Dr. Nguyen Thi Lang has recently been appointed by Duane Morris LLP as the Chair of Duane Morris Vietnam LLC and become the first Chairwoman in Vietnam of an international law firm.
“Our Vietnam offices are a key part of our firm’s success in Asia, and we are excited that Dr. Lang now has an expanded role as chair of Duane Morris Vietnam,” said Matthew A. Taylor, the Chairman and CEO of Duane Morris LLP. “We are proud that she is the first chairwoman in Vietnam of an international law firm, and her stellar credentials and background will provide our client base with an additional firm resource and leader in-country. Dr. Lang will continue to oversee our Ho Chi Minh City office, along with director Dr. Oliver Massmann in Hanoi, and we could not be more pleased with our leadership in Vietnam.”
With more than two decades of practicing law and acting for numerous (and a wide variety of) multinational, foreign and local companies from all parts of the world and within Vietnam, Dr. Lang has very deep understanding of all aspects of corporate and commercial works, with particular emphasis on mergers and acquisitions, inward investment, commercial, real estate and infrastructure projects. She has outstanding skills both as a draftsperson and negotiator.
Dr. Lang has advised a wide variety of multinational businesses from all parts of the world, counseling many leading foreign and local investors in Vietnam. She is very highly regarded and recognized amongst Vietnam’s business and legal community with a stellar career in the law to date, having trained and worked in some of the world’s most prestigious law firms.
Clients commented of Dr. Lang, “she has extensive legal knowledge and experience in M&A” and “always provides innovative solutions to resolve all legal issues,” Clients also highlighted her “strong negotiation skills.” She is best known for her work representing multinationals on their investments in the country.
Dr. Lang is also very well regarded in the projects and energy space by market commentators. She is cited as a Recommended Lawyer for both Projects & Energy and Corporate and M&A sectors in Vietnam by the Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2021. Besides being listed as a Leading Individual for Real Estate sector by Chambers Asia-Pacific 2021, Dr. Lang is also ranked as a Highly Regarded Lawyer by the IFLR1000 2021. The newest edition of IFLR1000 2021 reported the following client feedback: “Dr Lang is one of the most respected lawyers in Vietnam and among the few who both excel professionally and academically. She is a very dedicated lawyer who works around the clock to resolve your legal issues. Her negotiation skill is also of the highest quality and respected by her peers.”
Dr. Lang earned an LL.B. (1999), LL.M. (2003) and Doctor of Law degree (2008) from Ho Chi Minh City University of Law. She also has lectured on a wide range of subjects including corporate governance, investment, commercial, competition and anti-corruption law. She has written extensively on foreign investment in Vietnam, and in particular on BOT contracts.
Areas of Practice
M&A and Corporate
Real Estate and Construction
Power Projects and Infrastructure
- Restructuring and Compliance
Commercial and International Trade
- Advised one of the global leaders in healthcare on the purchase of assets in a group of pharmaceutical companies.
- Advised one of the world's leading companies in international marine terminal operations on the development and limited recourse financing of a container port in Vietnam.
- Advised one of the world's largest fund management companies on the acquisition of shares in numerous companies developing significant real estate projects in Vietnam.
- Advised one of Asia's largest real estate companies on its proposed establishment of a Vietnam property fund.
- Advised a large water company on its successful investment in one of the biggest water treatment plants in Vietnam.
- Advised a major multinational luxury goods conglomerate on the structuring of their local presence in Vietnam to conduct both importation and distribution of wine and spirits in Vietnam and operational issues of these companies.
- Advised a leading Japanese trading house on the establishment of the first 100% foreign-owned company being granted a licence to engage in a full range of distribution activities in Vietnam and the purchase of interest in numerous companies.
- Advised a multinational Fortune Global 500 company on the acquisition of the entire equity interest in a local joint venture engaging in the construction industry, the investment in a greenfield project in Vietnam, and other investment and commercial issues.
- Advised one of the world leaders in advertising and marketing services on the acquisition of shares of various local advertising companies.
- Ho Chi Minh City University of Law, Doctor of Law, 2008
- Ho Chi Minh City University of Law, LL.M., 2003
- Ho Chi Minh City University of Law, LL.B. (Hons), 1999
Duane Morris Vietnam LLC
- Partner, 2019-present
Frasers Law Company
- Partner, 2012-2019
Freshfields Bruckhaus Derringer
- International Counsel, 2003-2012
- Senior Lawyer, 2001-2003
Lucy Wayne & Associates
- Lawyer, 1998-2001
Ho Chi Minh City Bar Association
Honors and Awards
- Ranked by the Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2021 as Recommended Lawyer for both Projects & Energy and Corporate and M&A sectors in Vietnam
- Listed by Chambers Asia-Pacific 2021 as Leading Individual for Real Estate sector
- Listed by IFLR 1000 as Highly Regarded Lawyer for M&A, 2021
"Legal Obstacles regarding Procedures for Signing BOT Contracts," Legal Review, March 2008
"A New Viet BOT Decree," Project Finance International Journal, 2007
"Main Legal Issues of BOT Contracts," Legal Sciences Journal, 2007
"BOT – Private or Common Legal Institution?" Law and Development Journal, 2007
"Parties to the BOT Contracts," Legal Review, 2007
"Major Legal Issues arising under Decree 78 on BOT Contracts," Legal Review, 2007
"Measures for Protection of Foreign Investment in Vietnam," VIE/01/025 project, 2005
"Securities for Financial Obligations of Vietnamese Parties Participating in Ancillary Contracts of BOT Projects," Legal Sciences Journal, 2004