Daniel R. Pierce practices in the areas of corporate and intellectual property law. Mr. Pierce represents clients in various business transactional matters, including mergers and acquisitions, venture capital investments and commercial lending transactions. Mr. Pierce also has significant experience representing clients with respect to licensing, sponsored research and other transactions involving patents, trademarks, software and other intellectual property.
Mr. Pierce's clients have included emerging businesses as well as seasoned companies, and are involved in a wide variety of industries, including high-tech, biotechnology, Internet and IT, broadcast media, food and beverage and traditional manufacturing.
A member of the Boston Bar Association, Mr. Pierce is a 1998 magna cum laude graduate of the Boston University School of Law, where he was a member of the Boston University Law Review, and a cum laude graduate of the University of Massachusetts.
Areas of Practice
- Corporate Law
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Emerging Businesses
- Venture Capital
- Securities Law
- Intellectual Property Law
- Represented Clock Spring Company, Inc., the world’s leading manufacturer of composite pipeline repair solutions, in its merger with Neptune Research, LLC to create ClockSpring|NRI, and its acquisition by private equity firm Wind Point Partners. Clock Spring and NRI are manufacturers of composite materials, valves, and gaskets used in the transmission pipeline, refinery and petrochemical, water, utility, and civil infrastructure industries.
- Represented INNODATA INC. (NASDAQ: INOD) in connection with the acquisition by its MediaMiser subsidiary of the "Agility" global media contact database and media monitoring platform from PR Newswire.
- Represented Altamil S.A. and its affiliates Deported B.V. and Electro Chango S.A. de C.V. , in the sale of Kerbal Space Program, a space simulation game, to Take-Two Interactive Software, an American distributor of video games.
- Represented Ology Bioservices Inc. in a purchase from Baxalta, formerly Baxter International's BioScience division, of its Vero cell technology, and the vaccine production facility in Bohumil, Czech Republic. The Vero platform is a cell-based technology for vaccines production. The principal products acquired are flu vaccines for H5N1, H1N1 and seasonal influenza as well as other investigational vaccine programs including Ross River virus, Chikungunya disease and West Nile virus.
- Represented J.F. White Contracting Company, a leading heavy/civil contractor in the New England region, in a series of related transactions, including the redemption of shares held by its ESOP, the sale of 100% of its remaining outstanding shares to Dragados Construction USA, Inc. (a subsidiary of publicly-traded ACS Actividades de Construccion y Servicios SA), and the spin-off of certain assets to a newly formed limited liability company.
- Represented Balchem Corporation (NASDAQ:BCPC) in its acquisition of Performance Chemicals & Ingredients Company (d/b/a SensoryEffects), a privately held supplier of customized food and beverage ingredient systems, for a purchase price of $567 million in cash.
- Represented Treventis Corporation in securing a $4.4 million Seeding Drug Discovery Award from the Wellcome Trust to continue development of a potentially disease-modifying drug for the treatment of Alzheimer's disease.
- Represented Oligomerix, Inc., a biotechnology start-up focused on developing disease-modifying therapeutics for Alzheimer's and related neurodegenerative disorders, in connection with a $2.8 million Series B financing, which includes both issuance of new convertible preferred shares and warrants from both current and new investors.
- Represented Oligomerix, Inc., a biotechnology start-up focused on developing disease-modifying therapeutics for Alzheimer’s and related neurodegenerative disorders, in connection with a $2.4 million Series A financing provided by angel and venture capital investors.
- Represented a Mexican manufacturer of electronic component parts in the acquisition of the assets of a manufacturer of electrolytic motor start capacitors.
- Represented a Mexican manufacturer of electronic component parts in the acquisition of the assets of a manufacturer of foil-etching technology.
- Represented Localocracy, LLC, an online platform for citizen engagement in their local communities, in the sale of all of its assets to the HuffingtonPost Media Group.
- Represented a developer and publisher of consumer and educational software in the acquisition of several nationally known consumer software titles from an educational and trade publisher.
- Represented Multimodal Technologies, Inc. in the sale of 100 percent of its outstanding equity securities in a reverse triangular merger to Miami Acquisition Corp., a wholly owned subsidiary of Medquist Holdings, Inc. (NASDAQ:MEDH), for an aggregate purchase price of approximately $130 million, including approximately $50 million in cash at closing, approximately $50 million in Medquist common stock at closing, and approximately $30 million of deferred payments payable in three annual installments.
- Represented Penion Group, LLC, an investment company focusing on small to mid-size business in the Boston area, in its acquisition of the assets of Lynn Manufacturing, Inc. and its affiliates.
- Represented NASDAQ-traded medical device company in strategic acquisition of privately-held company, including spin-off of unrelated technology and cross-licensing arrangement.
- Represented defense contractor and UK subsidiary in sale of assets to large public-company acquirer.
- Represented online career search business in sale of assets.
- Represented a drug-discovery company in the autism field in three rounds of growth-stage financing (Series B, Series B-1 and convertible notes), raising in excess of $15 million.
- Represented a drug-discovery company in the autism field in a $6.5 million Series A round from friends, family and angels.
- Represented a large India-based venture capital firm in both Series D and Series E investments a Silicon-Valley IT company.
- Represented biotechnology company in a stock-for-stock merger with publicly-traded acquirer.
- Represented a coal gasification start-up in its seed round (convertible debt) and Series A round.
- Represented a startup in the food and beverage industry in seed and series A rounds.
- Represented a startup in the food and beverage industry in its sale to a nationally branded premium spirits company.
- Represented boutique investment bank in $35 million investments made by two private equity firms.
- Represented broadcast media company in major corporate restructuring and several convertible-debt offerings.
- Represented Singapore-based private equity fund in the formation of two U.S.-based feeder funds and related compliance matters.
- Represented major service provider to nuclear power industry in $150+ million sale to a consortium of private equity firms.
- Represented Waters Corporation in $23 million acquisition of Rheology Business of Rheometric Scientific, Inc.
- Represented Waters Corporation in acquisition of Creon Lab Control, AG and its subsidiaries.
- Boston University School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 1998
- Duane Morris LLP
- Partner, 2007-present
- Associate, 2003-2006
- Schnader Harrison Goldstein & Manello, Boston, Massachusetts
- Associate, 1998-2002
- Mentor, Judge and Speaker
- National Association of Corporate Directors
- Programming Committee, New England Chapter, 2008-2010
Honors and Awards
- Super Lawyers, Massachusetts Rising Stars, 2005-2011
Selected Speaking Engagements
"What's Happening in the Indian Market," Duane Morris LLP, September 2018
- "U.S. Legal Basics for Start-Ups," Skolkovo Innovation Center Energy Efficiency Cluster, January 2012
- "Legal Basics for Entrepreneurs," Moscow State University Guest Incubator Program, October 2011
- "Investors' Term Sheets - Deconstructed and Demystified," Harvard Business School - Entrepreneurship Club, March 2010
- "An Entrepreneur's Practical Guide to Forming a New Business," Harvard Business School - Entrepreneurship Club, November 2009