Dr. Oliver Massmann
Dr. Oliver Massmann is an International Attorney at Law and a Financial Accountant and Auditor.
Dr. Oliver Massmann received his PhD with Major in International Business Law.
Dr. Massmann has over 20 years experience working as commercial lawyer in Vietnam.
Dr. Massmann practices in the area of corporate international taxation and on power/water projects, matters related to oil and gas companies and telecoms, privatization and equitization, mergers and acquisitions, and general commercial matters for multinational clients in relation to investment and doing business in Vietnam. He has been awarded "Leading Lawyer" in Mergers and Acquisitions in Vietnam by LEGAL 500 for the last four years in a row.
Dr. Massmann is the only foreign lawyer as Member to the Supervisory Board of PetroVietnam Insurance Corporation, Vietnam's largest industrial insurer.
Dr. Massmann is currently working on several investment projects as well as taxation matters and advising the Ministry of Electrical Power on building the power generation infrastructure in Myanmar.
The National Assembly of Vietnam invited Dr. Oliver Massmann to present on the Impact of the Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement on Vietnam, June 2016. Dr. Oliver Massmann is the first foreigner ever to present in Vietnamese language to Members of the National Assembly of Vietnam.
Dr. Massmann is registered Arbitrator of the Vietnam International Arbitration Centre (The VIAC). He is the only foreign lawyer in Vietnam who is presenting to the National Assembly of Vietnam in Vietnamese language and teaching International law in Vietnamese language at the Ministry of Justice in Hanoi.
Dr. Massmann is holding a German Judge Degree. He has worked as arbitrator in International Arbitration and Mediation centers in Asia and Europe during the last 20 years. Dr. Massmann has represented many client in arbitration proceedings and Disputes in these Arbitration centers.
Dr. Massmann is a 1994 graduate of Bochum Law University, first state exam and Ministry of Justice, Duesseldorf Germany, second state exam 1997. He is holding a LLM degree in international taxation from St. Thomas University Florida- United State of America. He is certified as International Financial Accountant and Auditor by College of Birmingham. He is admitted to the Bar Association in Berlin and a licensed foreign lawyer in Vietnam.
- Representing Montana AS Beteiligungs Holding AG, a global private markets investment company based in Switzerland, in its involvement with a Vietnamese manufacturer of aerospace aviation components. Montana has formed a Singapore pass-through entity, Universal Alloy Corporation Asia Pte. Ltd., which will establish a foreign-backed company in Vietnam for this $170 million investment project in the Da Nang High Technology Zone.
- Advised an international group in one of the biggest M&A transactions in pharmaceutical sector in Vietnam in 2017 in terms of deal values.
- Advised a developer and investor on the preparation of all project related agreements from the perspective of tax, insurance and corporate law. The developer has plans to build and operate six solar power plants in Myanmar with a combined power generation output of 420MW.
- Advising and assisting one of the leading manufacturers of extruded aluminum profiles. Our advice cover the proposal to re-structure its investment in Vietnam and exit the joint venture as practical as possible.
- Advising a Czech Republic client on relevant contractual, tax and labor issues to develop solar power projects, including power purchase agreements and other project documents.
- Advise and assist a Singapore–based company to unify and re-shape the market of luxurious watches and clocks in Vietnam. We help them to achieve this objective via a series of M&A and asset acquisition transaction.
- Advise and assist a leading worldwide Renewable Developer in structuring its renewable energy investment in Vietnam market.
- Advising an international group on all related legal aspects of Merger and Antitrust laws in Vietnam for worldwide merger of largest agriculture companies on earth.
- Advising an international group in one of the biggest M&A transaction in pharmaceutical sector in Vietnam in 2017 in terms of deal values.
- Representing an EPC provider for turn-key solar PV power plants based in Germany, in establishing a commercial presence in Vietnam and implementing Solar Power Plant projects.
- Advising developer and investor on the preparation of all project related agreements from the perspective of tax, insurance and corporate law. The developer has plans to build and operate six solar power plants in Myanmar with a combined power generation output of 420MW.
- Advising an European E-commerce company on establishing the entity and legal structure for E-Commerce business and investing in Blockchain Technology in Vietnam.
- Representing a Swiss medical market expansion services provider in the expanse of its business in Vietnam in the sector of wholesale medical equipment and materials via the acquisition of a local company.
- Represented an Italian developer and private IPP operator concerning the regulatory framework and issues related to setting up a long-term joint-venture, as well as implementation of solar power projects in Vietnam.
- Represented Greencells Group, an EPC provider for turn-key solar PV power plants based in Germany, in establishing a commercial presence in Vietnam and implementing Solar Power Plant projects.
- Representing PROLiGNIS Energie Consulting GmbH on Vietnam's first large-scale biomass power plant project.
- Representing EAB New Energy GmbH, one of the largest wind energy developing companies in Germany, concerning a Power Purchase Agreement for a wind power project in Vietnam, the "Mui Dinh wind project," with a total investment value of $100 million. The agreement signed with Vietnam Electricity Corporation (EVN) is the first for a privately financed Wind Power Project in Vietnam.
- Advised an international shipyard group in expanding its Asia-wide investment project related to acquisitions, the purchase of a shipyard, the opening of a central warehouse and establishing multiple joint ventures.
- Advised an international cooperation enterprise for sustainable development with regard to a wind energy and renewable energy project supported by the German ministry of environment (BMU) and conducted in cooperation with the Ministry of Industry and Trade in Vietnam (MOIT), in particular with regard to introduction of a new law promoting renewable energy projects in Vietnam.
- Advised German subcontractor in relation to work on Dai Ninh hydropower project.
- Acted for German waste to energy company in connection with its plans to construct and operate a municipal solid waste to energy facility in Vietnam with total investment of approximately US$500 million.
- Advised major U.S. contractor in connection with provision of technical services to 750MW coal-fired power plant in Quang Ninh province.
- Acting for property developer in relation to US$200 million closed-end property development fund.
- Acting for investors in relation to resort property development projects throughout Vietnam.
- Acting for major U.S. investment house in relation to mixed-use property development project in Ho Chi Minh City.
- Acting for Malaysian investor in relation to US$5 billion residential and tourism development project.
- Privatization projects for East German state-owned companies in the construction industry and heavy industry sector, drafting an equitization manual for the Vietnam Ministry of Finance, authorizing a report on Hungarian and Chinese privatization methods for a UNDP/Ministry of Finance privatization project in Vietnam and consulting on privatization and initial public offerings in relation to Vietnamese state-owned enterprises as part of an ADB project.
- Successfully concluded negotiations for the construction contract for Vietnam's first build-operate-transfer (BOT) power plant in Vietnam with investment volume of about US$400 million.
- Advised and assisted a cement plant project in Vietnam with the total value of US$90,000,000.
- Advised on establishing a hospital in Vietnam for a US-registered non-profit organization.
- Provided legal analysis for an insurance underwriter of project documents (BOT Agreement, Power Purchase Agreement, Gas Supply Agreement, Water Supply Agreement, Government Guarantee, etc.) with regard to a political risk insurance cover for a BOT power project in Vietnam.
- Assisted with the transfer of legal capital in a significant joint venture company in fiber optic production in Vietnam.
- Advised on intended sale of interest in an industry gas joint venture company in Vietnam and the disposition of its enterprise with 100% foreign-owned capital in Vietnam.
- Acted for Austrian consortium on a water-quality improvement project in Hanoi with advice on structuring water treatment project and establishing investment vehicle.
- Advised on a project regarding release of debenture and joint venture transaction for a building in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
- Acted as leading attorney in advising and assisting the foreign contractor with all aspect of planning and implementing a cement plant in Vietnam.
Areas of Practice
- Private International Law
- Intellectual Property
- Commercial Law
- Banking and Finance
- Corporate, Mergers and Acquisitions
- Securities and Capital Markets
- Information Technology and Communications
- Construction Law
- Technology Transfer
- Dispute Resolution/Litigation
- Labor and Employment law
- International and Commercial
- Major Projects and Project Finance
- Offshore Incorporations
- Corporate Law
- Berlin, Germany
- Vietnam (Registered Foreign Attorney)
- St. Thomas University School of Law, LL.M., Taxation, 2005
- Ministry of Justice, Duesseldorf, Second State Examination for Judges and Lawyers, 1997
- Foreign Language University, Hanoi, Vietnam, Diploma in Vietnamese Language, 1995
- Ruhr-Universität Bochum, First State Examination in Law, 1994
- European Global School in Paris, PhD, International Business Law, Cum Laude, 2017
- Duane Morris LLP
- Partner, 2007-present
- Baker & McKenzie
- Partner, 2004-2007
- Associate, 1999-2004
- Member of the Rechtsanwaltskammer Berlin (German Law Society), Federal Republic of Germany
- Counsel of Choice of German Embassy, Vietnam
- Corporate Partner to WTO, Trade, Investment Group of Eurocham
- Vietnam Representative of Deutsch-Asiatischer-Wirtschaftskreis e.V. in Leipzig, Germany, 2005-present
Honors and Awards
- Listed in The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2021 for Corporate and M&A and Projects and Energy, Vietnam
- Listed in Chambers Asia-Pacific for Projects, Infrastructure & Energy-Vietnam, 2020 and 2021
Listed in Chambers Asia-Pacific for Corporate/M&A Vietnam, 2019-2021
- Listed by IFLR 1000 as Highly Regarded Lawyer for M&A, Energy & Infrastructure, Technology and Telecommunications, Oil and Gas, 2020 and 2021
Listed by IFLR 1000 as Highly Regarded Lawyer for M&A, Energy & Infrastructure, 2019
Listed in Chambers Global, 2018-2022
- Ranked as one of leading lawyer in M&A sector in Vietnam and as the only German qualified Individual Leading Lawyer in Vietnam.
Merit Award of the Chairman of Hanoi People’s Committee for good achievements in judiciary support
- Certificates granted by Foreign Trade University as Professor to the Foreign Trade University - Lecturing on Guest–Invitation Basis, June 2010
- Vietnam's honorable ambassador to LAWASIA as member of the executive board of LAWASIA Energy Section
- "Recommended Tax Lawyer" in the PLC Which Lawyer? Tax rankings for Vietnam, 2006/2007
- Recommended Lawyer in Vietnam, Certificate granted by Global Counsel
- Certificates granted by the Ministry of Justice of Vietnam regarding lectures in Vietnamese language on the Bilateral Trade Agreement between Vietnam and the U.S. at the Legal Professional School (December 2001); International Rules for Arbitration, including the UNCITRAL Rules and the Model Law; Practical International Arbitration Experiences, Danang, Vietnam (August 2002); and seminars on EU/German law (2003-present)
- Part of a group of lawyers that received "The Department of Trade and Industry Award for Capacity Building in the Developing World" at the Worldaware Business Awards 2004 ceremony held at the Royal Society in London, January 2004. The award is given to an organization for its role in enhancing the ability of a developing country to participate in international trade negotiations.
- Member of Board of Management of German Business Association
Member to the Supervisory Board of PetroVietnam Insurance Holdings Joint Stock Company
"Overcoming Corruption: Vietnam Emerges as Investable Proposition," iGaming Times, September 2018
"Vietnam Considering New, More Promising Feed-in Tariff for Wind Power," Offshore Wind, September 2018
"Vietnam – Effective Anti-Corruption Measures and Compliance Structures – Advise for the Government," VITV, September 2018
"Legal Complications Remain for Foreign Investment in Vietnam Infrastructure," VN Express International, September 2018
"Vietnam Set to Try Direct Corporate Power Purchase Agreement," VN Express International, August 2018
"EU Firms to Bid on Public Contracts," Vietnam Investment Review, August 2018
"Vietnam Remains an M&A Magnet," Vietnam Investment Review, July 2018
"Listing Frenzy in Vietnam," Asian Legal Business, July 2018
In 2017, Mr. Massmann has drafted reports, articles on Vietnam – EU free trade treaty and Investment in some areas in Vietnam which have been published locally and internationally. He is number 1 author with various articles on investing and doing business in Vietnam
In 2016, Mr. Massmann has drafted reports, articles on TTP, Vietnam – EU free trade treaty and Investment in some areas in Vietnam which have been published locally and internationally. He also sent the Prime Minister the expectation of foreign investors who would like to invest in Vietnam and provide recommendations to improve legal framework and foreign investment environment in Vietnam. He is number 1 author with various articles on investing and doing business in Vietnam
- "Duane Morris Vietnam acts on Biomass Power Project in Vietnam" Practice Source, October 2015
"It's Time to Invest in Vietnam Solar Projects," Law360, October 2015
"At this Rate Vietnam Will Kill the Goose that Lays the Golden Eggs Vietnam Needs a Sound Strategy," Eurolink, September/October 2015
"New Vietnam Investment Law won’t help Public Sector," Monitor Global Outlook, September 2015
"Why Vietnam is the most investor-friendly country in Southeast Asia," ThanhNien News, August 2015
"Wave of M&As forecast for Vietnam," Vietnam Investment Review, March 2015
"A touch of Clarity," Vietnam Economic Times, January 2015
"New Investment and Enterprise Laws - Meaning Reform or Minor Fiddling?" Vietnam Investment Review, January 2015
"Do you expect a final solution for the EU-VN free trade consultations soon?" and "Impacts of the Asean Economic Community on Vietnam’s economy and especially international companies in Vietnam," International Magazine - Germany, December 2014
"Mining Industry of Vietnam," The ASIA Miner, Australia, November 2014
Vietnam - Fusion und übernahme," Asia Bridge, November 2014
"Investing in Geothermal Power Project in Vietnam," September 2014
- Co-authored with Chris Rowley, "The Changing face of Vietnamese Management," Routledge, 2009
- Co-author, "The Winds of Change," Vietnam Investment Review, July 2009
- Co-author, "Vietnam Opens Wider For Business," December 31, 2008
- "International Business: Vietnam Ventures," Los Angeles Daily Journal, November 27, 2007
- "Vietnam: BOT Projects — Tax Issues," Asia-Pacific Tax Bulletin Journal, March 2006
- "Vietnam - WTO: Why and How?", to be published in EuroCham's newsletter in the Vietnam Investment Review, August 2004
- "Vietnam: Cross-Border Chattel Hiring," Asia-Pacific Tax Bulletin, May/June 2004, March 2004
- "Vietnam and the Phu My 3 BOT Power Plant - An Open Door or Invite Only", published on Swiss-South East Asian Chamber of Commerce ("SEA") Journal, January 2002
- "Labor Law in Vietnam", Bundesanstalt für Außenhandel (Bfai), November 2001
- "Dispute Resolution in Vietnam", Bundesanstalt für Außenhandel (Bfai), November 2001
- "Investitionsführer Vietnam 2000," The Guide For Foreign Investment In Vietnam 2000, (Bfai), February 2000
- Vietnamese Private International Law (Civil Code Vietnam) "Internationales Privatrecht Vietnam" for the first edition of the book "Ausseuropäische IPR - Gesetze Der Professoren Krüger (Köln), Kropholler (Hamburg), Siehr (Zürich) Und Dr. Riering, Edited by "Deutsches Notarinstitut (Würzburg)" am Max-Planck Institut, April 1998
- "Finanzierung und Kreditsicherung in Vietnam" (Bfai), March 1998
- Publications about the Legal System in Vietnam through "Bundesstelle Für Außenhandelsinformationen" (Bfai), Agrippastraße 87-93, 50676 Köln, January/February 1998
Selected Speaking Engagements
- Presentation on "The Future Landscape of The Vietnam Wind Energy Market," PVBOX, Webinar, June 29, 2020
Presentation at the Conference on the EU-Vietnam Free Trade Agreement (EVFTA), Brussels, 18 September 2018
Presentation at "AML Summit Vietnam 2017" in HCMC, December 2017
Presentation at "Largest Solar and Energy Storage Show," Manila, November 2017
Presentation at "Second Trade Mission Vietnam," Hanoi and HCMC, November 2017
Presentation at "Vietnam’s business environment - Investment opportunities and challenges for foreign investors," Brussels, November 2017
Presentation at "Solar & off-Grid Renewables South East Asia Conference," in Bangkok, November 2017
Presentation at "Vietnam Norwegian Solar Energy Seminar," in Hanoi, October 2017
Presentation at "Hong Kong In-House Legal Summit," in Hong Kong, September 2017
Presentation at "Vietnam In-House Legal Summit," in HCMC, June 2017
Presentation at Vietnam - Australia Energy Forum in Hanoi, May 2017
Presentation on "Transport Infrastructure Outlook Vietnam" in HCMC, May 2017
Presentation at "Vietnam Renewable Energy Summit" Hanoi, May 2017
Presentation on investment in Vietnam in Germany, April 2017
Presentation at World Fair Council in US in March 2017
Presentation at "Automechanika" in HCMC, March 2017
Presentation at "International HR Conference" in Hong Kong, March 2016
Presentation at "Global Legal & IP" in Singapore, March 2017
Presentation on EU - VN FTA in HCMC, January 2017
Presentation at "Eurocham business minds come together to discuss the present and the future of the business landscape in Vietnam" in HCMC, December 2016
Discussion about "How Free Trade Agreements will effect commodity business landscape in Vietnam" in HCMC, December 2016
Presentation at "Solar & Offgrid South East Asia" in Bangkok, November 2016
Presentation at "Vietnamese Market Analysis - Practical and Legal Perspective" in Gent, November 2016
Presentation at "Vietnam’s business environment - Investment opportunities and challenges for foreign investors" in Brussels, November 2016
Presentation on Trans-Pacific Partnership & Trade Relationships in San Jose, October 2016
Presentation on "Vietnam’s business environment - Investment opportunities and challenges for foreign investors" in Hanoi, October 2016
Presentation at "Hong Kong In-house Legal Summit 2016" in Hong Kong, September 2016
Presentation in Vietnamese on "Flat world - Opportunities for Vietnamese enterprises" in Hanoi, August 2016
Presentation at "Electric Power Asia conference" in Yangon, July 2016
Presentation on "Rules of Origin under EUVNFTA and TPP" in Hanoi, June 2016
Presentation on "Vietnam – Major trade pacts – The TPP, EVFTA and AEC – What is in for you? Opportunities and Challenges" in Hanoi, June 2016
Discussion about "The EU- Vietnam Free Trade Agreement and the Rules of Origin" in Hanoi, June 2016
Invited by the members of the National Assembly, Presentation in Vietnamese "Trans-Pacific Partnership and its implementation in Vietnam" in June 2016
Presentation on "How the EVFTA impact supply chains" in HCMC, June 2016
Presentation on "Rules of origin under the TPP – What is different from the EVFTA? Opportunities and challenges for certain sectors" in HCMC, May 2016
Discussion on "2016 Economic Status and its impact analysis; Emergence of the Asian regional transaction banks" in Hanoi, May 2016
Presentation on "Vietnam and its major trade pacts or how the country could have deep impact on our global supply chains" in Netherland, April 2016
Presentation on M&A at "Thailand In-House Summit" in Bangkok, March 2016
Presentation at "Asia M&A Forum 2016" in Hong Kong, March 2016
Presentation at "International HR Conference," in Hong Kong, March 2016
Presentation on "TPP and its impact" in Hanoi, February 2016
Presentation on "Solar Energy" in Hanoi, January 2016
Presenting Major Legal Issues for Getting Deals Done at the meeting with Chairman of EVN Mr Duong Quang Thanh - HCMC December 2015
Presentation on "Vietnam scraps foreign ownership limits in investment - How much you know & What you can do?" in HCMC, December 2015
Presentation on "Vietnam, New Investment law, The AEC, EVFTA, TPP and Star Trek: FTA and TPP," Germany, November 2015
- Presentation on "Vietnam, New Investment law, The AEC, EVFTA, TPP and Star Trek: Scotti: Beam Vietnam Up" in Netherland, November 2015
Presentation on "Investment in Vietnam and Myanmar," in Hongkong, September 2015
Presentation on "Implementing Power Project in Myanmar," in Yangon, September 2015
Presentation on "Myanmar - Significant Law and Regulation Relevant to the Offshore Oil and Gas Industry" Yangon, September 2015
Presentation at "Corporate Compliance and Disclosure," Seminar in Singapore, August
Presentation on "Business proposal to your potential investor? Do’s and Don’ts," Hanoi, August 2015
Presents at "Global Economic Outlook and Economic Developments and Outlook for Vietnam" seminar in Hanoi, June 2015
Presentation at "Wind Energy Event" in HCMC, June 2015
Presentation on "Investment Law and Asean Economic Community" in HCMC, June 2015
Presentation at "South East Asia In-House Legal Summit 2015" in Singapore, May 2015
Presentation at "Customs & International Trade Compliance Asia Masterclass" in Singapore, May 2015
Presentation on "Update on the new Investment and Enterprise Laws - What is really new?" in HCMC, May 2015
Presentation at "Energy in SouthEast Asia," Netherland, April 2015
Presentation on "Doing Business in Vietnam, Legal Updates" in Hanoi, April 2015
Presentation at "Thailand and Myanmar, your Gateway into Asean" in Netherland, April 2015
Presentation at "Asean Seminar" in Frankfurt, March 2015
Presents at Asia M&A Forum 2015 in Hongkong, March 2015
Presentation at Seminar 'Reforming Vietnam's economy' in Paris, February 2015
Presentation at Offshore Convention Myanmar 2015 Conference and Exhibition, Myanmar, January 2015
Presentation at Investment event in Vietnam in HCMC, January 2015
Presentation in Norwegian Business Forum in HCMC, November 2014
Presentation at SACC Mission to Vietnam, November 2014
Presentation on Legal Due Diligence Vietnam in HCMC, November 2014
Presentation in TU – SUV CEO Talk in HCMC, November 2014
Presentation in Asia-Pacific Dispute Resolution Summit in Hongkong, September 2014
Presentation in Australia Mintech in Australia, August 2014
Presentation on Investment in Myanmar in Hanoi, June 2014
Presentation in Poland – Vietnam Business Forum in Hanoi, June 2014
Presentation in Thailand Power and Electricity in Thailand, June 2014
Presentation in Unconventional Gas Conference in Singapore, June 2014
Presentation in M&A - Vietnam Business Forum in Hanoi, June 2014
Presentation in Sea Offshore Summit in HCMC, April 2014
Presentation on Investing in Myanmar in Netherland, April 2014
Presentation in Mining Seminar in Hanoi, March 2014
Presentation in Myanmar Infrastructure Summit in Myanmar, March 2014
Presentation in Investment Forum in Myanmar, January 2014
Presentation on Trans-Pacific Partnership in Thailand, January 2014
Presentation on Healthcare Sector in Berlin, November 2013
Presentation on Investing in Myanmar in Yangon, November 2013
Presentation on Vietnam Insurance in HCMC, November 2013
Presentation in AFLA New York in New York, Oct 2013
Presentation on Vietnam Energy Outlook in HMC, Sep 2013
Presentation on Trade and Distribution in Singapore, August 2013
Presentation at Greater Mekong Investment seminar in Bangkok, June 2013
Presentation on Legal issues in Oil and Gas Project in Singapore, June 2013
Presentation at Vietnam Economy in Hanoi, June 2013
Presentation on Investing in Myanmar in HMC, May 2013
Presentation on comparative analysis between Vietnam, Myanmar and Cambodia in HCMC, May 2013
Presentation on International Offshore Oil and Gas Hub in HMC, May 2013
- Presentation on Impacts of innovative infrastructure developments – focus on energy supply and energy security. Dr. Philipp Rösler (Minister of Economics & Technology of Germany) attending event at the Ministry of Planning and Investment of Vietnam the "Vietnam-Germany Dialogue Forum"
- Presentation on "Sustainable Investment and Progress in Vietnam," in Mrs. Chancellor Angela Merkel's visit to Vietnam, Ho Chi Minh City, November 2011
- Presentation on "Vietnam's Investment Environment from Legal and Tax Perspective" in German at a Conference organized by German-Asean Business Circle in Frankfurt, November 2010
- Presentation on "Vietnam's Legal and Policy Framework on Energy: Current and Moving Forward" in the 2nd annual Vietpower Conference, organized by IBC Asia, September 2010
- Presentation on "Best Practice in Gas Project Partnerships: Win-Win Solutions in Development Bankable Oil and Gas Projects" in the Conference on Vietnam Offshore Oil & Gas, organized by IBC Asia, June 2010
- Presentation on "Expatriate Employment: Key Legal Considerations and Dispute Issues" in the seminar on Employment Law & HRM in Vietnam organized by Asia Business Forum (Thailand) Limited, July 2010
- Presentation on International Trade Law – Evaluation from Practitioners: THE BASICS in the Short-term Training Course on International Trade Law organized by Hanoi University of Foreign Trade, June 2010
- Presentation on "Free Trade Zone ASEAN – Obstacles and Prospects for Vietnam and Dispute Resolution Mechanism between Member States" in seminar organized by KAS Vietnam, Ministry of Industry and Trade and International Business and Law Academy, November 24, 2009
- Presentation on "Going Green and Financing Renewable Energy in Asia: The Basics" in 12th LawAsia Conference, November 12, 2009
- Presentation on "Legal Obstacles for Renewable Energy Development in Vietnam" in the International Forum on Wind Power Development in Vietnam, November 6, 2009
- Presentation on "Vietnam And Its Venture WTO–Impact And Opportunities" in seminar organized by KAS Vietnam and National Academy of Public Administration, November 5, 2009
- Presentation on "Legislation Dealing with Public Corruption in Vietnam" in NYSBA Singapore Conference "New York and New Asia – A Partnership for the 21st Century," October 29, 2009
- Presentation on "Investment in the Energy Sector" in Eurocham's GreenBiz Conference, September 17-18, 2009
- Presentation on "Labor Law of Vietnam: Protecting the Protected" in Fortress Intelligence's Seminar on Vietnam Employment Law, August 31, 2009
- Presentation on "Towards Bankable Power Projects in Vietnam" in Mekong Power Summit, June 4, 2009
- Presentation on "Vietnam's Legal and Policy Framework on Energy: Current and Moving Forward" in Seminar on Climate Change organized by the Vietnamese National Assembly, April 27, 2009
- Presentation on "State Liability – German and European law" in Seminar in Nha Trang, organized by KAS Vietnam, September 9-10, 2008
- Presentation on "From Private Equity to IPO: Legal Aspects of Restructuring a Corporate Group in Preparation of an IPO" in Seminar in Bangkok, organized by IRVING Seminar & Training, June 26-27, 2008
- Presentation on "Legalization and Notarization – German and European Law" in seminar in Nha Trang, organized by KAS Vietnam, March30-April 1, 2008
- Presentation on "Vietnam Tax and Transfer Pricing" in seminar in Singapore organized by Fortress Intelligence, March 17, 2008
- Presentation on "Capital & Finance" in seminar in Ho Chi Minh City, organized by Irving Seminar & Training, February 21-22, 2008
- Presentation on "An introduction to Vietnam's labor law – law and practice" in seminar in Singapore, organized by Fortress Intelligence, 17-18 January 2008
- Presentation on "Trade Registration – German and European Law" in seminar in Ho Chi Minh City, organized by KAS Vietnam, December 5-8, 2007
- Presentation on "Latest Assessment of the Legal Framework for Infrastructure and Impact on IPP Developments in Vietnam" and chairing the 10th Vietnam/Mekong OGP Summit, organized by Centre for Management Technology in Hanoi, November 27-28, 2007
- Presentation on "Land Classification, Zoning and Building Permits" in Ho Chi Minh City, organized by Irving Seminars, November 16, 2007
- Presentation on "Harmonization of Economic and Trade Law", seminar in Halong organized by Konrad- Adenauer Stiftung (KAS), October 30, 2007
- Presentation regarding Trading Branches and Freight Tax on behalf of EuroCham in the Vietnam Business Forum, Hanoi, December 13, 2006
- Presentation regarding Vietnam's WTO accession, seminar organized by Eurocham, Ho Chi Minh City, December 6, 2006
- Presentation regarding Vietnam's WTO accession, seminar in Zurich and Geneva organized by the Swiss-Asian Chamber of Commerce for ASEAN and Korea, November 22-24, 2006
- Presentation regarding Vietnam's WTO accession, seminar in Bonn organized by the Regional Development Policy South-East Asia Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ), November 21, 2006
- "Chancen und Hemmnisse fuer auslaendische Beteiligungen im Infrastrukturbereich," Außenwirtschaftskonferenz Berlin-Brandenburg 2006, organized by Außenwirtschaft Beraterin Asien & Pazifik, Berlin, November 16, 2006
- Presentation on enforceability of rights in Vietnam including bankruptcy and insolvency practices in the seminar re Aon Trade Credit Asia, 8th Annual Conference, Hanoi Hilton Hotel, Hanoi, Vietnam, October 17, 2006
- Presentation on "Vietnam's Post-accession action plan" within the seminar in "Towards the Establishment of a WTO Training Program" in the University of Social Sciences and Humanities, Vietnam, September 20, 2006
- "Corporate Governance - Principles and Implementation in Vietnam," at the seminar "Developing corporate governance models towards international best principles and practices" within the Vietnam -EU Business Forum (VEUBF), sponsored and supported by HSBC, State Bank of Vietnam Vietcombank, Hanoi, Vietnam, September 11, 2006
- "Significance of the Permanent Establishment Concept," seminar on permanent establishments and Tax & Trusts Training Course, organized by Baker & McKenzie in cooperation with Tax Executives Institute (TEI), Singapore, September 6, 2006
- "WTO & its impact to supply chain, transport market, retailing, trading," for foreign companies in Ho Chi Minh City, organized by Cartridge World (VN), Co. Ltd., September 2, 2006
- Presentation on roadmap for foreign enterprises to invest in Telecom, Banking, Financial and Professional Services after Vietnam's WTO-Accession, organized by Eurocham, Hanoi, June 22, 2006
- Presentation on Vietnam's new Enterprise and Investment Law for German Business Association, Ho Chi Minh City, June 14, 2006
- Speech and discussion about investment in infrastructure and power projects in Vietnam in the session "The Enabling Environment for PPP in Viet Nam" within the Workshop "Public Private Partnerships (PPPs) to deliver essential infrastructure services to the poor in Vietnam" organized by the Asian Development Bank (ADB), Vietnam Resident Mission, Hanoi, June 12, 2006
- Address on draft implementing decree of the investment law on behalf of Eurocham in the Vietnam Business Forum (VBF), organized by the International Finance Corporation (IFC), the Ministry of Planning and Investment and World Bank, June 5, 2006
- "Comparative Study of GST/VAT Regimes in Vietnam" and "Roundup of GST/VAT Developments in Vietnam" First Annual Asia Pacific GST/VAT Conference, Singapore, 22-23 May 2006
- Spoke regarding draft decree on BOT in the Vietnam Business Forum, meeting on power organized by the World Bank/ IFC, May 16, 2006
- "Overview of Methods of Alcohol Taxation: Ad Valorem & Specific Tax," "Specific Tax: How can it be used?" "Case Study: Dominican Republic," "Case Study: Hong Kong," "Case Study: Colombia," presentations in Vietnamese language at the seminar "Alcohol Excise Tax in Vietnam" co-organized by Eurocham and Ministry of Finance of Vietnam, April 27, 2006
- "World Trade Organization - What is it and what will it mean for you?," seminar regarding "The membership of Vietnam to the WTO and their implication on the provinces, held by National Academy of Public Administration (NAPA) and Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung (KAS), Hanoi, April 4, 2006
- "Equitization/Privatization - German experiences," seminar on Vietnam entering the WTO: Transformation of state-owned enterprises in Vietnam organized by Vietnam National University and KAS, Hanoi, March 28, 2006
- Presentation on IPR, General overview of the current state of law, Vietnam's accession to Brussels Convention Relating to the Distribution of Programme-Carrying Signals Transmitted by Satellite, International Convention for the Protection of Plant Varieties (UPOV), Border Enforcement, Procedure to request provisional suspension, Customs Procedures in case of Detection of Infringement on behalf of the European Chamber of Commerce in Vietnam in the Seminar and Exhibition on "IPR: Powering SMEs", organized by the EC-ASEAN Intellectual Property Rights Co-operation Programme (ECAP II) in coordination with the National Office of Intellectual Property of Vietnam (NOIP) and the European Chamber of Commerce in Vietnam, at Sheraton Hanoi Hotel, Vietnam, March 16-17, 2006
- "Legal Enforcement and Execution: German and European Law, Enforcement of Civil Courts' Decisions and Penal Enforcement," organized by KAS - MOJ, explanation in Vietnamese language and training in these issues, Nha Trang, Vietnam, March 13-16, 2006
- Presentation on Common Investment Law and Unified Enterprise Law - Impacts on Vietnamese and Foreign Investors for EU Economic and Commercial Counsellors in 20 EU Embassies in Hanoi, organized by the Austrian Embassy, March 7, 2006
- Presentation on the Asean China Free Trade Agreement for the delegation of the German Industrial Chamber of Commerce in Berlin, in Hanoi, February 6, 2006
- "Contract Manufacturing And Tolling Agreements," 21st Annual Asia Pacific Tax Conference, Hong Kong, November 18, 2005
- "BOT Projects - Tax Issues of Vietnam," 21st Annual Asia Pacific Tax Conference, Hong Kong, November 17, 2005
- "Vietnam, WTO und ASEAN - Neue Perspektiven fuer Investoren," workshop on foreign direct investment, Investitionsklima und Wertschöpfungsketten, Asian Pacific Week Berlin 2005, September 26, 2005
- Presentation to the real estate drafting committee of the National Assembly of Vietnam on German Real Estates Laws and Taxation Principles of Real Estate in Germany, August 14-15, 2005
- Presentation on anti-counterfeiting in Vietnam and anti money laundering regulations and implementation in Vietnam at meeting with EU economic counselors, Dutch Embassy, June 2005
- "Investing in Vietnam and major issues for Vietnam in its accession procedure to WTO," presentation to delegates of the German Parliament (Bundestag) at German Embassy, May 17, 2005
- Presented the comments of the Vietnam Business Forum and Eurocham to the second draft of the Unified Enterprise Law (UEL) and the eighth draft of the Common Investment Law (CIL) to the drafting committee and legal department of the Ministry of Planning and Investment in Hanoi, May 16, 2005
- "Fuel Choice in Asia" and chair of the "Renewable Energy" session, Power Conference 2005 in Singapore, March 1-4, 2005
- "Law and Power - Challenges of a Globalized Economy," DAAD-Alumni Seminar for Legal Studies in Bangkok, November 20-21, 2004
- "Outsourcing in Vietnam: Tax Issues" and "Tax Incentives for Manufacturing in Vietnam", Asia Pacific Tax Conference, Singapore, November 5, 2004
- Presentation on Infrastructure Opportunities, Vietnam Investment Roundtable, Vietnam calling: open for business, organized by The Economist, Ho Chi Minh City, July 6-7, 2004
- Moderator of panel regarding Phu My 3 - an update on the largest power endeavour in Vietnam, the 7th Annual Asia Power Conference, Singapore, February 10-13, 2004
- "Cross-Border Chattel Hirings - Tax And VAT/GST Implications", Asia Pacific Tax Conference, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, November 7, 2003
- "Encouragement of Small and Medium Enterprises in Vietnam" breakfast meeting for the delegation of the German Chancellor, Mr. Gerhardt Schroeder, with the Federal Minister of Economy, Mr. Clement, and the CEO of Siemens AG, Mr. v. Pierer, as well as the CEO of Daimler-Chrysler of Vietnam, Mr. Rapp, and other representatives of German companies, May 2003
- "Foreign Investment Climate and Opportunities in Vietnam," co-organized by the Board of Investment of Thailand and the Ministry of Planning and Investment of Vietnam, Bangkok, Thailand, March 2003
- "Changes in the taxation system in Vietnam in 2002 and VAT on Cross-border Intra-group Services," Asia Pacific Tax Conference, Shanghai, China, November 2002
- "Foreign Direct Investment - The Legal Environment," co-hosted by the State Bank of Vietnam and International Monetary Fund, Hanoi, August 2002
- "Dispute Settlement in the WTO - Antidumping measures in WTO/Vietnam", organized in co-ordination of Ministry of Trade of Vietnam, Vietnam Chamber of Commerce and Industry and Baker & McKenzie, with participation of more than 200 Vietnamese enterprises, Hanoi, July 2002
- "Investment Opportunities in Vietnam and WTO Accession," Asian Pacific Conference, held by German Chamber of Commerce, Japan, July 2002
- "Vietnam's Infrastructure, Energy, Oil and Gas", Vietnam Investment and Trade 2002 Conference, held by Dataconsult and US-ASEAN Business Council in New World Hotel, Ho Chi Minh City, April 2002
- "Legal Considerations on Gas Projects in Vietnam", Vietnam Gas Conference, organized by the Asia Business Forum, Singapore, October 2001
- "BOT Power Plant Projects in Vietnam," a significant presentation after helping close a successful deal of the first BOT power plant project in Vietnam, hosted by the European Chamber Of Commerce, the American Chamber Of Commerce, the British Business Group, the Canada - Vietnam Business Association and the Overseas Vietnamese Business Association, Saigon, 27 September 2001
- "US-VN Trade Agreement", German Business Association, Ho Chi Minh City, October 1999
- Presentation on arbitration in Vietnam in International Arbitration Seminar, Bangkok, September 1999
- "International Arbitration in the Euro Tap - Viet Conference", Ho Chi Minh City, April 1999