Ramiro Rodriguez is an international commercial lawyer based in Singapore.
Ramiro’s sole focus is on offering simple and practical legal solutions to his clients. He is able to deliver on this thanks to his substantial experience in multiple areas of law, across several industries.
The areas of law covered by Ramiro are international arbitration, public and private M&A, joint ventures, project and asset financing and general corporate work. Industries within his expertise include fund management, receivables financing, financial technology, renewable energy and offshore oil & gas.
Ramiro is qualified to practise law in the United Kingdom (solicitor), Singapore (registered foreign lawyer authorised to practise Singapore law and foreign law under Section 36B of the Legal Profession Act of Singapore) and Colombia.
He is recognised, among others, as a recommended lawyer by The Legal 500 Asia Pacific in the practice areas of Corporate and M&A (2018-2022), Banking and Finance (2021-2022) and TMT (2018).
Ramiro is a graduate of the New York University (LL.M. in Global Business Law), the National University of Singapore (LL.M., Corporate and Financial Services Law), the Universidad del Rosario (Specialist in Banking Law) and Universidad Javeriana (LL.B.).
He is a fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (FCIArb).
Acted as lead counsel for the claimant on a US $300M ICC arbitration in the pharmaceutical industry.
Acted for a Latin American conglomerate on three SCMA arbitrations in Singapore involving disputes over chartering contracts of offshore support vessels.
Acting for a telecommunications conglomerate on an SIAC arbitration against a multinational group.
Acting as lead counsel on a shareholders’ dispute involving legal proceedings across Europe and Asia.
Advised on a US$80M dispute involving the charter of two offshore oil rigs bound from Asia to Latin America.
Advised a company on a US$50 million SIAC arbitration in Singapore involving the purchase of an oil rig.
Advised a private equity fund on a dispute with, and forced buyout of, a minority shareholder under an existing shareholders’ agreement.
Acted for an offshore subsea services company on an arbitration in India regarding the breach of a US$24 million contract.
Advised a Singapore listed company on an arbitration in Singapore involving the termination of a contract for the delivery of coal.
Acted for a private equity group on an international arbitration involving an investment in China.
Acted for a multinational offshore oil and gas services company on a potential arbitration in England involving the wrongful termination of a charter party.
Acted for a Singapore and Dubai-based commodity trading company on a SIAC arbitration against a Singapore conglomerate in the context of a shareholders’ dispute.
Advised a multinational company on an investigation and asset recovery on a US$10 million internal fraud.
Acted for a financial conglomerate on a shareholders’ dispute involving the rights of preference shareholders to recover cumulative dividends.
Advised a private equity fund on a US$400 million sale of a group of companies in the business of electronics manufacturing, to a company listed in Canada.
Advised a private equity fund on a US$200 million acquisition of a Singapore-listed company.
Acted as Singapore local counsel for an international firm advising a private equity fund seeking to make an acquisition of an Asian-based group with a substantial portfolio of clean energy assets.
Advised a financial conglomerate on a US$97 million debt restructuring exercise.
Advised an Asian government-run fund of funds on multiple investments totalling over US$50 million into various funds across Asia.
Advised on a US$20M investment into a local technology company by a top international venture capital fund and by a multilateral international body.
Advised a Singapore-listed company on a US$70 million debt restructuring exercise.
Acted as international counsel to an offshore oil and gas conglomerate in connection with the acquisition and chartering of multiple offshore supply vessels from Singapore and the Middle East.
Regularly advising fund managers on fund documentation and regulatory matters in Singapore.
Regularly advising on shareholders’ agreements, contractual joint ventures and regional investments.
Funds/PE and Transactional Work
- England and Wales
Solicitor in England & Wales
Registered as a foreign lawyer authorised to practice permitted areas of Singaporean law including mergers and acquisitions, corporate and banking law
- New York University, LL.M. in Global Business Law
- National University of Singapore, LL.M. in Corporate & Financial Services Law
- Universidad del Rosario, Bogota, Colombia, Postgraduate Degree in Banking Law
- Universidad Javeriana, Bogota, Colombia, LL.B.
Duane Morris & Selvam LLP
- Director, 2011-Present
Arfat Selvam Alliance LLC (now known as Selvam LLC)
- Associate Director, 2008-2011
- Associate, 2006-2008
- Parliament of Colombia (Bogota, Colombia)
- Lead Advisor to Member of Parliament, Ms. Gina Parody, 2004-2005
- Banco Av Villas (Bogota, Colombia)
- In-house Counsel, Legal and Compliance, 2003-2004
- Vergara Ospina Abogados (Bogota, Colombia)
- Legal Associate, 2001-2003
- Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (FCIArb)
- Associate Member, Law Society of Singapore
Honors and Awards
- Listed in The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2022 – Recommended lawyer in Corporate and M&A – Local Firms and Banking and Finance – Local Firms
- Listed in The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2021 - Recommended lawyer in Corporate and M&A - Foreign Firms and Banking and Finance - Local Firms
- Listed in The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2020 - Recommended lawyer in Corporate and M&A - Foreign Firms
Listed in The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2019 - Recommended lawyer in Corporate and M&A - Foreign Firms
Listed in The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2018 - Recommended lawyer in Corporate and M&A - Local Firms and TMT - Local Firms
Listed in The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2017 - Recommended Lawyer in Banking and Finance - Local Firms and Corporate and M&A - Foreign Firms
Listed in The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2016 for Banking and Finance - Local Firms
Selected Speaking Engagements
- Speaker, "Insights Into the Digital Ecosystems Ahead & the Structuring of Crypto-Funds," Duane Morris & Selvam Webinar, 12 May 2022
- Panelist, "Singapore, Opening the Door to Asia for Pacific Alliance Nations: A Legal and Regulatory Overview," Duane Morris & Selvam Webinar, 11 November 2021
Panelist, “Cryptocurrency at the Crossroads”, International Bar Association’s 6th Asia Pacific Regional Forum Biennial Conference, Tokyo, February 28, 2019
Speaker, “EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR),” Shilla Travel Retail Pte Ltd, Singapore, June 8, 2018
Speaker, “GDPR: How It Affects Your Business in Singapore and How You Can Remain Compliant,” Duane Morris & Selvam LLP, Singapore, May 17, 2018
- Speaker, "Equity Crowdfunding in Singapore," Duane Morris & Selvam LLP, Singapore, June 20, 2017
- Speaker, Asia Desk Forum - Special Session on Myanmar, University of Victoria, April 2015