Timothy T. Brock concentrates his practice on corporate restructuring, bankruptcy and insolvency law, and its geographic scope is both national and international. He is experienced in successfully representing virtually all positions in the capital structure of insolvent enterprises and in providing broad support to the firm’s transactional practices. Mr. Brock’s wide variety of clients has included: lenders such as hedge funds, insurance companies, commercial banks and other institutional players; statutory committees of creditors and equity security holders; debtors-in-possession; insolvency investors such as high-yield mutual funds; foreign office-holders (in cross-border cases, mostly as recognized foreign representatives under Chapter 15 of the Bankruptcy Code); indenture trustees; bankruptcy trustees; a credit-rating agency; and acquirers of distressed businesses and assets.
Mr. Brock’s experience includes engagement in numerous notable and complex restructuring matters, including those affecting companies in real estate development, equipment leasing, retail, transportation, energy, entertainment, professional services, professional sports, publishing, resort management, travel, financial services and manufacturing. Mr. Brock has been engaged in numerous cross-border and international insolvency matters involving the United States and foreign jurisdictions including England, Canada, Argentina, Bermuda, Germany, Cayman, Dominican Republic, Panama, Uruguay, Barbados, Paraguay, Bahamas and Japan. Additionally, from 1996 until 2002, Mr. Brock was appointed to oversee the liquidation of certain assets of the then-largest hedge fund ever subject to Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings, the Granite Funds, in the capacity of an independent member of the post-confirmation Litigation Advisory Board.
Mr. Brock is a frequent participant in complex mediations, and has been appointed to the Registry of Mediators for the Southern District of New York. By order of the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York, he has been selected as a mediator in the Lehman bankruptcy cases and has been assigned to handle dozens of those disputes. His mediation training includes the acclaimed Joint ABI & St. John’s University Law School 40-Hour Mediation Training Program.
Areas of Practice
- Business Insolvency, Restructuring & Creditors' Rights
- Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- INSOL Fellow, International Global Insolvency Practice, LL.M.-level program
- State University of New York at Buffalo School of Law, J.D.
- Executive Editor, Buffalo Law Review
- Case Western University Weatherhead School of Management, M.S.
- Beta Gamma Sigma
- State University of New York at Oneonta, B.A.
- Alumni of Distinction Honoree
Honors and Awards
- Listed in New York Metro Super Lawyers, 2008-2020
- AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®
- Appointed to the Registry of Mediators for the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- American Bar Association
- Committee on Business Bankruptcy
- Section of International Law
"Canada’s ‘Northern Lights’ Could Dispel Shadow of Bear Stearns over Chapter 15 Practice,” XXX No.9 ABI Journal 34 (2011)
"How the Assault on Offshore Havens in Bear Stearns Undermines New Chapter 15: Part I and Part II," XXVI No. 10 ABI Journal 34 (2007) and XXVII No. 1 ABI Journal 24 (2008), respectively
Co-author, "Fairfield Sentry Ltd. and the New Dawn for Cross-Border Recognition in Manhattan," No. 6 ABI Committee News: International Committee Newsletter, November 2010
Author, "Pre-Packaged Plans of Reorganization," Outline for the Practising Law Institute
Contributor, New York Law Journal Annual Survey of Bankruptcy Law
Selected Speaking Engagements
Lecturer, Levin Graduate Institute of International Relations and Commerce, a joint NYC program of the SUNY Buffalo Schools of Management and Law
Lecturer, Columbia University’s Graduate School of Business/Executive MBA Program