Ramiro Rodriguez is an international dispute resolution and commercial lawyer.
Ramiro is a Latin American lawyer who has been based out of Asia for close to 15 years and is qualified to practise law in the United Kingdom, Singapore and Colombia. His unique background and qualifications enable him to provide practical and creative legal solutions to his clients.
Ramiro’s client base includes mainly private equity funds, entities in the financial sector, telecommunications and technology companies and entities in the marine and offshore oil and gas sectors.
He has extensive international experience as a transactional and dispute resolution lawyer. He is recognised, among others, as a recommended lawyer by The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2018 in the practice areas of Corporate and M&A – Local Firms and TMT– Local Firms in Singapore.
Ramiro is a graduate of the New York University (LL.M. in Global Business Law), the National University of Singapore (LL.M., Corporate and Financial Services Law), the Universidad del Rosario (Specialist in Banking Law) and Universidad Javeriana (LL.B.).
- Advised a company on a US$50 million arbitration in Singapore involving the purchase of an oilrig.
- Advised a Singapore listed company on an arbitration in Singapore involving the termination of a contract for the delivery of coal.
- Advised a private equity fund on a dispute with, and forced buyout of, a minority shareholder under an existing shareholders’ agreement.
- Acted for an offshore subsea services company on an arbitration in India regarding the breach of a US$24 million contract.
- Advised a multinational company on an investigation and asset recovery on a US$10 million internal fraud.
- Acted for a private equity group on an international arbitration involving an investment in China.
- Acted for a financial conglomerate on a shareholders’ dispute involving the rights of preference shareholders to recover cumulative dividends.
- Acted for a multinational offshore oil and gas services company on a potential arbitration in England involving the wrongful termination of a charter party.
- Advised a private equity fund on a US$200 million acquisition of a Singapore-listed company.
- Advised a Singapore-listed company on a US$70 million debt restructuring exercise.
- Advised a financial conglomerate on a US$97 million debt restructuring exercise.
- Acted as international counsel to an offshore oil and gas conglomerate in connection with the acquisition and chartering of multiple offshore supply vessels from Singapore and the Middle East.
- England and Wales
Solicitor in England & Wales
Registered as a foreign lawyer authorised to practice permitted areas of Singaporean law including mergers and acquisitions, corporate and banking law
- New York University, LL.M. in Global Business Law
- National University of Singapore, LL.M. in Corporate & Financial Services Law
- Universidad del Rosario, Bogota, Colombia, Postgraduate Degree in Banking Law
- Universidad Javeriana, Bogota, Colombia, LL.B.
Duane Morris & Selvam LLP
- Director, 2011-Present
Arfat Selvam Alliance LLC (now known as Selvam LLC)
- Associate Director, 2008-2011
- Associate, 2006-2008
- Parliament of Colombia (Bogota, Colombia)
- Lead Advisor to Member of Parliament, Ms. Gina Parody, 2004-2005
- Banco Av Villas (Bogota, Colombia)
- In-house Counsel, Legal and Compliance, 2003-2004
- Vergara Ospina Abogados (Bogota, Colombia)
- Legal Associate, 2001-2003
Honors and Awards
Listed in The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2019 - Recommended lawyer in Corporate and M&A - Foreign Firms
Listed in The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2018 - Recommended lawyer in Corporate and M&A - Local Firms and TMT - Local Firms
Listed in The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2017 - Recommended Lawyer in Banking and Finance - Local Firms and Corporate and M&A - Foreign Firms
Listed in The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2016 for Banking and Finance - Local Firms
- Author, "Monetary Authority of Singapore Relaxes Regulatory Requirements for Venture Capital Managers," Duane Morris Alert, October 25, 2017
- Co-author, "MAS Regulatory Sandbox Guidelines for FinTech ," Duane Morris & Selvam LLP, December 2016
- Quoted in "Singapore Exchange Hives Off Regulatory Functions," Wall Street Journal, July 2016
- Co-author, "SGX Updates Transaction Disclosure Requirements," Duane Morris & Selvam LLP, December 2015
- Co-author, "Crowdfunding in Singapore - Should the Floodgates Be Opened?" Duane Morris & Selvam LLP, November 2015
- Author, "New SGX Notification Measures to Enhance Regulatory Framework," Duane Morris & Selvam LLP, May 2014
Selected Speaking Engagements
Panelist, “Cryptocurrency at the Crossroads”, International Bar Association’s 6th Asia Pacific Regional Forum Biennial Conference, Tokyo, February 28, 2019
Speaker, “EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR),” Shilla Travel Retail Pte Ltd, Singapore, June 8, 2018
Speaker, “GDPR: How It Affects Your Business in Singapore and How You Can Remain Compliant,” Duane Morris & Selvam LLP, Singapore, May 17, 2018
- Speaker, "Equity Crowdfunding in Singapore," Duane Morris & Selvam LLP, Singapore, June 20, 2017
- Speaker, Asia Desk Forum - Special Session on Myanmar, University of Victoria, April 2015
Duane Morris LLP is a law firm based in the United States founded in 1904. We use "Duane Morris" to refer to Duane Morris LLP, a Delaware limited liability partnership, and affiliated entities that practice under the name Duane Morris or a similar name. Reference to a "partner" means a person who is a partner, or person with the equivalent standing and qualifications thereto, in the Duane Morris entities.
In Singapore, Duane Morris Singapore LLP and Selvam LLC operate a Joint Law Venture serving clients throughout Asia, Duane Morris & Selvam LLP, pursuant to Licence 2/2010 granted by the Attorney General of Singapore. Selvam LLC lawyers may provide services to clients of Duane Morris & Selvam under secondment from Selvam LLC pursuant to Licence 2/2010.