by managed care providers against client Blue Cross Blue Shield Association.
- Member of litigation team that represented client class in contract-based class action against Exxon Corp. resulting in $1 billion recovery.
- Showplace of Flagler, LLC v. Quest Diagnostics Clinical Laboratories, Inc., 2012 WL 913252 (S.D. Fla. 2012)
- Successful representation of client in negotiations with Disney for establishing a soccer academy on Walt Disney Resort Property.
Present and Past Construction Representative Matters
Other Representative Matters
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- University of Miami School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2005
- Tulane University, B.A., 2001
Duane Morris LLP
- Partner, 2018-present
- Special Counsel, 2014-2017
Daniels Kashtan P.A.
- Partner, 2012-2014
- Associate, 2010-2012
Stearns Weaver Miller Weissler Alhadeff & Sitterson P.A.
- Associate, 2005-2010
Honors and Awards
Recognized in Super Lawyers Rising Stars, 2014-2019
- Recognized by Sutton in Who's Who, 2011
Civic and Charitable Activities
- Member of YMCA Young Professionals Leadership Committee
- Miccosukee Y-Princesses Nation
- German Ghetto Work Reparations Program Pro Bono Program
- Put Something Back Pro Bono Program