Dawnn E. Briddell is a member of the firm's Trial Practice Group and concentrates her practice in the areas of public construction and Asbestos and Toxic Tort litigation. Ms. Briddell is an experienced trial litigator, serving as a former assistant district attorney for the Office of the DeKalb County District Attorney in Georgia, where she was assigned to the Interstate Child Support Enforcement Division. She also served as an assistant solicitor-general with the DeKalb County Solicitor-General's Office, where she was a senior trial attorney. She was later appointed a special assistant solicitor-general to serve as the first special domestic violence prosecutor handling high-risk offender cases.
Ms. Briddell currently represents corporate clients in asbestos-related litigation in Pennsylvania and New Jersey state court actions. She has assisted agency clients with compliance under the New Jersey Local Public Contracts Law and private clients with construction matters from contract preparation through litigation. She has represented municipalities, county authorities and school districts as counsel and special counsel in connection with public contracts bid solicitation and compliance and local governance.
Ms. Briddell was a member of the District IV Ethics Committee for Camden and Gloucester Counties from 2009 through 2014, where she represented the Committee as the Chair for the 2012-2014 Terms, Vice Chair for the 2011-2012 Term, and Investigator for the 2009-2011 Terms.
Ms. Briddell is a 1986 graduate of the Rutgers University School of Law-Camden and a summa cum laude graduate of the University of Maryland, European Division.
Areas of Practice
- Asbestos/Products Liability/Toxic Torts
- Public Construction/Public Bidding
- Private Construction
- Obtained summary judgment in an asbestos litigation case filed in the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas. Plaintiff demanded $965,000 to settle all claims against the client.
- Represents automotive manufacturer in asbestos-related litigation in Pennsylvania state court
- Represents forklift manufacturer in asbestos-related litigation in New Jersey state court
- Represented a county improvement authority in public contract solicitation and procurement in a $150,000,000 justice complex renovations and expansion project
- Successfully represented a county improvement authority on appeals from trial court decision affirming rejection of low bidders for failure to comply with owner-imposed mandatory bid specifications not statutorily required
- New Jersey
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- Court of Appeals of Georgia
- Supreme Court for the State of Georgia
- Supreme Court of Pennsylvania
- New Jersey Supreme Court
- Rutgers School of Law - Camden, J.D., 1986
- Duane Morris LLP
- Associate, 2009-present
- Wolf Block LLP
- Associate, 2006-2009
-- Appointed to 2008 WolfBlock Diversity Committee
-- Selected to participate in the 2009 New Jersey Law Firm Mentor-Mentee Program
- Harvey C. Johnson, P.C.
- Associate, August 2005-December 2005
- Office of the DeKalb County, Georgia, District Attorney
- Assistant District Attorney, Interstate Child Support Enforcement Division, 2003-May 2005
- Office of the DeKalb County Solicitor-General
- Special Domestic Violence Prosecutor, 2002-2003
- Senior Trial Attorney, 1998-2003
- Harvey C. Johnson, P.C.
- Associate, 1991-1995
- Lewis & Wood, P.C.
- Associate, 1990-1991
- Caplan & Luber, P.C.
- Associate, 1989-1990
- Defenders' Association of Philadelphia
-Trial Attorney, 1987-1989
- Camden Regional Legal Services, Inc.
- Staff Attorney, 1986-1987
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Board of Trustee Member, Camden County Bar Association, 2014-2016
- American Bar Association
- Georgia Bar Association
- Georgia Association of Black Women Attorneys, 1999-2005
- Chair, District IV Ethics Committee, Camden/Gloucester Counties, State of New Jersey 2012-2014 Terms
- Vice Chair, District IV Ethics Committee, Camden/Gloucester Counties, State of New Jersey, 2011-2012 Term
- Member/Investigator, District IV Ethics Committee, Camden/Gloucester Counties, State of New Jersey, Appointed by the Supreme Court of New Jersey for 2009-2013, extended for 2013-2014 Term
Civic and Charitable Activities
- Board of Trustee Member, Food Bank of South Jersey, 2010-2014
- Spokesperson, Concerned Parishioners of St. Bart's, 2008-2007
- Successfully Challenged Diocese of Camden Church Closing Decision
- Author, "Pa. Superior Court Confirms Statutory Right of Repose for Improvements to Real Estate in Asbestos Cases," Duane Morris Alert, July 8, 2014
Selected Speaking Engagements
- Speaker, "Diverse Voices," NJSBA Diversity Committee, New Brunswick, New Jersey, October 22, 2015
- Presenter, "Comparative Legal Ethics—PA, NJ & Model Rules," Camden County Bar Association CLE Program, Haddonfield, New Jersey, April 8, 2014
- Presenter, "Drafting Arbitration Clauses: Tread Carefully," Duane Morris LLP, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Trial Practice Group Meeting, December 9, 2011
- Presenter, "Drafting Arbitration Clauses: Tread Carefully," Duane Morris LLP, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, CSAL Meeting, September 28, 2011
- Speaker, Pennsylvania Bar Institute's Primer on Mechanics' Liens and Bond Claims, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, August 30, 2011
- Speaker, "Shaking the Money Tree: Funding Our Way Out of the Infrastructure Crisis," ABA Forum on the Construction Industry 2010 Annual Meeting, Austin, Texas, April 22, 2010