Natalie F. (Hrubos) Bare represents and counsels management clients in all aspects of labor and employment law. She has extensive experience defending companies in class action and other complex litigation matters. Ms. Bare also helps employers navigate challenges and develop proactive compliance strategies in a wide range of employment-related areas, including wage and hour issues, employment-dispute arbitration programs, medical leaves and accommodations, and employee relations.
Areas of Practice
- Wage and Hour Class and Collective Action Litigation
- Employment Litigation and Arbitration
- Preventive Employment Law Counseling and Training
- Employee Handbook and Policy Development
- Employee Agreement and Contract Development
- Represented international retailer in obtaining dismissal with prejudice of six of nine causes of action in a putative class action filed by a former employee alleging violations of California labor laws, including meal and rest break claims, minimum wage and overtime claims, claims for waiting time penalties, claims for penalties under the Private Attorneys General Act (PAGA), and derivative claims under the Unfair Competition Law (UCL); this decision substantially reduces the client's exposure in the case by hundreds of millions of dollars.
- Represent two national companies in various multi-plaintiff wage and hour litigation matters involving alleged violations of the FLSA.
- Represent national cosmetology school in Rule 23 consumer class actions involving alleged violations of Pennsylvania and New Jersey consumer protection statutes, as well as purported claims for breach of implied contract, and unjust enrichment/disgorgement.
- Represent national cosmetology school in matter involving purported nationwide FLSA collective action and multiple Rule 23 state wage and hour law class actions in which students allege they are owed wages for time spent in school.
- Represented international spa company in purported Connecticut wage and hour class and collective action arbitration in which personal service employees assert multiple causes of action for alleged unpaid wages, including commissions, tips and overtime premium payments; successfully negotiated stipulation for consolidated mediation and arbitration of individual claims of opt-in claimants and achieved voluntary dismissal with prejudice of class allegations.
- Represented two diners in New York state wage and hour class and collective action in which seven named plaintiffs allege multiple federal and state wage law violations, including unpaid minimum wages, overtime premium payments, and spread of hours payments.
- Represented restaurant in New York state wage and hour class action in which three restaurant workers alleged failure to pay minimum wages, overtime premium payments, and spread of hours payments; class and collective allegations voluntarily dismissed and individual claims of three named plaintiffs settled on terms favorable to employer.
- Represented professional staffing services firm in purported nationwide collective action in which financial services industry workers alleged they were misclassified as exempt administrative and/or executive employees in violation of the FLSA; named and purported opt-in plaintiffs stipulated to consolidated mediation and arbitration and individual claims of the plaintiffs settled at mediation on terms favorable to employer.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a nursing and custodial care center in a federal case involving claims of disability discrimination, FMLA retaliation and FMLA interference (affirmed by the Third Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals).
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a financial services company in an arbitration involving claims of FMLA interference and retaliation.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a furniture and electronics rent-to-own company in an arbitration involving claims of disability discrimination and retaliation.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of an industrial services company in a federal case involving claims of disability discrimination and retaliation.
- Obtained dismissal of an EEOC charge alleging age discrimination on behalf of a fitness center.
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- Temple University Beasley School of Law, J.D., 2009
- Editor-in-Chief, Temple Political & Civil Rights Law Review
- The Pennsylvania State University, B.A., 2006
- American Bar Association
- Philadelphia Bar Association
Honors and Awards
Listed in Pennsylvania Super Lawyers Rising Stars, 2013-2015 and 2017-2019
- Named one of Pennsylvania's Lawyers on the Fast Track by The Legal Intelligencer, August 2012
- Craig M. Perry Community Service Award, Philadelphia Bar Association, 2011
- Sara Weaver Volunteer of the Year Award, Equality Advocates Pennsylvania, 2009
- Co-author, "Philadelphia Wage Equity Ordinance Takes Full Effect After Third Circuit Upholds Its Constitutionality," Duane Morris Alert, February 7, 2020
Co-author, "Pennsylvania Supreme Court Rules That Pittsburgh Paid Sick Leave Law Can Take Effect," Duane Morris Alert, July 24, 2019
- Co-author, "Appearance, Dress and Grooming Codes and Gender-Segregated Facilities", Selected Chapters in Gender Identity and Sexual Orientation Discrimination in the Workplace: A Practical Guide, Bloomberg BNA, October 2, 2014
- Author, "Non-Binary Gender Identities in the Workplace," The Legal Intelligencer, May 20, 2014
- Author, "Title VII and Transgender Employees: Top Five Questions," Society for Human Resource Management, March 12, 2014
- Author, "U.S. Supreme Court Rules on Meaning of 'Changing Clothes' Under FLSA's Section 203(o) Exemption," Duane Morris Alert, January 29, 2014
- Author, "Rubber band jewelry worth every penny," FLSA Compliance Monitor, Duane Morris Institute Blog, January 21, 2014
- Author, "Is 2014 the year for a wage & hour make over?" FLSA Compliance Monitor, Duane Morris Institute Blog, January 1, 2014
- Author, "Hashtag FLSA," FLSA Compliance Monitor, Duane Morris Institute Blog, December 11, 2013
- Author, "When Exempt Employees Turn Into Pumpkins," FLSA Compliance Monitor, Duane Morris Institute Blog, October 14, 2013
- Author, "3 Employer Pitfalls in Donning and Doffing Policies," Law360, October 2, 2013
- Author, "It's the (technology) age!" FLSA Compliance Monitor, Duane Morris Institute Blog, September 20, 2013
- Author, "U.S. Department of Labor Updates FMLA Guidance Documents to Implement Supreme Court's DOMA Decision," Duane Morris Alert, August 14, 2013
- Co-author, "U.S. Supreme Court Issues Unanimous Limited Arbitration Ruling in Oxford Health Plans LLC v. Sutter," Duane Morris Alert, June 13, 2013
- Co-author, "Final HIPAA Wellness Program Regulations Issued Under Affordable Care Act," Duane Morris Alert, June 7, 2013
- Author, "The FLSA Implications of New Year's Resolutions," FLSA Compliance Monitor, Duane Morris Institute Blog, January 7, 2013
- Author, "Santa and the FLSA," FLSA Compliance Monitor, Duane Morris Institute Blog, December 19, 2012
- Author, "Pa. Hospitals and Residential Care Establishments Now Permitted to Use FLSA's 8/80 Overtime Calculation Method," Duane Morris Alert, August 15, 2012
- Author, "How to Avoid Tip-Related Traps," Restaurant Hospitality, July 12, 2012
- Author, "Facebook and Job Candidates: Lessons From 'Office Space'," Law360, June 29, 2012
- Author, "EEOC Ruling Provides Guidance on Applying Title VII's Discrimination Prohibition to Transgender Employees," Duane Morris Alert, May 7, 2012; reprinted in New Jersey Law Journal, July 30, 2012
- Co-author, "Third Circuit Compels Arbitration in Meal Break Case and Finds No Basis for District Court's Unconscionability Ruling," Duane Morris Alert, April 9, 2012
- Author, "How to Build a Trans-Inclusive Work Environment: Three Key Lessons Every Employer Can Learn From Chaz Bono ," The Philadelphia Lawyer, Spring 2012; reprinted in Law360, March 30, 2012
- Co-author, "U.S. Department of Labor Proposes FMLA Regulatory Changes: It's Not Just About the Military Leave Provisions," Duane Morris Alert, March 7, 2012
Selected Speaking Engagements
Presenter, "Wage and Hour Quicksand for Manufacturers of Consumer and Packaged Goods," Duane Morris Institute (DMi) Webinar, September 24, 2019
Co-presenter, "Comprehensive Legal Update for Schools," Pennsylvania Association for Private School Administrators Annual Conference, July 24, 2019
Co-presenter, "Executive Responsibilities in Creating a Respectful, Safe & Productive Workplace," Safety Respect Equity Coalition, May 16, 2019
Speaker, "Words Matter: Tips for Finding the ‘Right’ Words in Challenging Workplace Conversations," Montgomery County Community College, Professional Development Week, Blue Bell, Pennsylvania, June 26, 2019
Speaker, "Wage and Hour Law Developments," Duane Morris' Developments in Workplace Law and Practice, Philadelphia, May 7, 2019
Presenter, "Words Matter: Tips for Finding the “Right” Words in Challenging Workplace Conversations," Duane Morris Institute Webinar, April 3, 2019
- Speaker, "Classifying Workers - Employee or Independent Contractor? A Complicated Decision," Philadelphia Bar Association, Philadelphia, June 23, 2017
Speaker, "Top Five Mistakes Hindering Your Performance Appraisal Process," Duane Morris’ Developments in Workplace Law and Practice, Philadelphia, May 3, 2017
- Speaker, Duane Morris' Developments in Workplace Law and Practice 2015, Philadelphia, May 14, 2015
- Presenter, "Systemic Approach to Combating Harassment" Duane Morris Institute Seminar, May 7, 2014
- Presenter, "Workplace Bullying 101: You Might Have A Bully If..." Duane Morris Institute Seminar, May 7, 2014
- Presenter, "Not In My Workplace! Preventing and Correcting Harassment," Duane Morris Institute Seminar, November 14, 2013
- Presenter, "Cutting Edge LGBT Workplace Issues," Duane Morris Institute Seminar, November 6, 2013
- Presenter, "Updates on Equal Employment Opportunity Law and Practices," 2013 EEOC Philadelphia Training Institute Seminar," Philadelphia, September 16, 2013
- Co-presenter, "Wage-and-Hour Issues You Didn't Know You Had," Duane Morris' Developments in Workplace Law and Practice Seminar, Philadelphia, May 22, 2013
- Presenter, "Not In My Workplace! Preventing and Correcting Harassment," Duane Morris Institute Seminar, Philadelphia, April 30, 2013
- Presenter, "Harassment in the Workplace: Trans/Gender Focus," Duane Morris Institute Webinar, February 28, 2013
- Panelist, "Best Practices: Finding the Way Forward," Bullying: Redefining Boundaries, Responsibility and Harm Conference, Temple University School of Law, February 23, 2013
- Presenter, "Wage and Hour Law Essentials for Hospitality Industry Employers," Pennsylvania Restaurant & Lodging Association Webinar, January 22, 2013