Alice M. Shanahan has extensive experience representing and counseling clients in highly complex environmental matters in New Jersey and New York. She handles all aspects of environmental law, including policy, enforcement, regulatory compliance, settlements with regulatory entities, pursuit of potentially responsible parties, permits, audits, remediation, transactions, property transfers, Superfund matters, environmental risk assessments and management of environmental liabilities.
Ms. Shanahan’s practice has a special emphasis on contamination from downstream petroleum operations and soil and groundwater contamination. She serves as lead counsel for the petrochemical and gasoline industries at major environmental remediation sites and in cost-recovery claims involving environmental agencies and third parties. In doing so, she often leads teams of professionals—including hydrogeologists, chemists, consultants and engineers—to develop the best case.
Ms. Shanahan also negotiates and drafts documents involving consent decrees, orders and stipulations with regulatory entities, settlements, cost allocation and indemnification, and the sale, transfer, remediation and development of contaminated properties, such as former refineries, terminals and gasoline stations.
Ms. Shanahan is a 2001 cum laude graduate of George Washington University Law School, where she was a member of The Environmental Lawyer Law Journal and a graduate of George Washington University School of Public Health & Health Services (M.A., 2001) and The College of the Holy Cross (B.A., cum laude, 1998), where she was elected to Phi Beta Kappa.
- New Jersey
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- The George Washington University Law School, J.D., cum laude, 2001
- Member, The Environmental Lawyer Law Journal
- George Washington University School of Public Health & Health Services, George Washington University School of Public Health & Health Services, 2001
- College of the Holy Cross, B.A., cum laude, 1998
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Duane Morris LLP
- Partner, 2022-present
- McCusker, Anselmi, Rosen, & Carvelli PC
- Partner, 2004-2022
- Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith, Ravin, Davis & Himmel LLP
- Associate, 2001-2004
- American Bar Association
- Lifetime Fellow
Civic and Charitable Activities
- America Needs You
- Member of New Jersey Board
- Girl Scouts of Northern New Jersey
- Troop Leader