Breeana J. Somers is a trial lawyer with significant experience representing banks, servicers, auto finance companies and commercial lenders in state and federal courts. Ms. Somers handles a wide variety of banking-related matters, including claims involving bank regulations, the Uniform Commercial Code, NACHA rules, Fair Credit Reporting Act, Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, Telephone Consumer Protection Act, Electronic Fund Transfer Act, Truth in Lending Act and Bank Secrecy laws. Ms. Somers has successfully represented clients through all stages of the litigation process, from pre-litigation investigation through trial and appellate proceedings.
Ms. Somers serves on the Philadelphia office Recruitment and Retention Committee. Ms. Somers is a 2018 cum laude graduate of Temple University Beasley School of Law, where she was the lead research editor of the Temple International and Comparative Law Journal and earned a certificate in trial advocacy, and a graduate of Temple University.
Obtained dismissal with prejudice of a putative class action, alleging violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act based on efforts to collect a time barred debt, in the New Jersey U.S. District Court on behalf of a bank’s debt collector vendor.
Obtained dismissal of plaintiff’s common-law negligence claim brought against an auto finance company in a lawsuit involving identity fraud.
Represented a national bank in voidable transfer litigation with a bankruptcy trustee.
Obtained denial of a preliminary injunction motion filed by the plaintiff, a Massachusetts-based refractories company, against its former Vice President.
Represented client in application to obtain guardianship of adult, intellectually disabled son.
Obtained settlement for prisoner in pro bono civil rights action alleging arresting police officers profiled and assaulted him.
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- Temple University Beasley School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2018
- Lead Research Editor, Temple International and Comparative Law Journal
- Certificate in Trial Advocacy
- Temple University, B.A., 2013
Duane Morris LLP
- Associate, 2018-present
- Philadelphia Bar Association
-Young Lawyers Division
-Women in the Profession Committee; Liaison to the Young Lawyers Division, 2021-Present
- “We the Speakers” Club, Toastmasters International
-Executive Board Member, 2021-Present
Co-author, "Third Circuit Reverses on Restrictive Covenant Agreement's Enforceability in New Jersey," Duane Morris Alert, May 13, 2019
Selected Speaking Engagements
- Presenter, “The Ethics and Challenges of Working Remotely," TD Bank In-House Attorneys, May 3, 2021
- Presenter, “The Ethics and Challenges of Working Remotely," Association of Corporate Counsel of Greater Philadelphia, December 3, 2020
Presenter, "Legal Ethics Rules for Practicing Before Government Agencies," Comcast In-House Attorneys, June 20, 2019
Presenter, "Lessons in Legal Ethics for Financial Services Industry Attorneys," TD Bank In-House Attorneys, December 11, 2018