Suilyn Yip practices in the area of corporate law and has advised on a broad range of transactions involving cross border mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance, joint ventures and various other corporate and commercial matters. Ms. Yip also frequently advises listed companies on equity issuances, share based incentive schemes, compliance and regulatory matters.
Ms. Yip graduated with a Bachelor of Laws (LL.B.) from the Singapore Management University and was admitted as an Advocate and Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Singapore in July 2012.
Areas of Practice
- Private Equity
Regulatory and Compliance
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Advised a US-based private equity firm on its US$200 million acquisition of a Singapore listed company by way of a scheme of arrangement.
- Advised a Singapore registered fund management company on the setting up of a private equity fund with a targeted fund size of US$100 million focusing on investing in the infrastructure technology sector.
- Advised Singapore-based private equity fund on its S$100 million acquisition of properties in China through a complex holding structure and proposed joint venture with a reputed bank.
- Advised a Singapore registered fund management company on the setting up of an arbitrage fund with a particular focus on investing in listed securities in India.
- Advised a Singapore registered fund management company on the setting up of a private equity fund with a targeted fund size of US$100 million focusing on investing in the media and entertainment industry.
- Advised a syndicate of funds in connection with their acquisition of an equity stake in a software company by way of conversion of existing convertible loans and subscription for new shares.
- Advised several financial technology start-ups on regulatory compliance matters in Singapore and on all contractual arrangements required by these entities to operate.
- Advised a Singapore-based equity and debt crowdfunding platform on its successful application to the Monetary Authority of Singapore for a capital markets services licence.
- Advised companies on regulatory and contractual issues pertaining to initial coin offerings.
- Advised companies on their compliance obligations in respect of the Personal Data Protection Act 2012.
- Advised a Singapore based mobile virtual network operator on its Series A preference share funding.
- Advised a Singapore listed company on the disposal of one of its subsidiary’s business to a major FMCG player based in Singapore.
- Advised a Singaporean investment group on its investment into an international crowdfunding platform based in Israel.
- Advised a Singapore company on its acquisition of shares in two related digital payment companies operating an e-wallet in Hong Kong, with plans to develop and expand the e-wallet technology in several other jurisdictions.
- Advised a Middle Eastern sovereign wealth fund on its acquisition of a Korean construction and engineering conglomerate.
- Advised a public unlisted Korean based company on its acquisition of a various media and entertainment related entities across the Southeast Asian region.
- Advised a multinational company on its S$5.6 billion acquisition of a Singapore listed company by way of a mandatory general offer.
- Advised a Singapore listed company in respect of its Medium Term Note Programme.
- Advised a Singapore listed company in respect of a US$38 million loan facility.
- Advised a Singapore listed company on its US$52 million disposal of a vessel.
- Advised several Singapore listed companies on several corporate actions, including rights issues and interested person transactions mandates.
- Advised a Singapore company on a new product offering through an equity crowdfunding platform involving the creation of short-term notes to be issued by listed companies in Singapore.
- Advised a Singaporean telecommunications group of companies on a series of transactions involving raising finance from investors, the acquisition of a stake in local IT company, a joint venture for the development of a cloud-based solution and the restructuring of some of its existing companies.
- Advised a multinational sporting goods retail store on a number of contractual and regulatory matters across the Southeast Asian region.
- Advised a Mexican conglomerate in connection with the purchase of vessels in Singapore and China, and the chartering and re-flagging of a number of vessels in Latin America.
- Advised various Singapore companies on corporate actions, including share buybacks, capital reductions, amalgamations, and winding ups.
Private Equity/ Funds
Regulatory and Compliance
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Singapore Management University, L.L.B., 2011
Duane Morris & Selvam LLP
- Director, January 2021-present
- Associate Director, October 2018-December 2020
- Associate Director, Corporate Department, February 2018–October 2018
- Senior Associate, Corporate Department, January 2016–February 2018
- Associate, Corporate Department, August 2012–December 2015
Colin Ng & Partners LLP
- Legal Trainee, Corporate Advisory Department, January 2012–June 2012
Co-author, "MAS Regulatory Sandbox Guidelines for FinTech ," 1 December 2016