Peggy S. Chen practices in the area of intellectual property law and litigation with a primary focus on copyright, trademark, and trade dress litigation, and commercial litigation, handling a wide variety of complex commercial disputes.
Ms. Chen has represented clients in numerous copyright and trademark infringement disputes and litigation. She has advised clients on copyright and trademark matters, including registration issues and licensing issues. She has also advised clients on data protection and privacy issues, including compliance with CCPA, GDPR and COPPA, and technology licensing agreements and issues. Her clients include major media and news organizations, arts organizations, social media and technology companies, and consumer goods companies.
Ms. Chen also has extensive experience in complex commercial litigation in both federal and state courts, including fraud, RICO, contract and business tort matters. Her clients include financial services companies, real estate companies, and technology companies.
Ms. Chen has also served as in-house counsel on secondment to a leading technology company, advising on issues of data protection and privacy, intellectual property, and software licensing agreements, among other areas.
Areas of Practice
- Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Intellectual Property and Media Law
- Privacy Law
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- Harvard Law School, J.D., cum laude, 2003
- Articles Editor, Harvard International Law Journal
- Harvard University, B.A., cum laude, 1999
- Co-author, "FINRA Extends General Postponement of In-Person Arbitration and Mediation Hearings, Provides Stats on Use of Remote Hearings," Duane Morris Alert, October 15, 2020
- Co-author, “Ethics and Trial Publicity,” New York Law Journal, January 10, 2020
- Co-author, “Defining ‘Solicitation’ In Restrictive Covenant Agreements,” Law360, August 2, 2011
- "Education or Promotion?: Industry-Sponsored Continuing Medical Education (CME) as a Center for the Core/Commercial Speech Debate," 58 Food & Drug L.J. 473, 2003
Represented news organization in numerous copyright infringement litigations, obtaining settlements the client found favorable.
Represented major media organization in large multi-party copyright infringement litigation, obtaining a settlement the client found favorable.
Represented major media organization in copyright infringement litigation, obtaining dismissal of claims and sanctions against plaintiff’s counsel.
Represented arts organization in opposition to trademark application filed before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, resulting in application being cancelled.
Advised lifestyle brand on copyright and trademark issues in designs of line of themed clothing.
Regularly advise major technology company on software licensing issues.
Regularly advise major technology company on complex privacy and data protection issues, including compliance with CCPA, GDPR, ePD and COPPA.
Represented real estate developer and executives in defense of RICO claims related to real estate projects.
Managed third party discovery for investment bank in connection with FIRREA claims brought by DOJ over the sale of securities.
Represented real estate companies in action by former shareholder alleging breach of contract and fraud claims. Plaintiff agreed to discontinue action with prejudice after we filed motion to dismiss.