Dominica C. Anderson, managing partner of Duane Morris' Las Vegas office, practices in both the firm's Las Vegas and San Francisco offices. She serves as a team lead for the Duane Morris Fashion, Retail and Consumer Branded Products industry group. She also is a member of the firm's Executive Committee and the firm's governing Partners Board and is vice-chair of the Duane Morris Women's Impact Network for Success Steering Committee.
Ms. Anderson has over 30 years of experience in high stakes commercial litigation, including representing insurance companies in complex insurance coverage cases, CGL and D&O throughout the U.S., and works with numerous clients to resolve issues abroad. Additionally, she represents businesses in complex contract disputes; unfair competition; business interference; false advertising; securities; antitrust; defamation; e-commerce and intellectual property issues; domain name disputes; and trademark, trade secrets and copyright issues.
She also is a trusted advisor to and represents iconic and budding fashion designers and related companies, and retail entities as part of Duane Morris’ Fashion, Retail, Luxury and Consumer Goods practice group.
A member of the American Bar Association, President and Board Chair of the Professional BusinessWomen of California, and a member of the National Association of Women Lawyers, Ms. Anderson is a 1986 cum laude graduate of the University of San Francisco Law School and a graduate, with high honors, of the University of California at Berkeley, where she was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. She has received numerous honors and awards over the years and has been on the California Super Lawyers list for over 10 years.
- Representing an insurer in an asbestos bankruptcy case in Washington bankruptcy court, obtaining a complete victory at the district court appellate level in a case of first impression involving the use of a section 363 sale and a 105 injunction relating to insurance settlements.
- Affirmance by California Court of Appeal of ground-breaking rulings limiting rights to Cumis counsel, as well as of money judgment against policyholder for reimbursement of Cumis fees that had been paid by insurer.
- On behalf of national insurers, defended and settled alleged $3 billion pollution case that arose, in part, from mining operations.
- Defended and settled large fraud suit brought against international insurers.
- Won subrogation trial requiring another insurer to tender to our client the full limits of its policy for its portion of the settlement of an underlying wrongful death action.
- Defended to a settlement large coverage action brought by state utilities company for coverage relating to pollution from various chemicals and waste on behalf of international insurer.
- In federal court, won motion for summary judgment to recover monies fronted by insurer on behalf of its insured in settlement of underlying suit on behalf of a national insurer.
- On behalf of international insurer, successfully appealed an asbestos bankruptcy 524(g) action involving alleged billions of dollars.
- On behalf of international insurer, defended a "Wellington Arbitration" involving non-products allegations, resulting in a favorable ruling on motion for summary judgment.
- Defended large coverage actions brought by petrochemical and oil companies arising out of air and ground pollution from solvents, chemicals, pesticides, and waste involving both property damage and bodily injuries.
- Defended multiple D&O coverage matters arising out of non-profit policies on behalf of a national insurer.
- On behalf of national insurers, prosecuted multiple actions against co-insurers for contribution.
- Representing national insurer in complex coverage action arising from alleged $3 billion pollution site in Washington state.
- Represented to resolution national insurer in multi-million dollar pollution case in San Diego, CA.
- Representing national insurer in large airport tower defect matter.
- Representing national insurer in resolution of a defamation case.
- Representing national insurer in multiple coverage cases involving construction projects.
- Represented European insurer in resolution of first party property claim in Colorado.
- Represented national insurer in resolving large employment suit in Brazil.
- Representing European insurer in large receivership in Washington state involving asbestos claims.
- Representing European insurers in large coverage case relating to asbestos in Los Angeles.
- Representing national insurer in multi-party litigation before the Navajo Nation involving underground storage tanks.
- Represented national insurer in resolution of D+O case relating to air race collision.
- Representing national insurer in defending pollution coverage case in Iowa.
- Represented national insurer in resolution of variety of claims including product defect, bad animal feed, personal injury, defamation, breach of contract, violations by HOA Boards, wrongful death, and design defects, etc.
- Opposed a preliminary injunction, thereby allowing the majority owners of an Indian airline to proceed with the scheduled sale of the airline.
- On behalf of digital cable television and telecommunications provider pursued Lanham Act suit.
- On behalf of Swiss financial institutions, defended securities violation suit in federal court involving alleged corporate takeover of oil well company.
- Defended and obtained a dismissal of antitrust and conspiracy action in federal court on behalf of an international distributor of infrastructure, energy and water works company.
- On behalf of large international casino, defended breach of contract action and prosecuted multimillion-dollar construction defect litigation arising out of large show room in casino.
- On behalf of international business owner, prosecuted defamation suit.
- On behalf of international casino and resort, defended and secured a dismissal of a large breach of contract action arising out of procurement of new development and won multiple sanction awards against the plaintiff.
- Defended to a settlement a stockholder dispute action in federal court on behalf of start-up alternative fuel company.
- Prosecuted an action arising out of a wrongful death action on the permissive user issue, resulting in a settlement that the client, a national insurer, found favorable.
- Defended to a settlement a large mechanics lien arising out of a large casino show room on behalf of construction company.
- Represented communications company in numerous employee related suits.
- Represented owners of large casino/gaming corporation in bet the company breach of contract case.
- Represented large financial institution in large fraud case.
- Representing owner of casino/gaming corporation in defamation case.
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- California Second District Court of Appeal
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the District of Nevada
- University of San Francisco School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 1986
Editor, Law Review
- University of California, Berkeley, A.B., high honors, 1983
Phi Beta Kappa
Duane Morris LLP
- Managing Partner, Las Vegas, 2006 - present
- Partner, 2006-present
- Executive Committee, 2019-present
- Partners Board, 2010-present
- Steering Committee, Women's Initiative, 2006-2013; Vice-Chair, 2014-present
- Hancock Rothert & Bunshoft LLP
- Managing Partner, Las Vegas, 2005
- Partner, 1994-2005
- Associate, 1986 - 1994
- San Francisco City Attorney's Office
- Law Clerk, 1983-1985
President and Board Chair, Professional BusinessWomen of California (PBWC)
Elected as a Fellow of the American College of Coverage and Extracontractual Counsel (ACCEC)
American Bar Association
- Insurance Practice Section
-- Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee
--- Co-Chair, CGL Subcommittee, 2008-2010
---- Co-Chair, Practice & Business Development Subcommittee, 2011-2019
- Clark County Bar Association
- National Association of Women Lawyers
- Vice-Chair, Duane Morris Women's Impact Network for Success
Duane Morris Partners Board
Duane Morris LLP team lead, Fashion/Retail/Consumer Branded Produts Industry Group
Honors and Awards
- Recipient, Cheryl Blackwell Bryson Leadership Award, Duane Morris Women's Impact Network for Success, October 2015
California Super Lawyer, 2004-2019
- Listed in Distinguished Women and Men in Nevada, 2014
- Listed in VEGAS INC's Top Lawyers: The Best of the Best in Southern Nevada, 2013
- Listed in The Top Women Attorneys in Northern California, 2012
- Recipient of the Virginia S. Mueller Outstanding Member Award from the National Association of Women Lawyers, 2011
- AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®
Professional BusinessWomen of California
- President and Board Chair
- Dress for Success, Southern Nevada
- Board of Directors
Las Vegas Fashion Council
- Advisory Board
The Pocket Palette
- Advisory Board
The Clap Project
- Advisory Board
Selected Speaking Engagements
Speaker, "How Great Minds Can Differ: Policyholder, Primary and Excess Insurer Interests in Multi-State Litigation," American College of Coverage Counsel 7th Annual Meeting, May 10, 2019
Speaker, "Indemnity Agreements, NDA, and Auditor Letters: 10 Things You Want to Know," Medical Professional Liability Association, Portland, Maine, October 11, 2018
- Moderator, Women Founders and Funders (WFF) Connect, New York, August 15, 2017
- Moderator, "Understanding What Investors Say When You Leave The Room," Women Founders and Funders (WFF) Connect, SF Bay Area, April 5, 2017
- Panelist, "Is Talc the New Asbestos? Will the History of Asbestos and Silica Impact the Answer to That Question?" Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee CLE Seminar, Tucson, AZ, March 2, 2017
- Speaker and Moderator, "Automatic Right to Independent Counsel? Maybe Not so Automatic Anymore..." ABA Women in Insurance Annual Conference, Washington, D.C., October 20, 2016
- Presenter, "Solving the Problem of What Keeps you Up at Night in the Fashion/Retail Industry," Alley to the Valley Event, Yale Club, New York City, June 9, 2016
- Organizer of the Duane Morris Women's Initiative Dress for Success Clothing Drive, Fox News, Las Vegas, April 23, 2015
- Presenter, "2015 Gender Equality Practices: Transforming Work Culture," San Francisco Department on the Status of Women, San Francisco, January 30, 2015
- Speaker, "ECO/XPL and the Mega-Verdict: Is This the New Normal?" PIAA Corporate Counsel Workshop, Vancouver, October 16, 2014
- Speaker, "The Perils of Claims Involving Multiple Insureds," Annual Physician Insurers Association of America 2012 Medical Liability Conference, Washington, D.C., May 10, 2012
- Speaker, "Making Rain in the Desert: From Movies to Reality," ABA Insurance Coverage Litigation Seminar, Tuscon, Arizona, March 1, 2012
- Speaker, "The Insurability of Punitive Damages," Physician Insurers Association of America Legal Workshop, San Francisco, November 13, 2008
- Speaker, "Confronting Catastrophe: Pandemics, Hurricanes, Terrorists - Oh My!" ABA Insurance Coverage Litigation Seminar, Tucson, Arizona, February 28, 2008
- Speaker, "Preservation of Evidence: Where We Are and Where We're Going," Association of California Insurance Companies, XVII General Counsel Conference, Las Vegas, Nevada, July 19-21, 2006
- Interviewed on Sky Radio, broadcast on United Airlines and American Airlines Business Hour, The Asbestos Bankruptcy Crisis, 2006
- Speaker, "The Next Generation of Asbestos Bankruptcies," ACI's 7th National Litigating, Settling and Managing Asbestos Claims Conference, Las Vegas, Nevada, June 15-16, 2006
- Speaker, "Running the Numbers: Effectively Preparing, Presenting or Attacking the Insured's Damages Case," ABA Insurance Coverage Litigation Seminar, Tucson, Arizona, March 2-4, 2006
- Moderator, "Asbestos Litigation 2004: California and Its Impact on National Litigation," University of San Francisco, San Francisco, California, May 7, 2004
- Speaker, "How the London Insurance Market Works," Mealey's Conference, West Palm Beach, Florida, November 2001
- Moderator, "Fundamental of Insurance Litigation," CEB Conference, San Francisco, California, April 2001
Co-author, "Talc Litigation and Insurance Implications," Duane Morris Insurance and Reinsurance Blog, March 22, 2017
- "Nevada Supreme Court Holds That California Cumis Rule Applies In Nevada, But An Actual Conflict Is A Prerequisite For Independent Counsel," Duane Morris Insurance Law Blog, October 5, 2015
- "Docket Science," San Francisco/Los Angeles Daily Journal, August 28, 2009
- "Federal District Court in Nevada Rules Insurer Has Right to Reimbursement for Settlement Monies Paid for Non-Covered Damages," Duane Morris Alert, June 4, 2008
- "The Asbestos Litigation System in the San Francisco Bay Area: A Paradigm of the National Asbestos Litigation Crisis," The Santa Clara Law Review, December 2004
- "Case Management and Other Pretrial Considerations: The Insurer's Perspective: Environmental Insurance Coverage Claims," Practising Law Institute, 1995