Tracy L. McCreight practices in all aspects of complex commercial litigation and construction litigation, including contract, real estate, general business and partnership disputes, including pre-litigation dispute resolution. In her construction practice, Ms. McCreight focuses on representing owners in construction defect matters and contract disputes.
Ms. McCreight is a 2002 graduate, with honors, of the University of Texas Schol of Law and a magna cum laude graduate of the University of Maryland.
Areas of Practice
Construction Law and Litigation
Obtained a $7.9 million arbitration award for a limited partner who is a majority equity investor in the construction and operation of a high-end living community for adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
Represented a joint venture which included an Engineering News-Record top five firm, managing the legal issues and relationship with a governmental agency owner during completion of major civil infrastructure that experienced significant delays and defects; then resolved a $40 million claim by the governmental agency owner against the client for a fraction of the claim, via an “early” mediation process, conducted virtually. This matter is thought to be the largest construction suit in Travis County/Austin history.
- Obtained a jury verdict for a hotel owner on a foundation defect case.
- Obtained a multi-mllion dollar arbitration award for hotel owner concerning claims of breach of contract against a general contractor in which its parent company was found liable for fraud; had arbitration award confirmed in federal court against parent company, a non-signatory to the contract.
- Obtained an arbitration award for a real estate investor and defeated the opposing party’s efforts to vacate the award.
- Obtained an arbitration award for an online university against a claim made by a former student.
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- University of Texas School of Law, J.D., with honors, 2002
- University of Maryland, B.A., magna cum laude, 1994
Duane Morris LLP
- Partner, 2019-present
Munsch Hardt Kopf & Harr PC
- Shareholder, 2013-2019
- Associate, 2012-2013
The Davis Group Attorneys & Counselors PC
- Attorney, 2010-2012
Weil Gotshal & Manges LLP
- Associate, 2004-2009
Gray Cary Ware & Freidenrich LLP
- Associate, 2003-2004
- Law Clerk, 2002
- Duane Morris Women's Impact Network for Success (WINS) Steering Committee
Travis County Women Lawyers’ Association, 2011-present
- President, 2018-2019
- President-elect, 2017-2018
- Board of Directors, 2014-present
- Mentor, 2013-2018
Travis County Women Lawyers’ Foundation
- Chair, 2019-2020
Center for Women in Law Institute at Texas Law
Barbara Jordan Inn of Court
- Barrister, 2016-2018
Austin Bar Association
- Civil Litigation and Construction Sections, 2009-present
Honors and Awards
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America, 2021
Civic and Charitable Activities
Volunteer Legal Services of Central Texas
- Pro Bono Family Law Attorney, 2011-2016
Big Brothers and Big Sisters of New York City
- Workplace Mentor, 2005-2007
Selected Speaking Engagements
- Speaker, "Construction Disputes: Strategies and Best Practices to Manage Complexities and Challenges," The Knowledge Group Online CLE, April 28, 2020
- Speaker, "Half-Day Ethics CLE," Travis County Women Lawyers’ Association, Austin, Texas, March 6, 2020
Speaker, "Trends and Updates in Contracts Litigation: Tips and Tactics Explored," The Knowledge Group, Webinar, November 18, 2019
Speaker, "Third-Party Practice: Risks and Rewards of RTPs vs TPDs," State Bar of Texas Construction Law Section Annual Construction Law Conference 2019, San Antonio, Texas, March 1, 2019
Speaker, "Managing Engineering Liability and Risk Seminar," Half Moon Education Inc., Austin, Texas, January 25, 2019
Moderator, "In-House Counsel Pop Quiz: Recent Trends in Texas Law,” Association of Corporate Counsel, Austin, Texas, August 2, 2018
- Mentioned in "How We Won a $7.9 Million Arbitration Award: Construction Litigator Talks Shop," Texas Lawyer, October 22, 2020
Author, "Third-Party Practice: Risks and Rewards of RTPs vs TPDs," State Bar of Texas Construction Law Section Annual Construction Law Conference 2019, San Antonio, Texas, March 1, 2019
Author, "Joint and Several Contractual Liability and Settlement Credits: A Look at the 'One Satisfaction Rule in Texas,'" State Bar of Texas, Construction Section, Annual Conference, March 2017
Author, "At What Point Does a Surety’s Obligation Pursuant to a Performance Bond Terminate?" Construction News, May 25, 2016
Author, "10 Tips for Reducing the Risk of a Contract Dispute," Construction Executive Risk Management, October 27, 2015